Interests: Fine Wine and Ales
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,848
[0.20% of all post / 0.75 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: times tables
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 9:27:43 AM
Ah, nostalgia is not what it used to be! I remember being delighted to find a forgotten half-crown (2/6)in my bedside drawer.

“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.” ~ Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Topic: good and proper
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 9:09:44 AM
lazarius wrote:
towan52 wrote:
Lazarius's use of colloquialisms is impressive but regrettably inaccurate.

That's because I speak English by halves. Guess what it would be if I went round the bend. :)

-

The grass is always greener round the bend!

“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.” ~ Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Topic: good and proper
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 2:37:13 PM
Not exactly, "very well" is used either as an acknowledgment or to suggest good quality. "Completely" is the best synonym for "good and proper". Lazarius's use of colloquialisms is impressive but regrettably inaccurate.

Flat out = top speed
whole hog = everything possible
clean off her rocker = totally insane

Topic: craggy actor
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:01:26 PM
It could either mean that he being stony-faced or that he has sharp pieces of rock sticking out of his boat-race (phizog) Whistle Applause Applause

Topic: times tables
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 9:36:35 AM
I think the 12 times table finishes up being really gross. Whistle

Topic: Gaza: Nakba day protests as Palestinians bury those killed in embassy unrest
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 10:22:50 AM
It all reminds me (rather sadly) of a reported, perhaps apocryphal, conversation between two British soldiers in Ulster during "the troubles": "I don't think God is on either side."

Topic: Go electric
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 3:34:08 PM
First "electric" is an adjective describing "one". The second, I believe, is an adverb, modifying "went". But I'm not an grammer expertly! Whistle

Topic: In the afternoon of May 11
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 11:21:42 AM
... and most other necks!

Topic: on an urgent basis
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 9:42:58 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:
Please complete this assignment on an urgent basis.

Do native speakers use "on an urgent basis" to mean "urgently"?

Thanks.

I would say urgently myself, but some people ( particularly those higher up in management) like to use more words than are needed to make themselves seem important.

Sometimes referred to as "corporate crap-speak".

Topic: Shakespeare in modern life
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 9:31:11 AM
Forsooth! and heaven forfend - that is vastly comedic! Unto the breeches ... Whistle

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.