Statistics
Number of Posts: 260
[0.03% of all post / 0.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: DOES GOD EXISTS
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 7:19:47 AM
Epiphileon wrote:
Jacob wrote:
I am bound to say it again: If God exists for me, then God exists. That cannot be denied or disputed.

Hi Jacob, this quote was embedded in one of your posts in the "Ridiculous" thread, and I figured responding to it here made more sense.
It seems to me that this only establishes that the concept of God exists in your mind but, does not establish the actual existence of the actual entity.

This is most interesting. As you say Epi, this way of reasoning establishes that God exists in a given person's mind. I wish more religious people could think like this, since we would be able to reject that idea without needing to analyse it at all, without the need to prove it right or wrong, because it doesn't matter at all in reality, and thus we would be able to observe and experiment freely and extensively.

I can't wait until everyone in the world is rational, or until just enough are rational to make a difference.
Topic: How scientifically stupid is the average American?
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 9:07:51 AM
What is an average American?

I can't wait until everyone in the world is rational, or until just enough are rational to make a difference.
Topic: Julio Cortázar (1914)
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:07:05 PM
A friend of mine, of whom I am very fond, used to say that indeed Rayuela was three novels, but none of them were well written.

Topic: Julio Cortázar (1914)
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:29:05 AM
I read Rayuela (Hopscotch), but I did not like it. I have heard many times that you either love or hate it. Seems to be no middle ground. I know several avid readers that tried to 'attack' it several times but could never pass through the first half.

On the other hand the short stories are excelent. The Southern Thruway, House taken over, Letter to a Young Lady in Paris, The Idol of the Cyclades, to name some, are a delight for the mind.

Topic: The Fat Drug
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 8:41:24 AM
Miriam... wrote:
Lately, I have been contemplating buying distilled water to drink. However, I feel troubled, wondering if the distilled water sold in plastic bottles leach chemical/plastic from the bottle. It is so difficult to find distilled water packaged in glass. I wonder if any of the posters here on this thread would know whether it does, and if it is safe?

You should not drink distilled water, humans must drink water with minerals and salts. Distilled water is for engines.

Topic: Giving chocolate
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 7:10:29 AM

Thank you all! Now I get it. What troubled me was the "give up", I took the construction as "give" instead of what it really means. Now, the host is saying about Brazilians that they love to celebrate anything. He says (joking) that they celebrate that "it is about to be lent" by parading in the carnaval. Now, I knew about the fact that during lent you must refrainf from pleasures (in my country is just "eat fish, don't eat meat"), but as I said before, the give up makes sense now. They love to give up chocolate (a pleasure), temporarily (during the 40 days of lent), so they parade about that.

Basically I took give up as give over, like if they went over there giving over chocolate to anybody. Don't ask me how could it happen, it did :)

Topic: Giving chocolate
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:32:36 PM

Hello, I was just watching a video of John Oliver about the World Cup and he said in one moment that Brazilians "loved to give up chocolate temporarily" when it was lent.

I don't understand what this expression means, can somebody tell me? Thanks in advanced.

You can look for the vide with this title: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: FIFA and the World Cup (HBO)

Or here it's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I&list=PLmKbqjSZR8TZa7wyVoVq2XMHxxWREyiFc&index=11

Topic: What does it mean to be a good person?
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:05:26 PM
thar wrote:
Well, according to my college internet filter, the image came from a site that is offensive [or something, some reason for blocking it, I forget what]. So no luck from me!

Thar, check for "what does it mean to be a good person? lil jon" in google and it will retrieve a lot of links to that pic.

On the matter of my question, does anybody have any quote from CS Lewis about the religious matter of that question, or is just a conjecture?

Topic: What does it mean to be a good person?
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:34:23 AM
Hello, I saw this meme several times in the web but I still couldn't figure out what does the CS Lewis quote mean or come from. Can anybody tell me? Thank you.

The meme:

Topic: Is shaving a healthy practice?
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:09:55 AM
"At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it." - Dr. Evil

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.