Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 773
[0.09% of all post / 0.36 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: sea-god timbres in the blue of Noah’s cry
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:21:40 AM
Quote:
Dalton’s lips. They weren’t Eamon’s. Eamon’s mouth was fuller. He had a bottom lip I could’ve chewed on for a week. I could still feel it between my teeth. Eamon was gone forever, but he was everywhere. How did that happen? I even heard his sea-god timbres in the blue of Noah’s cry.

Some context: Eamon is the late husband of the narrator. Noah is their newborn son.

I have no idea what kind of imagery this metaphor is supposed to evoke. This is just a normal romance novel, no fantasy element of any kind. So what kind of timbres is "sea-god" and why would the cry of a baby described as "blue"?
Topic: Messrs. Frobisher & Haslitt
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:31:48 PM
So another interpretation would be some of the clients were well-connected in France?
Topic: by the recommended post
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:30:54 PM
Quote:
"My beloved sister, Jeanne-Marie--" the letter continued.

"Sister-in-law," Mr. Haslitt corrected.

"-- cannot live for long, in spite of all the care and attention I give to her," Boris Waberski went on. "She has left me, as no doubt you know, a large share of her fortune. Already, then, it is mine--yes? One may say so and be favourably understood. We must look at the facts with the eyes. Expedite me, then, by the recommended post a little of what is mine and agree my distinguished salutations."

Some context: a man wrote to a law firm, asking for 500 pounds (part of his soon-to-be inheritance).

I don't get the "by the recommended post" part. Does that mean he wished to have the money sent through a specific posting (nothing of the sort was mention in the preceding paragraphs), or he wished to have the money as stated previously in the letter (which is 500 pounds)?
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:01:02 PM
That make sense. Thank you for your help.
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:40:28 AM
Quote:
MESSRS. FROBISHER & HASLITT, the solicitors on the east side of Russell Square, counted amongst their clients a great many who had undertakings established in France; and the firm was very proud of this branch of its business.

"It gives us a place in history," Mr. Jeremy Haslitt used to say. "For it dates from the year 1806, when Mr. James Frobisher, then our very energetic senior partner, organized the escape of hundreds of British subjects who were detained in France by the edict of the first Napoleon. The firm received the thanks of His Majesty's Government and has been fortunate enough to retain the connection thus made. I look after that side of our affairs myself."

I can't tell if "Messrs. Frobisher & Haslitt" refers to the law firm itself, or the author is talking specifically about the 2 owners, a Mr. Frobisher and a Mr. Haslitt. Which would be the case here?

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the word "undertakings." I read that as, "This law firm had lots of clients with businesses in France." But then the paragraph below made it looks like it should be read as, "This law firm had lots of clients with distinguished achievements/reputation in France." Once again, which one would be correct?
Topic: disclaiming
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 11:05:14 PM
AndEng wrote:
I agree with you vkhu
Both apologetic and "were nor disclaiming enough" seem to not fit with what one would expect, that is more similar to what Jyrkkä Jätkä says.

More context would help maybe....

What I may imagine the author would like to express is that the two men's posture showed neither sympathy nor any sorrow or regret for their lack of sympathy.

There isn't much context other than that. Those 2 were detectives. They didn't come to console the aggrieved. They're there to do their job. Hence their attitude. I'd say Jätkä's and your interpretations make sense. They didn't look sad (apologetic), and they didn't care about them not looking sad (disclaiming).
Topic: disclaiming
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 5:01:44 AM
Quote:
They were sitting in there, both facing it Two men. The very way they held their heads—they were not apologetic, they were not disclaiming enough, for such a time and such a place and such a visit.

Context: 2 men visited a family who had just had a funeral. Neither one looked like they were there to offer condolences.

What is "disclaiming" in this context? All the definitions I can find are related to refuting a fact or something like that. I don't see how that would fit here.
Topic: The platinum set number
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:36:16 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
There may be more clues in the context of the story, such as what tyoe of establishment Brown Thomas is.

Unfortunately, this is all there is to it. This is the end of the story, and the author seems to be throwing out random rich-people-stuff to show how rich this family is.

And it does seem there's a department store called Brown Thomas. So I guess she did want to reopen a customer account there and have the house completely redecorated.

Still, I don't quite get the platinum set number thing. What does that have to do with a buyer account at a department store?
Topic: The platinum set number
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:09:33 AM
Quote:
'Get on the phone to Brown Thomas. The platinum set number. Reopen my account. Tell Helene I want a Yuletide makeover. The works.'

'Yes, ma'am. The works.'

Context: basically, a rich lady just woke up from a coma. It was Christmas. She saw the house being in a bit of a shamble, and wanted to do some redecoration. She ordered her manservant to do those things.

I think platinum set number have something to do with banking, but not sure exactly what. Could someone elaborate on it please?

Also, there's this "The works" thing. Yuletide is just an archaic term for Xmas, but the phrase right after it make it sound like this is the name of an artist or something. But I can't find any reference on an artist called Yuletide. So what does "the works" refer to?
Topic: spadewise
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 10:10:03 AM
Quote:
She wondered if it would fit into her handbag. She tried it spadewise, the flat side up, and it went in.

I can't imagine how she put the gun in her handbag. Did she flip the gun on its side and put it in?

Also, from her description of the gun (have a "fluted bulge in the middle," six "round black chambers") and the time period (1940s), I guess this is a Colt. And from the pictures on Google, I don't see the Colt having any flat part. So what side of it was up?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.