Profile: markm
About
User Name: markm
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Capitalist production, therefore, develops technology, and the combining together of various processes into a social whole,...
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:28:42 PM
This idea has been shown by modern economic theory to be incomplete at best. There is no true "original" source of wealth. Both the "soil" (resources) and labor are necessary but not sufficient. Innovation has been shown to make up for the lack of both. The total "wealth" of the world continues to increase, even though resources are utilized (even wasted) at their approximate theoretical physical limits, as theorized by Malthus. The U.S. is a wealthy nation not because of, or just because of, resources and physical labor as Marx and Engels thought, but how both are utilized, which required changing from an industrial to a service economy. This required thought, innovation, and invention. There is now more "wealth" in the world than would be available from resources and labor alone. It is not necessarily the fault of any economy itself that leads to bad results, but how it is controlled and who controls it, how benefits are distributed, and who reaps the rewards of any surplus. Communist regimes show the dangers of labor being in control. Modern capitalist regimes with their wide differences between the "classes" demonstrates how oligarchies can control a capitalist economy. As MechPebbles alludes to, perhaps a blend using the best points of both might be best.
Topic: ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:49:30 PM
In terms of logic and language, he is not correct. When you have eliminated the impossible, what you are left with is the possible. There could be many "possibles", not all of which are "the truth". All you can say that what is left is possible, you cannot claim truth (without further evidence anyway). Icbarros has already stated this, using other words.
Topic: No man should marry until he has studied anatomy and dissected at least one woman.
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:29:28 PM
Speaking as a married man who has studied anatomy and dissected at least one woman, I can confidently say it doesn't help. I'm still lost.
Topic: Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:55:34 PM
Sun Tzu's advice seems to work both in War and in Life. I wonder if that means life is really a war. Perhaps only a struggle to survive rather than a war.
Like most of Daemon's quotes, this one's discussion reveals much about the readers (at least the ones who respond). Always interesting. Thanks Daemon
Topic: And of all plagues with which mankind are curst, Ecclesiastic tyranny's the worst.
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:55:55 PM
Amen!
Topic: The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation.
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:41:28 AM
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.”

This is often quoted. It always seemed like a rather passive, bleak outlook on life to me, but there is a great deal of truth in it. Life can indeed be "desperate", if you allow it to be such. Part of the answer is to change your outlook, that's when you need "the patience to accept the things I cannot change". But part of the answer is to change what you can, when you can.
Topic: It is of great importance in a republic not only to guard the society against the oppression of its rulers, but to guard one...
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 1:23:05 PM
Excellent sentiment, not completely enforced or even accepted in the U.S. (e.g., GLBT), but at least the idea has been expressed
Topic: Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf...

Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:53:56 PM
Very late 19th Century British, and (therefore) very late 19th Century Christian. Follow the unwritten (and even unspoken) rules, and you will prosper. One can argue, of course, that this is only true in some circumstances, and with certain "rules", and depends on definitions of "prosper", and "keep" and "break", and is very subject to interpretation. Kipling was probably implying, maybe without realizing it, that one must follow the "rules" of upper crust, white, Christian, British society. Or maybe I just like to read more into what was said, and why this quote was chosen.
Topic: It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble ......
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 12:41:31 PM
I wonder if he is talking about nature in general or just human nature. I suppose it could be true for both. Intelligence develops, is useful, only in response to necessity and danger. Humans only resort to intelligence when all other modes of action have proven useless. With nature it is a rather Darwinist idea. with humans he seems a little cynical.
Topic: There is one kind of prison where the man is behind bars, and everything that he desires is outside; and there is another...
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:36:07 AM
It is interesting to contrast this view of capitalism, as explained by MTC, to the Ayn Rand view which seems so popular now, at least among certain groups.