Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 267
[0.03% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Medusa
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 5:09:23 PM
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
By the way, Perseus was the son of Zeus and a mortal woman, called Danae, he was, a sort of son of god. Strange to realize that Christians actually plagiarized such ancient pagan myths, based on sensual fantasies.

it is not strange at all, religions are evolving - they are borrowing stuff from other religions
Topic: as way/a way to turn any noun into a modifier
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 4:51:18 PM
I'd write: "it is used to turn any noun into a modifier"
Topic: please check if this is correct or not
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2015 4:50:10 PM
my apology
I no longer am
result in a greater outcome
Topic: Marxism
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:13:13 PM
@Ni un voto al PRIAN PVEM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre
Oh yes, but I forgot, it's all capitalist lies, and my uncle who was murdered in Katyń is also a "fake".
If you are speaking in favour of communism, trying to whiten Mao and Stalin, you're really sick or blind or brainwashed. Read some books, son
Topic: European Smorgasbord
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:04:38 PM
Yeah but when guys like Kevin Kurányi score for Germany, it's just fine
Topic: The world today and... virginity
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 5:30:10 AM
Maryam Dad wrote:
Thanks Exy, the heartless animals should get heavy punishments.

who are heartless animals?
Topic: The world today and... virginity
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:16:11 PM
Everyone does what they feel but of course certain attitudes are, to my mind, worth praising as TheParser wisely said. Maybe he concentrated too much on women's attitudes which comes from the culture but he didn't offend anyone. I can imagine that some people praise those who aren't promiscuous and who have some, what we say, virtues and it's fine. I am also fine with those promiscuous ones as long as they don't hurt anyone.
Topic: Please check the questions
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:25:02 AM
First of all, the analogy with the wrong form "I was at" is completely off the mark. We are discussing a normally formed word that has been in use for a long time, check some corpora.

I myself am aware of all that and I use the word 'police officer' BUT the word "policeman" is absolutely correct. It can be found in dictionaries, and what's more important, many people still use it.
In Academic papers it's also the style that is important and thus the word may not fit in. It's better to educate than to forbid, neither you nor I have the power to deem the word incorrect just because it's "not gender-neutral" and this is what every linguist will tell you. You want to take it out from dictionaries? what will be next? vulgarisms? You can't do that.
The jury is still out, it's way too early, and it takes time for people to realise what linguistic world view it brings and that this view deviates from ours that we have in contemporary reality. We, academics, are responsible for educating not imposing something on. So once again, let the users decide.
Topic: Please check the questions
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 7:30:20 AM
@Romany

With all due respect to your magnificent knowledge, the word "policeman" is still used in English. I agree that this term may be found sexist but we cannot disregard the culture of language. Let the users decide themselves if they want to have this meaning or make it fall into oblivion. One person cannot say if a word is to be used or not.
Topic: Overusing Past Perfect
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:35:46 AM
in 1, 2, 3 I would use the past perfect tense.
but let's see what others have to say

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.