Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 711
[0.08% of all post / 0.33 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: He reads book or He reads a book
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:27:50 PM
Ah, but I can think of at least one instance when you could use "he reads a book" as a complete sentence.
For instance: "He tries to kill time. He takes long walks. He practices playing guitar. He reads a book." In a work of fiction, it's a perfectly good sentence. I'll admit that it isn't a construction that would come up often in most narration, though.
Topic: Punctuation
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:18:11 PM
I'm not sure if the rewording of the sentence containing "his deceased daughter's hair from a locket" needs correction. I'd say it has more to do with context, and whether the daughter, or her hair, had been mentioned previous to this, although it was clear to me even without knowing the greater context. Your version, though, Foundit, certainly makes all clear. I might have left out the comma after "daughter" and made it "from his deceased daughter, and strand by strand," ... if you see what I mean. I still strive to learn some of these nuances, so I could be wrong. My use of the three periods as they were written just now are probably wrong, for instance! :)
Topic: Is it wrong to repeat these words?
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 6:57:11 PM
It is generally better not to repeat the same word. It is mostly a matter of style, though, and "wrong" or "right" isn't always the case. If you're writing fiction, or an academic paper, for instance, you would avoid duplicating a word. !a doesn't bother me much at all, yet 2a sounds awkward.
I agree with MelissaMe, I would add another comma.
Topic: lock/lock up
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:51:41 PM
tootsie...of course! I had overlooked that use. Thar...that poem has always disturbed me! Is it suggestive of actual rape? It is certainly a physical violation! I do think it was written with humor in mind, though. Still a bit creepy, though! And as you said, this poem ALWAYS comes to my mind when I think of a lock of hair...it leaves an impression! From what I recall of Pope, though, it is a playful take of schoolboy antics, and not misogyny at all.
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:40:56 PM
almostfreebird wrote:
Punk dreadlocks and key ring

HAhaha, probably would have been one of my buddies if I were 20 years younger.
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:42:12 AM
I wonder...English is so full of similies, redundancies, and so on...but how is it that we refer to a "lock" of hair? (I suppose because it is often saved, as if under lock and key?) And how many other uses of the word, having nothing to do with the concept of a lock and key, can any of you think of?
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:25:15 AM
Ray41 wrote:
Romany wrote:
I wonder if we use the word 'lock' when we are referring to the actual action of turning a key and 'lock up' as a more metaphorical way of saying 'keep safe'? (After all, when one locks up one's daughters one doesn't actually lock them into a chastity belt.)

Applause Applause Gee Romany, if only we could.Pray
We have a 15 year old (in our care since a baby) and with what they get up to these days I reckon a a chastity belt should be fitted at 13years old, complete with a time lock, 'not to be opened until wearer is 18 years old'[at least]Think

Damn right! Hahaha! I'm sometimes so glad I don't have children, but for all the truly criminal things boys can get up to, I would never have a day of peace if I had a teenage daughter...I fear I would either have to put her in "lock up," or "lock" her into a chastity belt...like I say, I'm just glad I don't have to think about it, even though I do sometimes regret having no children. Nieces and nephews are great, much more like little brothers and sisters than offspring, and the level of worry is far less, haha.
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:07:08 AM
BTW, Khalid, I have seen a number of your posts, and you have an excellent command of English. So much so that you write and understand it better than many, if not most, native speakers. You have acheived a great deal: congratulations!
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:03:27 AM
There is some difference but not much. You can lock your shop, but it is somewhat more common to "lock up" your shop. You would never "lock up" a lock. Generally, you "lock up" a property, but you don't usually say, "I locked up the car." It is not incorrect, it is only a matter of usage, and I can't think that there is a specific rule. "Lock up" is very, very common when referring to closing a place of business at the end of the day, for example. There is one other confusing use of "lock up" which you will encounter: sometimes when one is put in jail, they are said to be put (or placed) in "lock up." This usage is a noun, and very specific, but don't worry much about this...as I say, it is very specific, although not rare. Otherwise, you will get a sense of the uses of "lock" and "lock up" as you read or hear English. You can "lock" a box, but it's okay to "lock up" a box. You can "lock" a business, but it's much better to "lock up" a business. You can "lock" a car or "lock" the house, but normally you don't "lock up" a car or house...these are subtle uses and it isn't "wrong" to use either...when you are in doubt, just say "lock" and you will rarely be incorrect.
Topic: The word Chippendale's.
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:41:51 AM
Hahahaha! I never imagined this question "arising," lol. Sorry, this begs a double entendre. I never actually thought about it, but as it is causing you some distress, I'll offer an opinion. I would say that "Chippendale" is the surname of the founder of the business. It can be pluralized, i.e., Chippendales men, calendars, etc, or it can take the posessive form, "Chippendale's men." Geez, I hope this helps, and I hope I can get the image of buff, sweaty men out of my head, LOL!!! :(

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.