Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Home Page
Number of Posts: 1,081
[0.12% of all post / 0.50 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is the comma optional?
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 3:30:00 PM
Yes, I think it's optional.
If the comma is used, it's assumed that only one Head Temple exists and "located at the foot of Mt.Fuji" is only additional information that could be left out.
If the comma is left out, there are probably more than one Head Temples and "located at the foot of Mt.Fuji" identifies the one the speaker has in mind.

Topic: listening comprehension
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 4:28:11 AM
Isn't it "This video's crossing the line" ? Not sure, of course.
Topic: Should there be another bracket before "dealing"?
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:30:52 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Pronunciation: [mæθs]
Syllables: maths
☞ mathematics, math (a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement)

Should there be another bracket before "dealing"?

With respect to the use of brackets, it's OK, there are two opening and two closing brackets (note the closing bracket at the end).
But it's a bit cumbersome, maybe using a hyphen instead of one pair of brackets would be better:

☞ mathematics, math - a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement

Is it a definition taken from some dictionary? Are mathematics and math to be understood as alternative words for maths?
Topic: scramble
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:49:04 PM
The best I could make was two words:

loath hit

Perhaps in some context they could make some sense together, but I don't think it's the correct solution.
Topic: Upon registration
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:18:31 PM
I think it's correct, "upon" here means "immediately after".

But let native speakers say if it's natural in this context.

Topic: linen or flax
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 9:29:10 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
In German, the plant can be called either Flachs or Lein - and in most languages east of Germany (Swedish, Polish, Russian, Norwegian), the name of the plant is a variant of Linum.

Perhaps the author is from Northern or Eastern Europe.

I can confirm that, in Czech it's len.

Topic: What is the clause "Having also studied accounting" equal to? Thank you.
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 9:26:06 AM
Because (or since) she also had studied accounting, she no doubt saw a good business opportunity as well.

Grammatically, it's a participle clause.

Topic: Is 'request for' correct?
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 2:39:32 PM
No, I don't think so.
"Request for" is possible when request is used as a noun, but not as a verb.
It should be here without preposition: ... in Malaysia to request facts of the case.

See e.g. here

Topic: A friend of her husband's
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 2:46:52 PM
A book on English grammar that was published here in 1975 (and a good one, in my opinion) says the following about using the double genitive:

It should be used if the noun (the entity which is possessed) is qualified by an article, a numeral or demonstrative pronoun. The examples include a precious violin of my brother's (precious violin is qualified by "a", i.e. my brother has other precious violins as well), two sons of my uncle's and that nose of John's.

There are also cases when both forms can be used, but would have different meanings:

This is the picture of my father.----- The father is depicted in the picture. Nothing about who owns the picture.
This is the picture of my father's. ------My father is the owner of the picture. Nothing about what is in the picture.

Your example - I'm a friend of her husband's - would then stress that you are one of her husband's friends, but she has more friends.

But I'm not a native speaker and only cite what I learned from that book and consider it quite logical.
Because the book is over forty years old, it's possible that such rules are not applied any more.
Topic: Gump and Woggle-bug
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2018 3:16:57 PM
Thank you Drago, for your opinion. The only meaning of woggle I'been able to find (in is "the ring of leather through which a Scout neckerchief is threaded", so I thought it might perhaps suggest that the bug has a very slim waist, but in the numerous illustrations to the book, which can be found on the Internet, it is pictured like a normal bug.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.