Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,126
[0.12% of all post / 0.40 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ..use a grainy photograph of money at play
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 2:32:41 PM
Many thanks to FounDit, Sarriesfan and especially to Romany for the fitting explanation.

IMHO, ads could also use grain in the photographs on purpose, to create whatever effect the authors think it should create.
Topic: ..use a grainy photograph of money at play
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 3:23:04 PM
Hi all,
after some time, I'm back here with a question:

Here's an excerpt from Lee Child's Killing Floor:

He was a tall white man. He looked like a page from a magazine. An advertisement. The sort that uses a grainy photograph of money at play. He was in his early thirties.....

Can you please tell me what the phrase in bold really means?

I found the question some time ago somewhere, but it wasn't answered satisfactorily.

Thank you.

Topic: Comma after "home"?
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 8:39:41 AM
I'd put a comma after "married". Without a comma it looks (to me) as if she were married with her children.
Topic: moving the mail
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 3:52:45 PM
Hi,
can you help me with understanding the following paragraph?
It's again from It by Stephen King.
The author describes here (and in the preceding two or three paragraphs) the dozens of different medicines that can be found in Eddie's medicine cabinet.

Moving right along to Eddie’s third shelf, we find the utility infielders of the
patent-medicine world. Ex-Lax. Carter’s Little Pills. Those two keep Eddie
Kaspbrak moving the mail. Here, nearby, is Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol, and
Preparation H in case the mail moves too fast or too painfully. Also some Tucks
in a screw-top jar just to keep everything tidy after the mail has gone through, be
it just an advertising circular or two addressed to OCCUPANT or a big old specialdelivery
package.

What I'm not sure about is the mail part. Am I right in assuming that he actually speaks of Eddie's digestive tract, the advertising circular and big old specialdelivery package being just euphemisms for..., well, if my conjecture is right, you know whatWhistle
Topic: in six months of graduation
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2018 4:07:33 AM
I think it means that they find jobs not later than six months after graduation.

Topic: pretty 'faced
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 5:45:12 AM
Thank you all, that makes sense.
Topic: pretty 'faced
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2018 4:00:25 PM
Hi,
could you please tell me your opinion on the meaning of 'faced in the following:

So then the fair’s closin and we’re walkin out and Steve’s still on Webby
about not bein able to win that queer’s hat, you know, and Webby ain’t sayin
much, and I know that’s a bad sign but I was pretty ’faced, you know? So I knew
I ought to like change the subject only I couldn’t think of no subject, you know?

I assume it's a contraction, but contraction of what?

It's part of a teenager's report to the police of what he and his friends were doing before a gay [Adrian Mellon] was killed.
[Stehphen King: It]
Topic: to fall out on high
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 2:39:35 PM
And another, scary, meaning of radioactive ashes or dust falling out of the sinister mushroom cloud - used rather as a noun - radioactive fallout.

I hope I'm not wrong.
Topic: smudgepot
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:08:17 AM
Thank you, Thar, NKM and Palapaguy for your remarks. So it really seems to be a variant of what is used in vineyards.In the article provided by Palapaguy, I found this (as NKM said):

Prior to the development of battery-powered safety blinkers on saw-horses, many highway departments used small oil-burning safety pot markers to denote work zones, and many railroad systems still rely on oil-fired switch heaters, long tubs of fuel with a wick, that fits between the ties and keeps snow and ice from fouling the points of a switch.

It's a bit unusual for me to imagine such a thing on a road. I know that fires are used also in vineyards here on clear cold nights, but as far as I can judge from some pictures on TV, they're just open fires. I must ask about it when I see some colleagues from our office in South Moravia.

Topic: smudgepot
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2018 3:57:32 PM
Hi,
could you please tell me what "smudgepot" means in the following sentence?

....Witcham Street was blocked to motor traffic by smudgepots and four orange sawhorses.

I've found a definition of "smudge pot" in TFD as

"A receptacle in which oil or another smoky fuel is burned to repel insects or to protect an orchard from frost."

but it doesn't make much sense here.
I'd rather say they're some heavy blocks that can't be removed easily.

[Stephen King: It]

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.