Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 378
[0.04% of all post / 0.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What does "white smoke" mean?
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 11:47:02 AM
About the added chemicals to produce white and black smoke.. A translation (by me - sorry for any mistakes)

Vatican reveals the smoke's ingredients

March 13th 2013

The black smoke that rose from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel consists of potassium perchlorate, anthracene (a component of coal tar), and sulfur, which are burnt together with the voting ballots. If a new pope has been chosen, this is revealed by white smoke, which is formed by the adding of potassium chlorate, lactose and synthetic resin on the basis of chloroform.

On Wednesday, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi revealed on popular demand how the black and white smoke is produced. The smoke that rose on Tuesday was remarkably darker than the smoke in the previous election of a new pontiff.

In the past, it wasn't always easy to determine the colour of the smoke. Therefore it was this time decided to use a new composition of the fuel.

Quote:
Vaticaan onthult ingrediënten van de rook

(Novum/AP) - De zwarte rook die dinsdag en woensdag opsteeg uit de schoorsteen op de Sixtijnse Kapel bestaat uit patronen gevuld met kaliumperchloraat, antraceen (een bestanddeel van koolteer) en zwavel die samen met de stembiljetten worden verbrand. Als er een nieuwe paus is gekozen wordt dat bekendgemaakt met witte rook, die mede ontstaat door toevoeging van kaliumchloraat, lactose en kunsthars op basis van chloroform.

Woordvoerder van het Vaticaan Federico Lombardi deed woensdag op veler verzoek uit de doeken hoe de zwarte en witte rook worden vervaardigd. De rook die dinsdag opsteeg was opmerkelijk donkerder dan bij de vorige uitverkiezing van een nieuwe kerkvorst.

In het verleden was niet altijd duidelijk vast te stellen of de kleur van de rook wit of zwart was. Daarom werd deze keer besloten tot een nieuwe samenstelling van de brandstof.

Uitgegeven op Woensdag 13 maart 2013

Topic: Useless machine
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 11:00:21 AM
I thought this was so funny!

The Most Useless Machine
Topic: Earworms
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:17:37 PM
This reminded me of (the impressing documentary) Touching the Void. Watch the bit I mean here

Must be the most horrible earworm ever!! Boney M... :-/

I personally suffer from (UB40's version of) "Red red wine", literally for YEARS now. Not constantly though - thankfully! (Oh here we go again.. Red red wiiiiiine .... goes to my head ...."
Brick wall
Topic: Spammers again
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 12:19:28 PM
Wow, GoldmanM (or someone else?), you must have set a record! Applause Applause Applause
Thanks for your great work.

edit, ahh, nnorlen Applause
Topic: Spammers again
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 12:08:12 PM
abhio is spamming the grammar section. I'll PM GoldmanM

edit: also the Business and Finance section
Topic: Pictures Of Old
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 11:16:28 AM

This 1000-year-old Chinese bowl from the Song dynasty was sold at a car boot sale in 2007 for 3 US dollars.

Last week it was auctioned in New York and sold for 2.225 million US dollars.
Topic: word association(Psychoanalysis)
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:38:03 AM
Hanseatic League
Topic: Pictures Of Old
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:33:31 AM

Grote Markt, Groningen, Netherlands, before the Second World War

Grote Markt, Groningen, after the bombing in 1945

Topic: Association Game: Proper Nouns
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:08:36 AM
Coffee and Cigarettes
Topic: word association(Psychoanalysis)
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:06:23 AM
Heathrow Airport

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.