User Name: *Me*
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is posting creative works online safe?
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:06:23 AM

I have studied copyright a little as being a musician, legal studies student and writer it is very much in my interests to know what rights you have to intellectual property. For a start as you are American, (I checked it changes from country to country), your copyright is instantaneous, from the minute you create something that is considered "intellectual property" it is protected by the the United States copyright laws. No application needed, because of that anything you post online is yours and cannot be published, copied or used without your express permission and if you wished to you could charge them for that use. If someone does copy your work that constitutes a crime and you can sue, regardless of what country they live in. I can almost guarantee that you will never come into contact with a person who wants to use your works in a country where your copyright isn't applicable. I can't even name one.

If you wanted to prove work is yours - presuming it's online - then all you would need is the date you posted it online. If they copied your work then they pretended it was theirs after that date. If there is something you really want to be sure of then there are registers and such for that sort of thing but I'm Australian and any register I would use wouldn't be something available to you.

Hope that helps and sets your mind at ease somewhat although if a student tries to use your work a legal battle might be a little extreme.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.