User Name: gittav
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests: English
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I need Defination of Woman Empowerment in Dutch..!!
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:36:13 AM
Hi Jsamantha, I'm afraid there is no translation for "empowerment" (even Wikipedia uses the English word for it).

The closest translations I could come up with are:
- "Vrouwen zelfredzaamheid": meaning "The action or faculty of providing for oneself without assistance from others."
- "Vrouwen zelfverwezelijking": meaning "The process of gaining access and developing one's capacities with a view to participating actively in shaping one's own life and that of one's community in economic, social and political terms."

Hope this helps.
Topic: Hoe vertaal je "maak kans op" naar het (US) Engels?
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:27:36 AM
uuaschbaer wrote:
Leave us your business card and enter for your/a chance to win a box of Belgian chocolates.
Something like that.

I think that one is the best, especially "...for a chance..."
Topic: "Darling" - Dutch term of endearment
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:18:45 AM
I think we can conclude from the above, that it is all very subjective.

In my family we tend not to use "schatje", because it would rather sound you're addressing a lover or it would be a way for teenagers to address close friends.

My dad often refers to me as "meisje" or "lieverd" and I would not say the first shows any emotional distance. It is of course all about how someone says it.
I would go for "meisje" (which is the official Dutch word for (little) girl (literally, little maid). "Meiske" is common in southern dialects and Flemish. Or "lieverd" (which means lovely-one, dear-one, so similar to sweetie and darling).

I've heard "wijffie" being used outside of Utrecht as well (still in that province though). But it implies an intimate relation e.g. father-daughter, or two close friends (often teenagers).

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.