Home Page www.polygloto.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 26
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Homonimy
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 2:35:22 AM
excaelis, now I got it:)
The thing is that in Polish the word sounds a bit different than in English.

OK, guys.
I created this thread to make people revise Polish vocabulary, especially words that look the same but have two or even more meanings.
Anyone?
Topic: Polish literature/Literatura polska
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 2:22:22 AM
Witold Gombrowicz
Trans-Atlantyk
Possessed ("Opętani")

and other works of this author. His books have been translated into many languages including French, German, Italian, Spanish and Japanese.

I must admit I hated reading them in my secondary school but during the studies just fell in love with them.Whistle
Topic: Learning Polish
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:20:14 PM
GabhSigenod, nie ma za co.

By the way, be careful with a google translator. "Grzywna" means the same as "a fine" - a sum of money you have to pay when, for instance, you break the speed limit. The word you were probably looking for is "prawidziwy" (real, fine - an adjective).

"Jesteś prawdziwym dżentelmenem".

Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:14:36 PM
Thanks, almostfreebird. "Jądro ciemności" by Joseph Conrad is one of my favourite books. By the way, it is on an obligatory reading list at secondary school.

RubyMoon, I haven't read Tokarski's novel yet. I hope I will.
Topic: Homonimy
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:26:00 PM
RubyMoon, could you explain that more clearly then? :)
Topic: What is a "sandy" board?
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:03:05 AM
I suppose the author meant "a sandwich board".
Like the one here:
http://www.cacolorgraphics.com/a-frame/

You can put it in front of the students and write down the results.

So, it probably wasn't a bad, literal translation but rather a vocabulary mistake.
There isn't any equivalent of "sandy board" (piaszczysta tablica) in Polish, even in idiomatic language.
Topic: Pictures of green
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:44:29 AM

The picture was taken during a canoe trip in Biebrzański Park Narodowy (Biebrza National Park) in Poland. I recommend the place for bird lovers. You can enjoy the view of reed and various species of birds for the whole day, which is like a journey to a different reality.
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:53:18 AM
Pytanie zarówno do Polaków, jak i do osób uczących się języka polskiego.

Jakich polskich autorów polecacie?

And a question for those of you who do not understand Polish (yet?): are there any books of Polish authors that you would like to recommend? Of course, I assume that you've read the translation:)

Let me start...

S. Lem, "Solaris"
Topic: How to learn?
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:23:30 AM
That's true, you cannot convey the knowledge in an interesting way if you are not enthusiastic about it!

When it comes to children, I'm really fond of a TPR method. It's a pity that while it's pretty popular in kindergarten, it is often neglected by teachers in primary schools.
Topic: Learning Polish
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:09:24 AM
GabhSigenod, you can check how good your Polish is reading Polish websites (for instance articles on www.wp.pl) or even watching some cartoons for Polish children (which you can do here: http://www.bajkidladzieci.org). There are also many useful online courses. For example here http://www.polish.polygloto.com/free-trials you will find a few free lessons both for beginners and pre-intermediate students.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.