Statistics
Number of Posts: 133
[0.02% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Etc?
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:05:31 PM

...thinking about the use of 'etc'....sounds correct to me. Dancing

What's your opinion dear friends?[/quote]

ETC - Think perhaps this contraction of et cetera ought to be seen as an invitation : exit to cogitate. A thoughtful reader might well use 'etc' as an excuse to take a minute or two to consider the writer's intent.

In some cases the use of etc (et cetera = and the other things) is merely a space saving device used by a writer who assumes (consciously or not) that his readers will envision approximately the same list of 'other things.'

In other cases a writer who uses etc may be intentionally prescribing a list of other things, a list of values or viewpoints which the writer is endeavoring to imply must be shared by readers who are appropriately educated and properly socialized. In such a case, readers who are unaware of the implied proper list of other things might vaguely sense that they are somehow excluded from some select group. Readers who knowingly don't subscribe to the attitudes upon which that approved list of other things is based, will be acutely aware that they are intentionally ostracized by that company of right-thinking people.
Topic: ...placing the clothes/clothing on your body.
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 2:56:48 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Putting on refers to the act of placing the clothing on your body.

Is 'clothing' correct or should it be 'clothes'?

Thank

Though both 'clothing' and 'clothes' are used, personal experience would lead me to believe that 'clothes' is rather more frequently used in normal speech.
Topic: sermon vs lecture
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:34:01 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The Buddhist priest delivered a sermon/lecture.

Is 'sermon' reserved only for a lecture given by a Pastor or Father?

Thanks.

Just to add a specific citation to DragOnspeaker's answer. I have heard Thai Buddhist monks use the English word sermon as a translation for the Thai word เทศน์ (thet - sounding very like the English name Tate, with the vowel somewhat elongated)
Topic: ...thank you in advance...
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:10:49 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
I often see I thank you in advance for your assistance.

According to one of my grammar books, the sentence is not appropriate. The reason stated was that 'I thank you in advance'means that you are demanding help when the recipient has the right not to help.

I wonder whether native speakers agree with this grammarian?

Thanks.

Short answer: No. This 'grammarian' has taken pedantic prescription beyond the realm of grammar.

Though it is possible that the phrase 'I thank you in advance' might be wielded in an effort to psychologically compel a certain response, most uses of that phrase would stem from a desire to be polite or to show gratitude for useful aid.
Topic: he is the one
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:53:31 PM
prince wrote:
"I think in this reality show he is the one that will draw the most viewers as crazy one"

does it mean he will makes the viewers crazy in the above sentence?

(C)razy one here refers back to the not further identified he. The prediction is that most viewers will tune in to see the antics of the crazy one.
Topic: What does " Before " mean here?
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:42:54 PM
[quote=Romany]
O.B. - sorry, don't mean to to sound as though I'm putting your system down.
-
So I guess bargaining - Eurasian-style - is out of the question?
quote]

Romany, don't worry. It's not really my system, just one of the systems that I've lived with.

I spent some of my youth and a substantial part of my middle years working in Sunny Southeast Asia, so I have done enough of the one-on-one market sort of bargaining to be reasonably good at it.

A certain wonderful Thai woman (my dear wife of 26 years) tends to disagree with my assessment of my own bargaining skills - when we are at markets in Thailand she will often tell me to stand still and keep my pink face out of sight while she goes after some particular market stall with real intent.

Back in the USA (to coin a phrase). Hard bargaining (Eurasian-style) is generally expected here when purchasing cars or real estate. Office supplies chain stores, electronic goods chain stores and chain hardware stores/garden centers will often have coupons available or will give other sorts of discounts on request - I suppose that this could be seen as an attenuated form of bargaining.
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:18:53 AM
Sumptuary taxes by another name?Think
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:05:17 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
This is one convention which really irritated me in the USA.

Here (in Britain) if you go into a shop and something has a price-tag of £3.50, then you pay £3.50 - so as I'm are going round (in a self-service supermarket), I can count up how much I'm spending and have the money ready when I get to the cash-desk.

In the USA, if a price-tag says $3.50, then what you need to pay is $4.20 or maybe $3.85 or possibly $3.92 - though it's possible you need to pay $3.50 . . . Brick wall d'oh! d'oh!

DragonSpeaker, to quote a recent U.S. President: 'I feel your pain.' The rates of sales tax mark-ups that you cite are truly extortionate, though I am familiar with one or two particular municipalities which do shamelessly take ten percent (the lowest rate among your examples). This practice does have the praiseworthy effect of demonstrating the level of taxation rather than the usual disguising of taxes. Some folks suggest that important purchases ought not be made when one is not sufficiently competent and that such competence would be evidenced by the ability to compute a six, eight or ten percent surcharge. On the other hand, as a male of a certain age, I will admit to a personal low tolerance level for exposure to retail establishments - after twenty minutes I would pay almost any price to escapeAnxious

Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
Talking about the price of a car when it is said that:
Pricing starts at $30,680 USD before applicable federal and state tax credits/rebates
Does " before " here means in advance or without taking tax into consideration?
Does it mean that the real price (including taxes) will be higher?

In this particular instance the reference is to applicable federal and state tax credits/rebates. Though not usually available, tax credits/rebates would be expected to lower the price of the car. This is not a common occurrence, but such tax credits or rebates are occasionally available. Dealer and/or manufacturer rebates are a rather more common way to lower the actual price without lowering the Manufacturers Recommended Price (MRP aka sticker price).

Sales tax, at the rate of six percent, is levied on the sale of new and used cars in the state where I currently reside.
Topic: (Vocab) What generation do YOU belong to?
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:51:48 AM
taurine wrote:
I did not know about 'Silent Generation' at all. I instead know a little about 'Grey Generation' covering the same period of time, and taken from different book.

As to the claim that the generation in question was anti-social, what about II WW?

The specific descriptions of generations are fluid and somewhat arbitrary, varying from author to author or from one study to another. The appellation Silent Generation is usually applied to those who were born in 1928-29, the 1930s or the early 1940s - people regarded (in most normal circumstances) as too young to have served in the military during World War Two (WW II).

Tom Brokaw's 'Greatest Generation' has become a popular, widely used name for the cohort (roughly those born during the period from 1905 to 1927) which provided most of the soldiers, sailors and airmen during WW II.
Topic: Charting
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 1:23:27 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
I read the following in the Metro Uk.
We have begun our journey charting a future outside the European Union and we are going to take control of the things that matter to us, while taking this moment to build a stronger, fairer and better Britain.
Does "charting" the present participle or non finite verb refers to "journey"( acting adjectivially) or functioning adverbially ( giving reason)?
How to interpret its role here in terms of parts of speech?
Thanks

'Charting a future" in this instance could be said to be functioning adverbially, describing (modifying) the basic sentence: 'We have begun our journey.'

Viewed in another light, the entire assertion could be broken into three simpler sentences stating what has been done, what is being done, and what will be done. This simplification would result in a sentence with charting as the verb.

'We have begun our journey.'

[We are] charting a future outside the European Union.

We are going to take control of the things that matter to us while taking this moment to build a stronger, fairer and better Britain.

"Charting a future" metaphorically compares the UK's political and economic planning for the future with the planning of a journey using charts (specific to journeying by sea or by air) or maps as the basic planning tool. One cannot help but to reflect on the metaphor, noting that the charting of a political/economic future is much less certain than the charting of a journey - there are vanishingly few charts which can provide sure data on the currents, the winds and the location of shoals which might affect a journey into the future.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.