Interests: Reading, Photography, Shooting
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 137
[0.02% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Dismount
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 1:37:23 PM
In military usage 'Dismount!" is (or was) used in the imperative, as a specific order to cavalrymen, dragoons, or any other of the myriad sorts of mounted soldiers.

Dismount can also be a transitive verb in military or naval uses. One might, by kinetic means, dismount a mounted opponent or dismount weapons (artillery, gun turrets, rocket launchers or droppable ordnance) that are fixed to dedicated carriage or to a vehicle.
Topic: Drawal
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:47:17 PM
Think Speakers and writers using English have a strong historical tendency to modify and extend borrowed names and portmanteau neologisms (some created from classical languages) in strange and wonderful ways.

Take for instance the recent set of curious new formations which build on misapprehensions regarding the derivation of the word helicopter (a combination of helico = spiraling or rotary and pter = wing or feather)

Helipad - is this a prepared landing site as seen by an inebriated helicopter pilot?Anxious

Quadcopter - possibly a winged device produced by a firm known as Quadco

Hexacopter - this would seem to be an even newer winged device made by Quadco's corporate competitor Hexaco.

There is also the lowly Hamburger, a sandwich made using chopped or ground beef - that is beef which is prepared in a manner ascribed to the inhabitants (burghers) of Hamburg (a port city on the North Sea). Mischievous extensions of the name of this sandwich have produced a myriad of odd 'burgers.

Cheeseburger - Though many burgs are famously associated with cheese, those towns (and regions) are usually associated with specific varieties of cheese.

Bacon Cheeseburger - Bacon Cheeseburg probably has a waiting list of want-to-be inhabitants.

Veggieburger - One might question the mental acuity of Veggieburg's burghers.

Soyburger - A co-worker who originally came from rural Illinois refers to the central part of his home state as 'Soybeania.' Soyburg might well be a small town, possibly an unknown county seat in rural central Illinois' Soybeania region.

Fishburger - Another flavorful sandwich ascribed to the burghers who inhabit some small fishing port.

Sandwiches made of chopped ham, ground pork and even chopped Spam have been offered as hamburgers in some parts of the world - each was, I'm sure, delicious in its own way.Drool
Topic: Drawal
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:08:06 AM

Think In the spirit of Norma Loquendi (“Consuetudo, jus et norma loquendi” : The right method of speaking and pronouncing is established by custom... ) I would note that your usage of 'drawal' in place of 'withdrawal' is immediately understandable.

That said, you should probably be careful to avoid using 'drawal' in formal settings, choosing to use withdrawal in any business-related, official, scholarly or other formal writing.

Given the number of neologisms and modified locutions (does prepone still confuse anyone?) which have been provided to the wider English using world by speakers and writers of Hinglish and other Indian Englishes, it is possible that 'drawal' might become a recognized and established variation.
Topic: ±15.4%
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:04:57 AM
Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
What does the number " ±15.4% " refer to in this context?

According to the crash stats report, “brake related problems as critical reasons accounted for about 22 percent (±15.4%)” of crashes where vehicle failure was the cited cause of the crash.

Source:
http://www.lowmanlawfirm.com/blog/bid/63142/top-5-mechanical-failures-that-cause-car-accidents

If the result of the report fluctuates between 15 to 16 percent out of 22 percent, then the result can be so inaccurate and doesn't worth announcing!

It doesn't make sense!

Applause You are right - announcing an estimate of 22% with a margin of error of (±15.4%)” is hardly worth the breath used to make the announcement.

The law firm which provided the statistic in its blog is apparently engaging in the practice of ambulance chasing.
Topic: Etc?
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:05:31 PM

...thinking about the use of 'etc'....sounds correct to me. Dancing

What's your opinion dear friends?[/quote]

ETC - Think perhaps this contraction of et cetera ought to be seen as an invitation : exit to cogitate. A thoughtful reader might well use 'etc' as an excuse to take a minute or two to consider the writer's intent.

In some cases the use of etc (et cetera = and the other things) is merely a space saving device used by a writer who assumes (consciously or not) that his readers will envision approximately the same list of 'other things.'

In other cases a writer who uses etc may be intentionally prescribing a list of other things, a list of values or viewpoints which the writer is endeavoring to imply must be shared by readers who are appropriately educated and properly socialized. In such a case, readers who are unaware of the implied proper list of other things might vaguely sense that they are somehow excluded from some select group. Readers who knowingly don't subscribe to the attitudes upon which that approved list of other things is based, will be acutely aware that they are intentionally ostracized by that company of right-thinking people.
Topic: ...placing the clothes/clothing on your body.
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 2:56:48 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Putting on refers to the act of placing the clothing on your body.

Is 'clothing' correct or should it be 'clothes'?

Thank

Though both 'clothing' and 'clothes' are used, personal experience would lead me to believe that 'clothes' is rather more frequently used in normal speech.
Topic: sermon vs lecture
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:34:01 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The Buddhist priest delivered a sermon/lecture.

Is 'sermon' reserved only for a lecture given by a Pastor or Father?

Thanks.

Just to add a specific citation to DragOnspeaker's answer. I have heard Thai Buddhist monks use the English word sermon as a translation for the Thai word เทศน์ (thet - sounding very like the English name Tate, with the vowel somewhat elongated)
Topic: ...thank you in advance...
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:10:49 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
I often see I thank you in advance for your assistance.

According to one of my grammar books, the sentence is not appropriate. The reason stated was that 'I thank you in advance'means that you are demanding help when the recipient has the right not to help.

I wonder whether native speakers agree with this grammarian?

Thanks.

Short answer: No. This 'grammarian' has taken pedantic prescription beyond the realm of grammar.

Though it is possible that the phrase 'I thank you in advance' might be wielded in an effort to psychologically compel a certain response, most uses of that phrase would stem from a desire to be polite or to show gratitude for useful aid.
Topic: he is the one
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:53:31 PM
prince wrote:
"I think in this reality show he is the one that will draw the most viewers as crazy one"

does it mean he will makes the viewers crazy in the above sentence?

(C)razy one here refers back to the not further identified he. The prediction is that most viewers will tune in to see the antics of the crazy one.
Topic: What does " Before " mean here?
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:42:54 PM
[quote=Romany]
O.B. - sorry, don't mean to to sound as though I'm putting your system down.
-
So I guess bargaining - Eurasian-style - is out of the question?
quote]

Romany, don't worry. It's not really my system, just one of the systems that I've lived with.

I spent some of my youth and a substantial part of my middle years working in Sunny Southeast Asia, so I have done enough of the one-on-one market sort of bargaining to be reasonably good at it.

A certain wonderful Thai woman (my dear wife of 26 years) tends to disagree with my assessment of my own bargaining skills - when we are at markets in Thailand she will often tell me to stand still and keep my pink face out of sight while she goes after some particular market stall with real intent.

Back in the USA (to coin a phrase). Hard bargaining (Eurasian-style) is generally expected here when purchasing cars or real estate. Office supplies chain stores, electronic goods chain stores and chain hardware stores/garden centers will often have coupons available or will give other sorts of discounts on request - I suppose that this could be seen as an attenuated form of bargaining.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.