Profile: Orson Burleigh
About
User Name: Orson Burleigh
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 242
[0.03% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: is "I'm on Heathrow airport" correct ?
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 12:34:21 PM
cs chaka wrote:
is "I'm on Heathrow airport" correct ? I mean is it correct to use the preposition "on" here ? Mind you, what I want to convey is that I'm in the main building/terminal. I know the usual preposition for that is "in" ("I'm in the airport"), but can I also say "I'm on Heathrow airport" for that meaning ? Thanks.

'I am on Heathrow.' The preposition on might be appropriately used specifically in context of pilot/navigator reporting position in relation to Heathrow. This would indicate that the aircrew has either an established electronic link or reference (radio-telephone, ILS, radar, etcetera) or visual confirmation of position in relation to the airport.
Topic: nutty goodness
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:17:13 AM
Think
AlyonaSunlight wrote:
Hello, everyone!

I have a question about one scene from "Friends":

An impolite nurse in ER is talking on the phone (holding a candy bar in her hand) and says:

"It says to call if you're not satisfied with this candy bar. Well, I'm not completely satisfied. Well, the label promises nutty goodness.

What does "goodness" mean in this context?
Does it mean "the part of something, especially of food, that is good for health"? In this case I'm a bit confused with the word "nutty". Nutty "good-for-health" qualities? d'oh!
Or does it have anything to do with "being good = tasty and so on"?

Thank you in advance!

The goodness in this case is good flavor or deliciousness, so 'tasty,' as you correctly suggested. The promised flavorful deliciousness of whichever particular brand/variety of candy bar is expected to be enhanced by the inclusion of nuts (usually groundnuts such as peanuts or tree nuts such as almonds or cashews), therefore nutty goodness. Think"Good-for-health" pseudo medication qualities were not implied in the promise of "nutty goodness."
Topic: I think/ I am thinking
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:00:24 PM
FX2 wrote:
I found this text in my English book. I think there is a mistake, but I let you decide that.

It reads, "You're thinking it will last forever, and you spend it quickly."

I believe the answer should be like this, You think it will last forever, and you spend it quickly.

regards,Boo hoo!

Either form is correct, and the two versions convey substantially the same information.

The two different versions might be seen as suggesting some very subtle connotative difference: 'You are thinking' may be seen as separating an ongoing habit of thought from the essential personality of the unidentified profligate, while 'You think' might imply an incorrigibility of that person's thought process.Think Or perhaps it is the other way 'roundAnxious
Topic: Ski
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:36:39 PM
Atatürk wrote:
I used to ski to school.

Is it grammatical?

Yes. 'Ski' is a used as a verb as well as a noun.
Topic: man & woman
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 3:47:56 AM
palapaguy wrote:
Romany wrote:
Zhong -

"... English has changed over the last 60 years and "Man" and "Mankind" have now become "Humans" and "Humankind"."

Everyone knows this is true. Only a few opinionated holdouts refuse to acknowledge it.

Special pleading. The 'All the best people see it our way' last resort of over-reaching prescriptivists.
Topic: Is
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 8:32:00 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
My apologies for missing out the question.

What I meant was whether "as" can replace "is" in "perceive is"?

Thanks .

You are correct: "is" can be replaced by "as."
Topic: left-field
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 8:21:15 AM
Romany wrote:

Orson - the way it's used here is analogous to "left field" thinking.

"We're encouraging some blue sky thinking here."
"Now is the time to break out of the mould and produce some blue-sky thinking."
"We need new ideas, new solutions, new regulations. So I only want blue-sky thinkers on the panel."

So, more like an appeal for 'clean-slate,' 'unfettered to the past,' 'brain-storming' then.

Thank you
Topic: due to the reason...
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:19:04 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Is "due to the reason..." correct? I have seen it in print several times?

Thanks.

Given that "due to the reason..." does clearly convey information, it is not incorrect. That said, it would often be seen or heard as rather an awkward or a stiltedly formal phrase.

If the usage were something like "due to the reason(s) previously cited..." it would probably have been chosen as part of an effort to impart information in a formal, impersonal fashion.

If the usage was more colloquial, something like "due to the reason that you shouldn't have gone there..." the usage might well represent unedited thought, rendered as if it were hasty speech.
Topic: left-field
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:24:28 PM
Romany wrote:

Anything, ANYTHING to get rid of 'blue-sky thinking'!!

Think Other than the current discussion of left-field thinking, I must admit that, without more context, I am not crystal clear on 'blue-sky thinking.' If forced to guess, something like 'clean-slate' 'brain-storming' or unanticipated attack, the proverbial 'bolt from the blue,' would come to mind.
Topic: Grammatical sentence 3
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 6:16:08 PM
Atatürk wrote:
The largest country in area in the West Hemisphere, Brazil is the only country in the hemisphere where Portuguese is the first language.

Grammatical?

The statement is grammatically correct, though not factually so: In the Western Hemisphere, Canada and the United States are of greater land area than Brazil. West Hemisphere is rare, though not entirely unknown; Western Hemisphere is the more common usage.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.