User Name: franziska_01
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 147
[0.02% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: St. Agatha Festival
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:18:15 AM
In Genoa, St. Agatha Day marks the beginning of springtime agricultural works. St. Agatha Fair, a very big affair in which everything is sold, from clothing to food, to animals and plants, is held on the first Sunday in February. With St. Peter and Paul Fair, on June, 29th, is the seasonal main Fair in Genoa.
Topic: MY QUESTION
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:08:40 AM
Arch is a prefix deriving from Ancient Greek, present in many languages under different forms (for instance, in Italian is "arci"). It means "the greatest". So, arch-enemy means the greatest enemy, arch-fiend means the greatest fiend and so on.
Topic: How to describe a personality of her?
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:00:23 AM
strong-willd, self-willed, self-righteous, self-centred, self-absorbed, arrogant, self-assured
Topic: white picket fence
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:51:27 AM
Jadesqr wrote:
Please, America has no monopoly on actual 'white picket fences' as they appear in many countries.

Well, if I used this expression in my own language (i.e. Italian), it would mean my dream is owning a cattle farm.:-D :-D :-D
Topic: white picket fence
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 5:15:37 AM
A white picket fence surrounds the traditional American home, a detached house with a lawn, a swing, rosebushes, flowering plants at the windows and lace curtains. In this context it means "maybe we'll marry, we'll have a traditional American Home and we'll live happily ever after."
Topic: Words within words
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:52:02 AM
gent, gel, gene
Topic: Roses grow on bushes
Posted: Monday, November 3, 2014 10:31:55 AM
foto su facebook

I hope it is vivid enough! The red things are roses, the green thing is a rosebush, a bush on which roses grow.
Topic: around the streets/on the streets
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:12:06 AM
Both are correct, but he meaning is different.
I walked around the streets of London means you wandered around, looking here and there, without a precise aim.
I walked on the streets of London has to be put in a context: I walked on the streets of london for the first time when I was fifteen.

You might say that, while the first sentence has a meaning in itself, the second hasn't.
Topic: life- enhancing exhibition[
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:56:55 AM
a life- enhancing exhibition when I see one."

I am wondering what the bold part means.

Any help would be appreciated
a life- enhancing exhibition is an exhibition (a display/show where works of art are exposed)that improves/makes better one's life.

In the gallery director Richard's opinion, seeing that exhibition improves his life (his understanding, his knowledge, his feelings etc etc).
Topic: ...to be one cubit from the floor...
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:58:58 AM
rossalicia wrote:
Hello!

I am not sure if 'one cubit' fits in the context:

When our travellers found what they wanted, they fell, exhausted, on their couches, which were only one cubit from the floor. Both of them wanted to sleep until the next day, but two young girls appeared in the room; they told them they were at their service. The girls were scantily dressed, and they addressed them as masters.
“We need a good bath, food, and bed”, answered the Pharaoh.
The girls flew out, and they came back with two hefty boys, who brought two scented and white litters.
They led Osarsip and Amenhepat out on the litter, without their dusty clothes, and they took them to the mud pool.
The girls bathed them like children; everything was comfort, luxury, and exaggerated overwhelming attention in that place. After washing/bathing, they went to the dining room; there were all kind of fruit, delicacies, and comfits; enough food to nourishfeed a whole family.

Thanks.

In my opinion One cubit from the floor is ok.

Are you sure about mud pool? Mud is sticky mixture of soil and water, how can one wash in it?