Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 96
[0.01% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "to"
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 3:57:54 PM
If the child is to use signs, the parents and educators must become fluent signers to allow their child's language production skills to progress." in this sentence does "to" give an obligation meaning?
Topic: help with the meaning
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 2:26:32 PM
"some deaf children have been known to have had a tracheostomy with the stoma left in place for 15+ years. "
Dear forum users , what do you understand from this sentence?
Topic: help with these confusing words:with many having few ,if any friends?
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:10:53 PM
you make it more clear. thank you:)
Topic: help with these confusing words:with many having few ,if any friends?
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:17:47 PM
"these are more challenging for individuals with this syndrome, with many having few if any friends"
starting this sentence, everyting was alright, but the words in topic make my mind goes blank d'oh!
Topic: one-on-one
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:48:26 PM
Thanks:) and, just to be clear; a challange starts if this child with syndrome need special help. am I right?
Topic: one-on-one
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:28:00 PM
"Another challenge may arise when a teenager with this syndrome requires significant one-on-one attention." can you please share your ideas about this sentence if you understand clearly.
Topic: subject-verb agreement
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:41:35 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
1. The benefits of a healthy lifestyle are so much...
2. The importance of eating lots of vegetables shows that people are tend to...
3. Making big changes in your life is not so hard.
4. Smokers who think they can quit easily do not try to quit.
5. An overweight person who continues to eat lots of candies and sweets is in the risk of heart attack
6. The fact that change becomes more difficult as you become older is found after a research conducted by famous pshchologists.
7. What the research shows us is majority number of people in Turkey is smoking. ???
8. A lot of teenagers tend to wear at least one tatoo.
9. Most of his time is wasted by him.
10. Each of the students in this class has a computer.

Applause Applause Applause well done.

Some tricky ones there, "a lot" is plural but "most" is, in this case, uncountable ...

The only question I have is in number 7 - you would not say "the majority number of..." and you would not say "is smoking".

The sentence would normally be "What the research shows us is the majority of people in Turkey smoke". "is smoking" means right at this very second, they have a cigarette in their mouths. "They smoke" means generally, at some time, regularly they have a cigarette.
Changing "majority number" to "the majority" changes to number to plural.

There are a couple of other grammar points:

sentence 2 - "...people tend to..." or "... people are tending to ...", but not "... people are tend to ..."

sentence 5 - "... is at risk of (a) heart attack." not "... is in risk of heart attack."

Than you very much, I should be more careful while doing a sentence spontaneously. :)
Topic: subject-verb agreement
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:51:56 PM
Hi there, could you please check these senences according to subject verb agreement?
1. The benefits of a healthy lifestyle are so much...
2. The importance of eating lots of vegetables shows that people are tend to...
3.  Making big changes in your life is not so hard.
4.  Smokers who think they can quit easily do not try to quit.
5.  An overweight person who continues to eat lots of candies and sweets is in the risk of heart attack
6.  The fact that change becomes more difficult as you become older is found after a research conducted by famous pshchologists.
7.  What the research shows us is majority number of people in Turkey is smoking.
8.  A lot of teenagers tend to wear at least one tatoo.
9.  Most of his time is wasted by him.
10.  Each of the students in this class has a computer.
Topic: Anyone understanding this sentence, I am waiting your answers :)
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 5:58:58 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi dadi!
This would fit in the 'philosophy' forum too! :-))

To me, it means that a teacher should not just rôtely 'go through the book', one chapter a week.

The goal (objective) is not "to teach the book".

The goal is not "to teach the students about the book".

The goal is "to have the students understand the subject being taught".

Thank you for your clear answer dragonspeaker. because of the unusual structure of sentence, i thought it woul be better to write it in here.
Topic: Here's my totally anal-retentive question
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 5:49:26 AM
In my money it is appropriate to use "italizing" for both punctuation and term. I think it should be like this.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.