User Name: FounDit
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Psychology, philosophy, thought-provoking discussions
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 11,167
[1.18% of all post / 3.91 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: what is the difference between "only" and "single"?
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:13:01 PM
nightdream wrote:
An only cow or a single cow? (that I have).

"Only" usually means "this and no more". So "I only have a cow" means I have one and no more.

"I only have a single cow" means the same thing. I have one and no more.

"I have a single cow" is the same. I have only one, and no more.

These are different ways to say the same thing.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Topic: Walk
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:07:29 PM
Atatürk wrote:
I go walking/for a walk.

Any nuance in meaning?

I go walking/for a walk would normally be said as an answer to a question such as, "What do you do in your free time?"

About the only other way to say it would be to add words: "I go walking/for a walk for exercise".

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Topic: Sport
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:04:33 PM
Atatürk wrote:
I usually play sport/sports at the weekends.

What's the difference please?

We don't say "I usually play sport at the weekends". It would always be "sports" and on the weekend.

Topic: Will
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:02:47 PM
Atatürk wrote:
In this essay I will explain the reasons in detail.

I know the natural choice is "will" in the above, but omitting it would be wrong or awkward?
Using "will" states your intention to explain . Omitting "will" conveys the idea that the essay explains your reasons. It shifts the attention slightly to the essay rather than your intention.

What about replacing it by "am going to"?
It's the same as "will". It states your intention.

Topic: Would
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:58:20 PM
Atatürk wrote:
Several years ago most people would/used to go to speak to our friends, but now many go on social media to communicate with each other.

Both correct and natural?

No. There is not a connection between "most people" and "our friends". The normal way to say this is that most people used to ( would talk to) talk to their friends, but now, many go on (or, use) social media to communicate with each other.

Topic: essay number six
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:46:48 PM
Atatürk wrote:
Thank you very much.

Is the following correct?

Had I the chance..., I would have never made..."

Shouldn't the condition clause be in past perfect (third conditional)?

Had I had..., I would have pp.
If I had had..., I would have pp.

I'm no expert on grammar, so I can't advise you on that. I wrote it that way because I was thinking of your comment concerning this experience as "a few months ago". Since that was in the past, I simply thought in past tense. Perhaps I should have written, "Had I the opportunity at that time to browse through the pages in a physical bookstore...", but it didn't occur to me then.

Topic: Falsehood is so easy, truth so difficult.
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:36:01 PM
thar wrote:
Coming from someone who had to use a male pen-name to be taken seriously as an author, I see her point. Whistle

On the subject of art and story-telling:

What she wrote here, and you quoted, reveals far more than just her thinking on art and story-telling. It reveals her to be no respecter of persons; someone who sees that the king and the pauper eat from the same field; that both deserve respect and consideration. She was, and remains, a very impressive woman.

Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:03:52 PM
Atatürk wrote:
BobShilling wrote:
Atatürk wrote:
Thank you very much both of you dears.

'Dear(s)' is an inappropriate form of address except to close family members and young children.

Thank you Bob.

What about "dear" as an adjective, e.g. "dear John"?

The word "dear" is primarily used nowadays in the salutations of letters as you have it here with, "Dear John/Dear Sirs/Dear Madam or Ms.".

Otherwise, using "dear" or "dears" is most often used by women more than men to refer to other people such as close family members and young children, as BobShilling said.

This form of address has increasingly fallen out of favor in more modern times, so that's why it sounds a bit odd on a forum to refer to other members. You would be in good form to simply say "friends" or, perhaps, even "dear friends" on some occasions.

"Dear friends" simply conveys the idea of favorable feelings towards others, and has a slightly less intimate sense to it.

Topic: This box set includes...
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:37:08 PM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is there anything wrong in these sentences?

This is a collection consisting of the movie and bonus clips.

Short summary
This box set includes the feature Alita: Battle Angel and additional clips, namely, Streets of Iron City and Allies and Adversaries.

Long summary
Enjoy Alita: Battle Angel, an epic adventure of hope and empowerment. Waking up with no memory of her own, a futuristic cyborg uses her fighting abilities to battle evil as she searches for the truth about her past. The adventure doesn't stop there! Director Robert Rodriguez gives a set tour of Iron City, with cast and crew insights, and a behind-the-scenes look at the city’s creation in Streets of Iron City. And lastly, meet the Allies and Adversaries that Alita encounters in Iron City.

Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:32:58 PM
Atatürk wrote:
Thank you very much both of you dears. I've taken into consideration all you said and revised the essay. I would be more than happy if I could have your comments on it once again.

Shopping malls have long been part of the everyday life of people in different cities around the globe. However, more recreational facilities, such as clubs and amusement parks, are being added to these malls increasingly. However, that does not mean they will lose their main purpose (shopping) as time goes on.

There is no way around the fact that online shopping has overwhelmed traditional ways of buying goods. People can now browse through thousands of different items at the touch of a button online. Yet, such methods have drawbacks too, which have somehow guaranteed the survival of shopping malls and other traditional methods of shopping. For example, buyers in a shopping mall have the opportunity of checking different aspects of the products in person, which will never become a possibility in the foreseeable future for online shopping. Although most of the online markets provide their customers with the picture, size, and other specifications of their goods, often times it happens that the actual product is not what the screens demonstrate. Personally, a few months ago I bought the second edition of a book whose first edition I had read. When I received the actual product, I realized that the change between the two editions was minimal, except for the front and back covers.

Your point about products being different indicates that they may be very different, but your example shows that your book had an almost negligible difference. I would reword that part to show that difference can be large or very small, but that the customer should be aware of that.

Yes, the difference was negligible, what I didn't expect to see; I paid money for the second edition because I thought there was something really new and different from the first edition I already had. Had I had the chance to browse through the pages in a physical bookstore, I would have never made that purchase. Does that make sense now? Should add more information to the paragraph to make it clearer?
This is a perfect illustration of the point. You could include it in your paragraph to do so like this:

"Although most of the online markets provide their customers with the picture, size, and other specifications of their goods, often times it happens that the actual product is not what the screens demonstrate. Personally, a few months ago I bought the second edition of a book whose first edition I had read because I thought there was something really new and different from the first edition I already had. When I received the actual product, however, I realized that the change between the two editions was minimal, except for the front and back covers. Had I the chance to browse through the pages in a physical bookstore, I would have never made that purchase."

Malls also have some unique features that no other alternative can catch up with. They are usually home to various stores and boutiques that in turn have an amazing selection of products of different brands. That means people do not have to make several journeys around the city to take care of their necessities; they can go just to one place and buy all they need. In addition, shopping is indeed an amusing and entertaining experience for many people. As a matter of fact, window shopping has become common practice among many people in different nations. Sometimes they browse through a store's merchandise to learn about an item– an electronic gadget for example– to see if they really need it, or if there is a new product they are unaware of. The mere act of window shopping can indeed be fun and profitable.

Because of their specific characteristics discussed above, malls will always secure their status as shopping centers, and more entertainment facilities will just add to their profile as “shopping” places, but will never render them obsolete.

Any better?

I think these changes make it very good now.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.