Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9,438
[1.05% of all post / 3.68 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: DC Super Hero Girls: Legends of Atlantis
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 2:10:16 PM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, do you see anything grammatically wrong in these sentence?
The word "discovered" seems out of place. I assume the book has recently been discovered, and if so, then I would move that to a position prior to the title.

Short summary
When ocean-dwelling thieves, Mera and Siren steal the recently discovered Book of Legends from Super Hero Girls. It’s up to the Super Hero Girls to head to Atlantis to get it back from them.

It really isn't a mystery if they know who took the book, so I would change that a bit.
Long summary
Mera and Siren, a pair of thieves from the ocean kingdom of Atlantis, steal the Book of Legends from Super Hero Girls. In order to retrieve it, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Bumblebee and the rest of the DC Super Hero Girls must combine their powers to journey deep beneath the ocean in pursuit of the thieves before they can locate the Trident of Atlantis and take over the entire ocean.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Topic: Which statement sounds the best to the native speaker's ear?
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 10:05:17 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Suppose X is the name of a religion

1. It is Only ABC that/which Correctly Inherits Its Founder's Teachings.

2. ABC -- The Only Religion that/which Correctly Inherits Its Founder's Teachings.

3. ABC -- the Only Religion that/which Correctly Inherits Its Founder's Teachings.

(a) Of the three statements above, which sounds the best to the native speaker's ear?
The answer will likely be a very subjective one. Each person may choose differently. I like the first one, but all three might be see written with different punctuation.

(b) For the second and third statements, should the 'the' be capitalised?
I think not because the dash stands in for a comma in some writing, and that would indicate no capital letter in the next word.

(c) Should 'that' or 'which' be used?
I think "that" is correct. Using "which" would indicate there are many correctly inheriting its founders teachings and this is one out of many.

(d) If 'which' is the correct word, should there be a comma after "ABC" in statement 1?

(e) Should 'Only' be used in the statements?
It can be used. It intensifies "one". It isn't just one correctly inheriting, it is the "only" one.

Thanks.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Topic: Preposition
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 9:53:48 AM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is this line correct?

Purchase price includes a Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Kids T-shirt. T&C apply.

Since this appears to be a title printed on a T-shirt, I think it needs to be in either bold or italics.

Purchase price includes a Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Kids T-shirt. T&C apply.

Topic: (a) leeway
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 10:51:08 AM
Hmm...adults and parents setting the rules rather than the children. Sounds like Common Sense to me...Think

Topic: Get help vs take help
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:07:20 AM
Romany wrote:

In BE we would tend to say "take him up on" his offer of help.

"I'd like to take him up on his offer of help."
"I'm thinking of taking him up on his offer of help."

We would also say exactly these kinds of things in AmE.

Topic: On the two eyes
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:45:57 AM
georgew wrote:
FounDit wrote:
It isn't clear to me what is meant. Perhaps if you link to the source we could be of more help.

This, perhaps.

That does appear to be the source. In that case, it seems to me that the technique involves creating a final photograph by focusing (registering) on the eyes in each picture used. Doing so results in a blend of photos into one composite photo.

Topic: What Exactly Is Common Sense? We All Think We Have It.
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:29:44 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I don't agree fully there - you must agree there are instances of someone deliberately doing something to save the family (or the nation, or Humankind even) which is 100% certain to kill themselves.
That is not doing what is good for self as an individual.
However that is not what I'd consider 'common sense'.
There are, of course, people who will sacrifice themselves for members of their family, and often for other members of the human race (soldiers come to mind who volunteer with the knowledge they may very well die). However, common sense would tell us that it is better that we don't die in defense of others so we can continue to be of help to them. That's all common sense would say.

To me, really, I suppose that 'common sense' comes down to "knowing what is the right thing to do - the thing which will help (or at least not harm) oneself, the family, one's groups, the species, the planet - without having to ruminate and contemplate for more than a very brief time".

A simple problem - I have an egg sitting at the bottom of a pot of boiling water.
Someone with common sense picks up the spoon on the table and takes the egg out (or, failing a spoon, picks up the pot and empties the water out) and eats the egg.
And here, the common sense I describe that would be passed down from previous generations would be to use a spoon (or tongs, anything but a hand...Brick wall ).

Someone without common sense thinks - "now, if I stick my hand in there I'll get scalded . . .
and if I wait for the water to cool down, the egg will be cold too . . . I could turn the heat up to full and evaporate all the water away, but might burn the house down . . . and maybe I could get someone else to stick their hand in the boiling water . . . but that's a bit nasty . . . no what I'll do is . . . no, that doesn't work."

A more complex one:
There is a new source of energy - a personal, watch-sized fission generator. It will make the developer a fortune, but anyone using it will die in thirty years.

Someone with common sense (I think) would publish the research widely (including the dangers) in the hope that someone would find a safe way to get all this energy - possibly this person would invest in a company researching it.
I agree. Someone with common sense would have the understanding from previous generations that if life is to continue, one would not do something to destroy it.

Someone with no common sense would promote the gadget, without mentioning the dangers, and die along with everyone else.
This would be an instance of putting the self above the interests of others - true selfishness, such as that of the politicians I noted, not the kind I described as preserving the self by benefiting others.

Topic: Refer
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:12:45 AM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Are both the following correct?
Yes, but there is a very slight difference in the meaning.

They are worth referring to because... .
This one conveys the idea that there is value to you in using them.
They are worth (you) referring to them because...

They are worth being referred to because... .
This one conveys the idea that they have value in themselves and are worth using as a reference.
They are (worthy) of being referenced because...

Topic: Is 'material' in the text a countable noun?
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:03:50 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
This booklet is an extremely useful material for all people who want to know more about Buddhism.
This booklet is extremely useful material for all people who want to know more about Buddhism.

Is 'material' in the text a countable noun?

Thanks.

No, it isn't. "Material" would be uncoutable. Also, your first sentence is not correct with the word "an". That word should be omitted. However, if you wanted to use it, you would say something like, "This booklet is an extremely useful source (of) material for all people who want to know more about Buddhism".

Topic: On the two eyes
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 9:58:50 AM
It isn't clear to me what is meant. Perhaps if you link to the source we could be of more help.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.