Interests: Life, languages, Scientology
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 32,326
[3.45% of all post / 11.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Modern Ancient Music?
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 9:38:29 AM
There's always been a bit of 'politicking' in it - from rumours of the Scandinavian judges 'pooling' their votes to let AbbA win and the French and English judges seeming to give ridiculously low votes to England and France.

It always seemed to me that the 'popular vote' always produced a bunch of bland 'blah' music except for the occasional flash of brilliance.

The funniest thing I remember is the 1994 show - where the act the audience roared for was the one put on in the interval while the votes were being counted.

The winners of the contest were PAUL HARRINGTON & CHARLIE McGETTIGAN performing "ROCK 'N' ROLL KIDS" - ever heard of them since?
The interval "fill-in act" was Riverdance with Michael Flatley and Susan Butler. Now they're famous!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Topic: times tables
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 9:11:01 AM
"Ten pounds six" (ten pounds and six shillings) would normally be written £10/6 or £10-6-0.
"Ten and six" (ten shillings and six pence) would be 10/6 or 10/6d.

It would normally be obviously money, so the 'd' symbol was not really needed.

Most things were less than a pound in the amounts normally sold for a family (when I was young, a little before decimalisation, petrol was about 17/6 a gallon, beef was 18/- (eighteen shillings exactly, no pence) a pound, a Mars bar was 4d (one sixtieth of a pound). So 'pounds' (as the unusual unit) was written.

By default, things would be priced:
10/6 (Ten shillings and six pence) ("Ten and six")
£20/2/6½ ("Twenty pound, two and sixpence-ha'penny")
£49/19/11 or £49-19-11 ("Forty-nine pound nineteen and eleven" or "Fifty pound bar a penny")

Some things were priced in guineas - occasionally things like house-prices or solicitor's fees.
"A hundred guineas" sort of sounds less than "a hundred and five pounds".

But the gold guinea coin was not really in circulation and use with the value of £1-1-0.
If you had one, you could spend it as a guinea, but it would be worth more to sell as gold.

Similarly the silver crown (five-shillings coin) was worth several pounds intrinsic value of silver, and was still issued on special occasions - and could be spent for five shillings if you were silly enough.

Topic: shopping mall
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:25:58 AM
It's an invented use by someone in America.

This is the definition from the Collins English Dictionary:

mall n
1. (Human Geography) a shaded avenue, esp one that is open to the public
2. (Commerce) US and Canadian and Austral and NZ short for 'shopping mall'
[C17: after The Mall, in St James's Park, London. See pall-mall]

Collins English Dictionary

Shops are sometimes in the sun. It can become hot walking from one shop to the other.
Someone came up with the idea of building a shaded street full of shops (with a roof to keep the sun away) and call it a 'shopping mall' - because 'mall' means 'shaded avenue'.

Topic: take a lesson
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:16:34 AM
Oh gosh!

I hate to say this, but 'lesson' has two meanings, too. I didn't think of that second meaning, as it never really applied to me.
It's quite amazing how we ('natives') don't even listen to the words we use, even as we say them!

c. The act or an instance of instructing; teaching. (American Heritage)
a. a unit, or single period of instruction in a subject; class (Collins)

b. An assignment or exercise in which something is to be learned. (American Heritage)
3. something from which useful knowledge or principles can be learned; example (Collins)

A student doesn't usually "take an art lesson" or "take a lesson". A teacher takes the lesson or takes the class.

A student may "take art lessons" after school-time, privately - attend tutoring in which useful things can be learned. It's a separate thing from school.
He/she may "take art" in school and attend lessons, but that's not called 'taking art lessons'.

At school, the students HAVE lessons or classes.
One specific teacher takes one specific lesson or class.

If you asked a student what he/she was doing at 2pm yesterday, they might say "I was in the English class/lesson." (Or just "I was in English.")
If you asked a teacher the same thing, it would be "I was taking the English class."

I hope that all makes sense.

Topic: times tables
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:25:40 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Y111 wrote:

They must have counted double paces: left + right. I vaguely remember reading that somewhere.

Yes, this looks more likely!

Yes - a 'pasus' was the distance between the left foot mark and the left foot mark (a double-step).

1 Mile
1000 paces
2000 steps
1760 yards (a step is a bit less than a yard, which is an arm-measurement)

1609 metres (a metre is a bit more than a yard - a metre is the circumference of the Earth divided by 40,100 approximately . . .) or in modern days, a metre is actually defined as: "the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second".

The cost would be shown as £1/3/5 ("one pound three and five").

It was actually easier to do the mental arithmetic in units of 12, 20 and 60.

The Mad Hatter's hat was "ten and six" (or formally, "ten and sixpence").

Topic: take a lesson
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 6:35:17 AM
Hi!
Yes - they're different definitions.

take - v
7c. To commit and apply oneself to the study of: take art lessons; take Spanish.
7d. To study for with success: took a degree in law.

8e. To submit to (something inflicted); undergo or suffer
8f. To put up with; endure or tolerate:
(That's my joke)
8i. To agree to undertake or engage in (a task or duty, for example):
American Heritage
9. to assume the obligations of
19. to make, do, or perform (an action):
42. to conduct or lead:
18. to work at or study: to take economics at college.
Collins

A teacher takes a lesson or a class.
A student takes a subject.

I took English Language at school. (I was a student).
Mr Green took the English class when I was at school. (He was the teacher.)

Topic: shopping mall
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 6:15:15 AM
"Mall" does not mean the same as "shopping mall".

This is "The Mall" in London.

Not a shop in sight.

Topic: Which sentence is punctuated in the British way?
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 6:06:37 AM
There is no single "British way". There are several styles (none of them are "RULES" or "HAVE to be followed") which are used in both Britain and America.

This quotation "The British also place punctuation outside the quotation marks, unlike Americans, who tend to place them inside" is a very general statement and very misleading.

The use of single or double quotation marks is again just a matter of choice. Some British people do it one way and others do the reverse.
The only thing to be certain to do is to alternate types: single, double, single, double.

The most common style in Britain is one called "Logical Punctuation" (which still has a couple of points which are a bit illogical).

The main rule of this is "If the quoted text included punctuation marks, show them inside the quotation marks. If there is no punctuation in the quoted text, don't add any."

John said, "I have just finished reading Browning's 'My Last Duchess.'"
There is no need for a comma after "said" - there is no pause there, and the quotation marks do the job of separating the quotation from the introductory phrase.
"My Last Duchess" is not a sentence, so should not have a full stop.
"I have just finished reading Browning's 'My Last Duchess'." IS a sentence, so needs a full stop.

John said "I have just finished reading Browning's 'My Last Duchess'."
John said "I have just finished reading 'My Last Duchess' by Browning."
John said 'I have just finished reading Browning's "My Last Duchess".'
John said 'I have just finished reading "My Last Duchess" by Browning.'

These would be perfectly acceptable in "logical punctuation".

Topic: Is the comma after "be" needed?
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 5:37:03 AM
I agree - the quotation is rally just the subject complement - it acts like "a noun".

The usual wording would be “Dr Lee said that she and her younger brother seek only to honour their parents’ wishes, and have nothing else to gain.”

The usual wording would be an adjective-phrase or a noun-phrase.

The usual wording would be the simplest.

Topic: Is the "the" correct, or it has to be removed?
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 4:04:42 AM
Hi David.

I think you could use it or omit it.
However, if you use it you are limiting the "things" a little - not that it makes much difference.

all the tourists want to see the old things like the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven and they are right there
They want to see the specific old things which exist in Beijing.

all the tourists want to see old things, (like the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven), and they are right there
The tourists like old things in general (for example the Forbidden City).

EDIT:
Again thar is just ahead of me - but we agree.
As he says, probably leaving it in is more exactly what the writer intended.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.