Interests: Life, languages, Scientology
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 27,783
[3.19% of all post / 11.78 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: pick shoe
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:53:05 AM
The game 'Monopoly' has a board and each player has a 'token' which he/she moves around the board.

One of these is a dog, another is a shoe.

She usually played as the dog, but tonight she picked (chose) to play as the shoe.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Topic: Nonsense Poems and Prose
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 4:07:56 AM
In similar vein - particularly popular when I was young - is this style.

This is part of the biography of Professor Stanley Unwin.
Quote:

Stanley found his fame by accidend, this whole fame did come about because instead of use the fundermold of the basic Engly twentyfido to carry out a testy-testy 123 he did useit the corruptations gobeldygook Unwinese in some great folly.

Well, when the great boss men what reside way up and above the floor of the studio soundy worky men below did hearit this corruptatious testy testy recordy of the gibberish words and sacrilade of the Engly languid, yet clearly counjoury of the imagy it was. These great and powerful men did decideit that the maker of this strange languid would make a great comedie and giveit the opportunitode to turny and come over t'other side of the microphode, Oh yes!

It was with deep joy that Stan discoverode that he could make many toils the salary of a yeard, with one or three days of talky his Unwinese, and furtherly that his languid could make laughter amongst the peopload and giveit him opportunitodes to worky with great comedie ands such as Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers.

Unwin worked on the radiode and televode, untill became he a housey holdy name in the nineteen fiflies. He made the "Rotatey Diskers with Unwin" LP which includey many such once upon a titos and Unwin speaky on many a subjey. O yes!

As Stan's fame did grow, he made appearends in cameodes in the famous filems of the ear, such being "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Carry on Regardless" and in numerode commercials of the televode.

In nineteeen hundy and sixty ade, Stanley did make his greatesd contributy to the musicold when he did narrade the concept album "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" for the Small Faces, carrying the rythmold’n sound of self expressy-ho to infinny in the cosmos for sure. Deep joy.

Topic: Yoda Speaks Latin!
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:55:30 AM

From school my Latin relearn will I have to.

Topic: To be personal
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:47:20 AM
"Try" has two usages (well, two main ones I can think of).

If you attempt, work at, something the verb 'try' is often followed by a full infinitive with 'to':
I'll try to be there by six, but I may be late.
Try to finish your work today, so we can go to the park tomorrow.
She tried to tell them, but they didn't listen.

Sometimes the infinitive is omitted, if the action is mentioned before or just after:
I'll try (to be there on time), but I may not get there on time.
I may not be there in time, but I'll try (to be there in time).

If you do something once or twice to check whether you like it, or to check whether it works, "try" is followed by the present participle:
I'm going to try using my laptop instead of my phone.
Why don't you try getting up earlier and going to bed earlier?
She tried going to work on her bicycle, but preferred the taxi.

Topic: Something went through her mind about ... == Something PASSED THROUGH her mind about ... == Somethin
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:27:09 AM
Historically, "passed through her mind" was always the most common one.

However, in the past thirty years or so, they are all used equally (in books published in the USA).

In British books, "passed through" is still a little more popular, but there is not much difference.

They all mean the same really.

Topic: does or did
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:20:01 AM
Hi Koh Elaine!

In my opinion, that is not a complete sentence.

It is high time Singapore did something about its inefficient reliance on air-conditioning.

I don't really know the reasoning behind using "did".
I guess it is because the speaker feels that something should have been done in the past.
"High time" means that it is beyond the correct time. The correct time was long ago.

Topic: Should it be was or were?
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:08:34 AM
FounDit wrote:
Of course, that could be the result of living my whole life in the South, where "Pie are squared" is wrong, because everybody knows "Pie are round, cornbread are square" (at least, the way I make it).

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Groan!

Topic: Jam bacteria
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:00:26 AM
I think that the word you are looking for is "inhibit".

In the presence of penicillium mould, the bacteria are inhibited - their growth is 'jammed'.

It is similar to a traffic jam - everything is stopped and cannot move forward. When there is a traffic jam, the traffic is jammed (can't move).

"Jam" is not the usual word - "inhibited" or "stopped" or "killed off".

To jam - in music - usually means playing together unrehearsed.
You just get together and play, usually for fun, not professionally.

When I was at university, the Moody Blues did a concert for us.
For about half and hour, the Mellotron (their main instrument - a synthesiser) didn't work so they just jammed.
They played and sang what they wanted to, for fun, instead of the planned concert.

Sometimes, it includes improvisation.
One person starts off playing a song/tune, and then the others join in, adding harmonies or counterpoint melodies.

Topic: Day 1/one
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 1:31:35 PM
Hi!
There are many different conventions.
As Gabriel says - if it is for yourself, or just amongst friends, no-one will be too bothered.

However, if it is professional, you need to know what the editor expects.

If it is for college, you need to know what your tutor or the examiners expect.

The 'rule' which I was taught as a child, many years ago, is that numbers up to one hundred are always written in full.
Page fifty
The twenty-seventh victim
the 101 dalmatians
The 200 dogs

Another 'rule' which I've seen is that numbers consisting of one or two words are written in full - but numbers which would be three words are written as numerals.
Page fifty
The twenty-seventh victim
the 101 dalmatians
The two hundred dogs

Topic: Preposition
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 1:21:19 PM
There is a difference between American conventions and British ones.

A gang is a group of people - a 'who', not a 'that'.

I'd love to see the UK Winter Olympics team, who are arriving on Wednesday.

I once went to see The Moody Blues that was playing in my university.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.