Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 50
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: search page is broken?
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 6:05:16 AM
Hmm Thanks for the reply, Seems like specific to my browser, strange !!!
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:43:16 AM
It seems that search page is broken. Admin can you please look into this issue ?
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:41:17 AM
It seems that word search page is broken, is this just for me or everybody else ? how do I contact admin ?
Topic: investigation vs probe
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2018 4:15:17 AM
Thanks a lot @Sarrriesfan and @leonAzul , I think I got it now.
Topic: investigation vs probe
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2018 6:41:15 AM
What is the difference between an investigation and a probe, I have followed many answers but couldn't understand it clearly. If you see the below paragraph, in the finish statement is says leading the city to halt construction until they could investigate the structure's safety, can I use probe there ? is it wrong to use probe in this context ?

Quote:

Called "the father of the skyscraper," the Home Insurance Building, constructed in Chicago in1885 (and demolished in 1931), was 138 feet tall and 10 stories. It was the first building to effectively employ a supporting skeleton of steel beams and columns, allowing it to have many more windows than traditional masonry structures. But this new construction method made people worry that the building would fall down, leading the city to halt construction until they could investigate the structure's safety.

Topic: Myriad Usage
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 2:58:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys, your replies helped me to understand the better usage of myriad.
Topic: Myriad Usage
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 5:29:01 AM
Hi Guys,
Can I start my sentence like "In myriad schools, music is part of academic studies" ?
Topic: Rosy Comments
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:56:13 AM
mactoria wrote:
Umamahesh: Thanks for the link to the Buffet article. The context of the article underscores that 'rosy comments' does indeed mean something that is excessively and/or overly optimistic stated e.g. Buffet's statements are overly optimistic (or very optimistic).

Thanks mactoria,
seems like in this context it is positive but at an excess level it seems.
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:53:53 AM
thar wrote:
This idiom may help explain why it means 'overly- optimistic

Quote:
rose-tinted spectacles
rose-tinted spectacles
An unduly idealistic, optimistic, sentimental, or wistful perspective on or about something. Primarily heard in UK. I know Sarah looks on our childhood with rose-tinted spectacles, but I can't put aside how difficult my parents' failing marriage was for all of us. Despite doing worse every quarter for the last two years, our boss keeps seeing the business through rose-tinted spectacles. You need to take off your rose-tinted spectacles for a moment and realise that there are serious problems in the world that need fixing.

well thor,
thats a lot of rose :) , but definitely helpful, thank you !!!
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 3:29:07 AM
hi mactoria,
sorry for being concise, i picked it from a dictionary app while searching for a word epitome. as an example to how epitome can used there were some sample sentences. "Given his rosy comments, some may feel that Buffett is the epitome of a perma-bull. "
now that i have googled it i found that it is from this article. https://www.forbes.com/sites/thestreet/2012/02/06/buffetts-patient-bet-on-housing-recovery/#45b31ec15cde.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.