[0.62% of all post / 1.95 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: double consonant game.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 12:52:57 AM
alcoholic
Topic: FIRST AND LAST LETTERS COMES IN UPCOMING WORDS
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 12:50:12 AM
showerproof
Topic: 'leaking' is an adjectival participle or present continuous tense + an intransitive verb
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 11:03:53 PM
A cooperator wrote:
Audiendus wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
However, about participles, I don't know if they can be used attributively, postpostively, and predicatively.

As a result, what difference would be there between each pair of the sentences below?

The available price for the public is reasonable.
The price available for the public is reasonable.
I cannot really see any difference, but they sound rather odd. We do not normally say that a price is 'available' – we say that goods are available for a particular price.

The exhausting work is a bad job.
The work exhausting is a bad work.
The second one is wrong. 'Exhausting' is an adjective here, not part of a progressive tense, so it goes before the noun. To a native speaker, 'exhausting' is just a description, not an action. It is different from "the people attending", where we think of the action of attending ("the people who are attending").

"the revolting food..."
"the food revolting.... "
As above. "Revolting" is not an action.

His leering glances were revolting to her.
His glances leering were revolting to her.
As above. "Leering" is not an action here. Glances do not leer; people leer.

Training teachers can teach students.
Teachers training can teach students.
Neither of these is wrong; "training" can be thought of either as a description or an action. However, the sentences are ambiguous; they probably refer to teachers who are being trained, but they could also mean teachers who are training other people.

Experiencing teachers could facilitate a language learning.
Teachers experiencing could facilitate a language learning.

Neither of these makes sense. Experiencing what? (Also, "a" before "language learning" is wrong; "learning" is uncountable.)

The shown price is high.
The price shown is high.
No difference, but "the price shown" sounds more natural.

Trained teachers can teach students.
Teachers trained can teach students.
No difference, but only "trained teachers" sounds natural. We would say "teachers trained" only as part of a longer phrase, e.g. "teachers trained in any subject".

Experienced teachers could facilitate a language learning.
Teachers experienced could facilitate a language learning.
See above. The second one sounds completely unnatural. But we could say "teachers who are experienced" or "teachers experienced in...".

A cooperator wrote:
But, when seeing 'Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.", and thinking I can say 'experiencing sync (=sync which is experiencing problems' No, "experiencing sync" makes no sense. Experiencing what? ("problems" has been omitted).

I am concerned about I don't know if participles can be used attributively, postpositively, and predicatively or not.
Also, if they can be used like some ordinary adjectives, then what difference would be there in each pair of those sentences? I am sorry, I cannot give you any general rules. It depends on whether a native speaker thinks of the word as an adjective (a description) or a verb (an action or event). This is something you can only learn through practical experience of English.
Topic: 'leaking' is an adjectival participle or present continuous tense + an intransitive verb
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 9:49:26 PM
A cooperator wrote:
First, if you're going to be looking at the logic of being 'learning' and 'working' are gerunds used adjectivally in the following:
"Please sign me up to learning tips."
"The transfer of money from Webmoney to a bank account takes from 1 to 3 working days."

Then, you don't think that 'volunteering' in 'volunteering' is a gerund used adjectivally in "For example, we suggest to list all volunteering and extra-curricular activities that are related to your studies or professional development."? Yes, I think so. Volunteering activities and extra-curricular activities.

Final, having said 'a gerund used adjectivally', then what difference would be there when '-ing' word used as an adjectival participle and when a gerund used adjectivally? "Volunteering students" means students who volunteer, so 'volunteering' is an adjectival participle there. But "volunteering activities" means activities related to volunteering (not activities which volunteer), so 'volunteering' is a gerund used adjectivally there.
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:33:13 PM
lumber
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 7:30:32 AM
fanatic
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 9:11:19 PM
dumbness
Topic: Say It Differently Game
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 7:50:17 AM
It's really been all go in the last few weeks.

Please keep off the grass and do not feed the crocodiles.
Topic: double consonant game.
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 7:44:15 AM
epiphenomenalism
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 8:47:46 AM
obsessed