Interests: Language, philosophy, music
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5,909
[0.61% of all post / 1.95 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: State The Obvious or A Contradiction in Terms
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 10:14:55 AM
Mathematicians have proved that every number is equal to itself.
Topic: Say It Differently Game
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 9:52:32 PM
They say it's absolutely fantastic to be there.

Sometimes a comma can make all the difference.
Topic: Does it make sense?
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 8:25:42 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
They made a fool of Mr.B, of whom my friend is a servant. But only a few people would do it of one of whom I am. (because I protect my employer so well).

It took me a while to work out your meaning, but I think you mean the following:

But only a few people would make a fool of someone whom I serve. (My friend allows many people to make a fool of his employer, but I do not allow many people to make a fool of mine.)

Your version is very confusing because of the shortage of nouns:

But only a few people would do it [i.e. make a fool] of one [i.e. a person] of whom I am [a servant].
Topic: Poem game.
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:31:36 PM
A king surveyed his palace,
Attended by his Fool,
And placed a golden chalice
Upon a marble stool.
He asked: "Are all these riches
A blessing or a curse?
Am I beset by witches,
Or something even worse?"

The jester apprehended
The need to soothe his nerves:
"An edifice so splendid
Is what my liege deserves!
The townsman and the peasant
Know not the monarch's cares;
Their work, though not too pleasant,
Is free of state affairs".

The king's misgivings were assuaged.
"A wise reply, forsooth!"
The jester had correctly gauged
His double-sided truth.
The palace, with its huge extent,
Drained royal funds away.
Divine reward, or punishment?
The Fool would never say.

Next: SONG
Topic: FIRST AND LAST LETTERS COMES IN UPCOMING WORDS
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 10:06:13 PM
betting
Topic: Concepts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 7:28:45 AM
'Concepts' are things you can think about ('conceive') that are not physical. ('Concepts' and 'ideas' mean the same thing in this context.) All abstract nouns are concepts.

Note that many abstract nouns are countable, e.g. question, answer, result, problem, difference, cause, fact (as well as idea and concept).
Topic: verbs meaning 'to get better'(intransitive) and 'to make something better'(transitive)
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 9:58:14 PM
The intransitive 'wink' (in its literal sense) means specifically to close and open an eye:

He winked at me.
He closed and opened an eye at me.
He closed and opened at me.

"An eye" cannot be omitted from the definition.
Topic: 'leaking' is an adjectival participle or present continuous tense + an intransitive verb
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 9:38:16 PM
I am sorry, I cannot spend any more time on this thread. I will leave it to others to answer if they wish.
Topic: 'recurring billing/leaking plumbing/escaped lion' NOT 'recurred billing/leaked plumbing/escaping lio
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 9:16:10 PM
A cooperator wrote:
First, the translation of 'instantaneous' means occuring or done in an instant or instantly'. Yes.
So, I am thinking of 'instantaneous' and 'continuous' as the same - the action is continuous. But if it is done in an instant, it does not continue, so it is not 'continuous'.

'Escaping' can be thought of either as a single (instantaneous) event, or as an action that takes some time – maybe seconds or minutes, or even longer. For example, if a prisoner is on top of a prison wall, or part of the way through an escape tunnel, we can say that he/she has begun his/her escape but not yet completed it. So if we wish to refer to a particular moment during the escape process, we can say "is/was escaping".

Shooting (in the sense of 'hitting with a bullet fired from a gun'), however, takes only a tiny fraction of a second. It is far too short a time for anything to happen during it. So we would not say "is/was being shot".
Topic: 'recurring billing/leaking plumbing/escaped lion' NOT 'recurred billing/leaked plumbing/escaping lio
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 9:58:33 AM
A cooperator wrote:
Yes, but even "escaping" is obviously instantaneous due to occurring or done in an instant or instantly(it's a continuous event).

It cannot be both instantaneous and continuous. That is a contradiction.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.