The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: leonAzul
About
User Name: leonAzul
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation: musician, computer consultant
Interests: reading, bicycling, taijiquan
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Thursday, August 11, 2011
Last Visit: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:13:06 PM
Number of Posts: 7,848
[0.97% of all post / 3.77 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Pictures of blue
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 6:08:47 AM


Silhouette in Blue on Flickr

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Scientific Answers From A Creationist Perspective
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 4:38:31 PM
Dreamy wrote:

There is no neutral ground for the Bible-believing Christian who cannot accept a chance event created the Universe and accidently began a chaotic, random, and meaningless circus of millions of years of mutations and death before the "man kind" was eventually acheived without this being purposed.


Are you really that ignorant about the *hic* Bibulous *hic* ?

Do you not understand why that entire first book was called "Genesis", as in origins, as in the superstitious roots of the more sophisticated and intelligent people who subsequently self-identified as Israelites? Have you not read this book?

Because it appears that you are completely ignorant of what is in it and how it came to be written!

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee slams UK and US net plans
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 2:21:10 PM
Hope123 wrote:
But if your ISP sells you out, there is not much you can do. So far in Canada ISPs have to ask permission.

They are in it for the money. If you withdraw your custom, they shall pay attention.

Hope123 wrote:

There is nothing on my iPad and even less on my iPhone that would matter if anybody got ahold of them. My theory is to never put anything sensitive in writing and if it is really sensitive, talk in person. I never have anything that sensitive. 😀

Self censorship is self defeating. The point is not to control what you think, feel, or say, but rather to control with whom these are shared. ;)

Hope123 wrote:
My husband has done his banking online for many years now and would hate to give that up.

Because of my gypsy itinerant ways, I too have relied on remote banking, going back to 90s and secure dial-up connections. There is no doubt that this technology is empowering, yet one needs to be aware that it does not remove the need for caution. In other words, computerized transactions are not inherently worse than face to face transactions; the computerized versions only multiply the potential risks that naturally occur in life. This has been going on since before the telegraph; there's a reason why transactions over the telephone were once considered "phony".

Think

Hope123 wrote:

If people become afraid it could certainly damage online business or at least give it a setback, right?


Bingo! This is why, for the moment, on-line transactions are more secure than telephone or even point-of-sale (POS) credit card transactions.

Hope123 wrote:

When you say deal with reputable companies, that would not stop hackers etc from breaking in to the reputable company and being able to break encryption, right? How is that any different from how hackers get your personal info now?

This is why I really take umbrage with the current use of the word "hacker".

A "hack" is merely a way to use something in a way for which it was not originally intended. Its etymology goes back to drivers who work for hire, aka taxis. They were the ones who got things done when regular transport was not available, or perhaps unadvisable.

Someone who forcibly breaks into and violates a person or thing is more properly described as a "rapist" or "burglar". The English language has pre-existing words for this; why can't we just agree to use them?

Hope123 wrote:

I would have said either state or corporation, as a cult is usually much smaller. However, that was before November 8, 2016 and since. (That has changed my viewpoint, even about history.) A cult can create a state. TFD - cult - Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

There are so many examples that I would prefer to limit my comment to these few during the 20th century.

It was a cultist who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand, the casus belli of the Great War.

It was a cultist who instigated WWII.

There are more examples, but I believe y'all catch my drift.

Hope123 wrote:

Why would the FCC give up its role with domains when it knows how China operates?


Ask President Друмпф !

Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee slams UK and US net plans
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 1:06:00 PM
OnTheVerge wrote:

True: It's the people they are taught by like Fox & Breitbart & Russia and YES the USA


I have a minor quibble with this comment: I make a distinction between becoming educated and becoming informed.

The information is out there to be gleaned. It requires bias to select which information is meaningful. The best bias is acquired through experience, yet it doesn't take much thought to understand that experience can be facilitated by the preparation afforded by education. Especially in a forum dedicated to "Science and Technology", the role of education ought to be appreciated. If this were a forum dedicated to "Religion and Philosophy", I might even assert that education would be sacrosanct.

Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee slams UK and US net plans
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 3:17:39 AM
Hope123 wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39490324

Trump signed the repeal of privacy law today, the one we discussed in another thread. Some were hoping he would stick up for the ordinary person and not the business interests but he didn't.



The connection here is that Trump favors the interests of business over the individual – no surprise there – and Berners-Lee observed that corporate interests are ironically destroying the notion of voluntary exchange and the trust which is the very fabric of the internet, not to mention free enterprise itself.

1) We’ve lost control of our personal data

At this time, opting out is still an option.
     A) Please establish accounts with only several banks, credit lenders, vendors, etc. who seem to be trustworthy, then monitor their behavior. Anyone who violates your trust loses your custom.
     B) Anyone who demands that you create an account (with exceptions) loses your custom. The exceptions include transaction assurance services like PayPal, in which case see point A)

2) It’s too easy for misinformation to spread on the web

With all due respect, MR B-L, this is not a bug, it's a feature. Chan4 is not the scourge, but rather the apotheosis of the Luciferian WorldWideWeb in which individuals are bringers of light. Freedom to speak the truth is only possible with freedom to fantasize, as well as freedom to expose one's arse. Respectful persons shall choose the appropriate emporia for such exhibitions. Tender spirits shall keep their distance from Chan4. ;)

     Yet I emphatically agree that the emergence of infotainment™ as the cynically 'normal' resource of news gives me pause. This is underscored by several attempts to characterize both Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert as 'journalists' even though each has vociferously rejected such a claim, but rather each has considered himself an entertaining satirist.

Faux News indeed.
Think

3) Political advertising online needs transparency and understanding

Translation: Our kids need education that gives them the basic skills to think critically and behave responsibly within a social and political context: reading, writing, and arithmetic. Mastery of Analysis, Poetry, and Mathematics is derived from mastery of these fundamental skills.
Full. Stop.
No advertising and no propaganda has a determinant effect unless the recipients have been carefully taught.

Otherwise, the overall trend is emerging as something even more ominous than either TB-L nor DJT has publicly admitted. The US FCC has hinted at a general policy of abdicating its role as supervisor of domain name registries in favor of a more "collaborative" role. This is one instance where the concept of the USA as a 'beacon of freedom' might actually be accurate. China, in particular, is eager to extend hegemony over what is or is not acceptable and open for official examination as transmitted via any medium, including the internet.

Question:

Which is more fearsome: a state, a corporation, or a cult?
Think


"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee slams UK and US net plans
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 8:32:03 PM
Before I respond, I would like to add a link to the actual open letter as Tim Lee published it in several languages.

http://webfoundation.org/2017/03/web-turns-28-letter/

I believe this would facilitate keeping on-topic. This is a very broad, nuanced, and dynamic area of discussion, and I fear we would be just spinning our wheels if there weren't some focus.

Angel

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: What is a SANCTUARY CITY? (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:57:18 PM
progpen wrote:
Local police are not immigration officials.


Full. Stop.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Scientific Answers From A Creationist Perspective
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:46:46 PM
Lotje1000 wrote:
Dreamy wrote:
To continue I reiterate this from my OP:

Quote:
Presuppositions vastly affect our interpretation of evidence. The problem (for the secular scientist) is that science itself is based on Christian presuppositions. Science is possible because God upholds the universe in a logical, orderly way and because God made our minds able to think and reason logically.



Seeing as you are keen to go back to the presuppositions, I suppose we must address your presupposition that science is based on Christian presuppositions. And your presupposition that science is possible because God upholds the universe.

Maybe when you can move on from your unfounded presuppositions to provide some actual evidence, we can discuss this matter.


Sir Isaac Newton addressed this nonsense. Inertia is an inherent property of matter that does not require some Devine intervention in order to work.

It happens.

If the details of how it happens overwhelm your comprehension, then a Divine Operator might be useful in your life.

I prefer reality.

This is not to say that faith is not important; of course it is! Yet one needs to be careful about where and in which one places one's faith.

Think

Sorry, I misquoted; my response was intended @Dreamy 8^/

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Is Angling a Bloodsport?
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:20:39 PM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Beautiful line by some writer;

My dinner plate won't let me go vegetarian.
meaning thereby that if I see the slaughtering of an animal, I will go veg.

Your opinion please?


Everything ahimsa, with grace and respect.

There are times when I am predator, and times when I am prey. It is what it is.

The name that can be named is not the endless name.

The course that can be run to completion is not the infinite course.

Because we ourselves are not trustworthy we place our trust in gods…

all others need to pay in cash

Think

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: Is Angling a Bloodsport?
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 1:10:44 PM
Is the lion less a noble beast because she eats a ram?

We are omnivores. We eat meat and vegetables. Get used to it!

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.