[0.96% of all post / 3.61 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: the provenance of
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:20:29 PM
azz wrote:
Thank you both so much.

Bad choice of words I guess.

How about
a1. I received letters which I did not know the source of.
b1. I received letters of which I did not know the source.
c1. I received letters that I did not know the source of.
d1. I received letters whose source I did not know.

?

Donthailand's sentence is very elegant, but I am exploring the construct where there is a possessive.

These are all correct and can be considered to mean the same thing.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Topic: dash
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:05:23 PM
D00M wrote:
Thank you.

What about this?

The word non and diary hyphenate, so it is 'non-diary'.

Is the above a grammatical and natural sentence?

The correct usage would be: The word "non-dairy" is hyphenated.

The point of using a hyphen is to compose a single word from two or more words or fragments.

Topic: Is the second paragraph correctly punctuated?
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:58:32 PM
Audiendus wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:
It said in a Facebook post on Tuesday (Sep 19) that the motion, titled "Counting from President Wee Kim Wee or President Ong Teng Cheong - policy decision or legal question?" has been filed for the Oct 2 Parliament sitting.

A second comma is needed, between the end of the quote and "has been filed".

I disagree. This is not a quote. It is the title of an article, so no comma is needed.

Even if it were a quotation, because it already has punctuation within the closing quotation mark, additional punctuation would be frowned upon, especially in the USA.

Even though it functions as an appositive to 'motion', double punctuation would still look odd and many editors would remove the first comma and change the participle like this: 'the motion entitled'.

Topic: Where do racists learn racism from?
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:30:15 PM
You've Got to Be Carefully Taught

Topic: Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" Airs/Canadians-Why Do Women Treat Other Women "That" Way?
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:07:56 AM
Hope123 wrote:
https://www.inverse.com/article/20494-which-atwood-novel-tv-show-next

Leon,

This article was written in Sept 2016.

They haven't made a movie or series of the "Blind Assassin" yet, have they?

Not that I know of. It wouldn't be easy to translate to another medium.

It will be interesting to see how Alias Grace works out. I hope they don't water it down.

My first choice would be a feature-length version of Surfacing, directed by David Lynch. 8^)

Topic: Trump thinks the Internet needs to be shut down, and Scotland Yard is incompetent.
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 11:16:16 PM
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Topic: Trump thinks the Internet needs to be shut down, and Scotland Yard is incompetent.
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 7:39:13 PM
Romany wrote:

Anyone who has brought up children recognises these tactics immediately!Dancing

And this is why the troll needs to sent to bed without supper: please don't feed it any more ;-)

Topic: Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" Airs/Canadians-Why Do Women Treat Other Women "That" Way?
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 5:51:54 PM
But I digress.

I still haven't seen this production; I'll just have to wait for the DVD, or maybe work something out through Amazon.

Meanwhile, if you haven't already had the pleasure, I think you would appreciate The Blind Assassin very much.

Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 5:14:03 PM
Hope123 wrote:
Leon,

But she could do it from a phone when it is on WiFi? Just like I do from the iPad?

I've never tried to do anything on my hand-me-down iPhone except phone, look at the calendar, and play bridge. It is so old (iPhone 4) it doesn't sync with our other Apple products but I only need it for emergencies and sitting in the doctor's office to play Bridge Baron. 😀

😀

It's easier to do with some phones than others, but if the phone can load the page and copy and paste, then it can be done, even over cellular data networks.

Yet now that I recall, iOS didn't have a proper copy/paste command until version 3 or 4?
Think

iPhone OS 3 is the third major release of the iOS mobile operating system developed by Apple Inc., being the successor to iPhone OS 2. It was announced on March 17, 2009, and was released on June 17, 2009. It was succeeded by iOS 4 on June 21, 2010; the new version dropped the "iPhone OS" naming convention.[1]

iPhone OS 3 added a system-wide "cut, copy, or paste" dialog bubble, allowing users to more easily move content. It also introduced Spotlight, a search indexing feature designed to help users locate specific information on their device, such as contacts, email messages or apps. The home screen was expanded to let users add up to 11 pages, showcasing a total of 180 apps. The Messages app received support for MMS, while the Camera app received support for video recording on iPhone 3GS, and a new "Voice Memos" app let users record their voice.

Topic: chuck
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 4:25:24 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
leonAzul wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

Yes Romany it is quite common in parts of the South, another word that is sometimes used is treacle.

Ain't that sweet!
Whistle

I think it's Cockney slang treacle tart = sweetheart.

Ah, now I see, you certainly wouldn't want to get your treacle mixed up with raspberries.
Eh?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.