User Name: curmudgeonine
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 567
[0.06% of all post / 0.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Three Mile Island Accident (1979)
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:47:51 AM
The China Syndrome was the movie released two weeks before the incident. I remember it well.
Topic: Jessica Tandy
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:42:26 AM
I believe it was for "Driving Miss Daisy", from memory
Topic: Porgy and Bess
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 8:54:17 AM
"In The Summertime" is one of the most popular cover songs ever.

And Dialectrum - I've only ever heard it pronounced as PorGee, not with a soft G.
Topic: Walter Cronkite (1916)
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:32:45 AM
He lost composure when announcing the assassination of JFK
Topic: Stradivarius
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 8:22:44 AM
It was sold by the Nippon Music Foundation in aid of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami appeal.
Topic: Quebec's Pierre Laporte Kidnapped (1970)
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 9:48:52 AM
I remember this so well. I was only 13 at the time. Pierre Laporte was murdered. Cross was held captive and later released. Terrible time in Canadian history.
Topic: Jimmy Carter (1924)
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:30:42 AM
2007 saw Carter win a Grammy for Best Spoken Word album
Topic: The Honeymooners Premiers on CBS (1955)
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:27:22 AM
The Flintstones
Topic: Windsor Castle
Posted: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:26:28 AM
On 20 November 1992, a major fire occurred at Windsor Castle, lasting for fifteen hours and causing widespread damage to the Upper Ward.[218] The Private Chapel in the north-east corner of the State Apartments was being renovated as part of a long term programme of work within the castle, and it is believed that one of the spotlights being used in the work set fire to a curtain by the altar during the morning.[219] The fire spread quickly and destroyed nine of the principal state rooms, and severely damaged over a hundred more.[219] Fire-fighters applied water to contain the blaze, whilst castle staff attempted to rescue the precious artworks from the castle.
Topic: Devils Tower Named First US National Monument (1906)
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:23:11 AM
Climbers abstain from climbing in June out of respect: The Tower is sacred to several Native American Plains tribes, including the Lakota Sioux, Cheyenne and Kiowa. Because of this, many Indian leaders objected to climbers ascending the monument, considering this to be a desecration. The climbers argued that they had a right to climb the Tower, since it is on federal land. A compromise was eventually reached with a voluntary climbing ban during the month of June when the tribes are conducting ceremonies around the monument. Climbers are asked, but not required, to stay off the Tower in June. According to the PBS documentary In the Light of Reverence, approximately 85% of climbers honor the ban and voluntarily choose not to climb the Tower during the month of June. However, several climbers along with the Mountain States Legal Foundation sued the Park Service, claiming an inappropriate government entanglement with religion.[24]

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.