User Name: munro66
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 47
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The Phonograph Cylinder
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:01:46 AM
I ofen wonder what great inventors of the past if they were back with us today would make of all what has been invented since their marvellous ideas back like in the case of Thomas Edison in 1877. Another such person is Isambard Kingdom Brunel of railway enginnering, suspension bridge [Bristol England] and shipbuilding fame [ss Great Britain Bristol England] to be able to consult with this person today a lot of problems which seem to plaque our roads and rail network would be eliminated should we have been able to put into effect his recommendations.

Three cheers for all inventors especially if they bring about items that are for the good of persons throughout the world

'From little acorns, mighty trees grow'
Topic: Fluid ounces vs. floral ounces? I've heard the latter, but the former appears to be correct...?
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:44:05 PM

I do not recognise 'floral' as a measurement but I do recognise 'fluid' and reference to my version of Concise Oxford Dictionary informs the following

fluid ounce Brit a unit of capacity equal to one-twentieth of a pint [approx 0.028 litre]

US a unit of capacity equal to one-sixteenth of a pint [approx 0.034 litre]

The Free Dictionary [this website] Wikipedia enter fluid ounce
Topic: down the pub
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:18:19 AM
When it comes to travelling and taking the United Kingdom as an example, if we were going to travel to Scotland would say " We are going up to Scotland" and if we were to visit Cornwall would say "We are going down to Cornwall"

Using the word 'down' for going to Scotland would be entirely out of context and so would 'up' for going to Cornwall.

If we were to travel to Wales, we would go across to Wales.
Visit Ireland, would go over to Ireland [as it would involve travel by boat or plane]

A more regular saying in this household

We also go down to the shops and go up on the hills.M
Topic: Pattens
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:46:40 AM
A very interesting article, which leaves a question - when a new line in footwear is 'launched' on the high street/market place, and there is much publicity given it,
i.e. type/height of heel,colour,material especially when it relates to female footwear
where fashion plays a important part, is the design actually new or was it around in the days of our ancestors and has come back under a different guise. "What comes round, comes round"
Topic: chow down on vs. chow down
Posted: Saturday, October 8, 2011 7:33:06 AM
The children ]
young people ] were consuming a large pizza
teenagers ]

I personally hate the word 'kids' when it comes to describing children/young people/teenagers.'kids' to me are young goats, or a word used for deceiving,tricking or a tub used by sailors for grog or rations.

In the USA is 'kids' the in-word for 'children' 'young people' 'teenagers?
My dictionary informs that it is slang for a child or young person.
Topic: Printer age.
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:45:50 AM
Substitute 'result' instead of results [in other words deleting the 's'] and it would read correct.
Topic: Correction please.
Posted: Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:01:14 AM
Unfortunately due to ever increasing commodity prices currently prevailing and in view of existing salary structure I cannot meet the expenses
Topic: Smokers' Kids Miss More School
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:37:28 PM
'When will they 'the parents' ever learn? When will they ever learn?

As someone with cancer,incurable but treatable,non related to smoking and incidentally have never smoked in my life, I would not wish this on anyone.
Topic: Knowledge and Pain
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:26:04 AM
FounDit, your interpretation wholeheartedly endorses the reply I would have given to that asked by Kaleem.There cannot be anyone who has not offered advice in one form or another. How disappointing to find that advice offered has been dismissed out of hand and the person has taken another route. It is stored in our minds and can cause us pain and anguish if the alternative route taken by the person to whom advice was offered turns out for the worse.

Topic: Germ-Laden Hospital Curtains Furnish More than Privacy
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 8:37:52 AM
The curtains at the oncology day unit of the hospital where I regularly receive treatment have attached to them a slip which gives a date, which I have glanced at in the past and found that it is a date not that far off, presumably used for monitoring when changing of the curtains is due. Also when I have been a inpatient and have been informed that I will be transferring from one ward to another or from a isolation room to a general ward there is a period before the transfer during which the area to where I am going is prepared, with
cleaning procedures put into force, the area clear of bed and locker is thoroughly cleaned, the surround curtains are taken down and new ones put up. This procedure has been witnessed by myself when as a patient in a general ward. I have felt quite happy that such procedures have been always carried out.