User Name: floyd
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 137
[0.02% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people.
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:36:21 AM
Wait a minute. What was I thinking? d'oh!

I totally forgot all the shameful bludgeoning that Wilde experienced -- including gaol!

May I take back what I said about his views?

Sorry, friends,

floyd

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
Topic: Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people.
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:20:06 AM
Human nature being what it is, seems you can't have any government without bludgeoning, despicable as bludgeoning is. But isn't democracy still a big step ahead? It's the best I've seen.

Matter of fact, I think Oscar Wilde's views are pathetic. But, then, I've mentioned that before . . .

Keep the faith!

floyd

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
Topic: There is so much in the world for us all if we only have the eyes to see it, and the heart to love it, and the hand to gather...
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:41:32 PM
OK, Hope1, you've helped me see Lucy Maud differently. And how could I have thought that anyone named Lucy Maud be all bad. I'm from Kansas, which is similar in many ways and names to Canada, and I should have known better. So, thank you.

But FounDit, my friend, why does charity infuriate you so? If someone says that this is a good way to help to those who are starving, why shouldn't I give something? If you say, here's a good way to support people struggling for sustainable food production, I'll give something to that, too.

You say, FounDit, that: "All the wealthy societies of the Earth became so because of the effort to make it happen." I disagree. This country became wealthy because of its vast resources and its willingness to exploit them. Including, I think, our willingness to exploit slaves and slaughter Native Americans. China has had vast poverty for millennia -- have its people made less effort? I don't think you could show that.

I do feel sorry for the hungry and starving, and as I can, I will try to help them feed and clothe themselves. They are the poor waifs of our world -- helpless, ignorant, and I suspect they have no more faults than you and I.

That's it. I won't respond to your ugly sarcasm, except to ask that you please think about how much uncalled for your attack is. You act as if you're morally superior to someone like MTC, who is trying to do some small good works. If you are, you make it hard to see. You should think about apologizing to MTC, and think again before loosing your venom like this.

Peace,

floyd

Topic: There is so much in the world for us all if we only have the eyes to see it, and the heart to love it, and the hand to gather...
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:02:41 PM
Lucy Maud likes to talk tough, doesn't she?

But no Lucy Maud, gathering to ourselves doesn't work. Shame on you There is only "much in the world for us all" if we use our hands to give to others.

MTC, the "food for thought" is a fine idea. I'll send what I can.

In fact, if we all sent some free-rice money, we could fill more of those 925 million hungry mouths than any one of us alone.
Anybody want to try?

Thanks,

floyd

Topic: The world would do well to reflect, that injustice is in itself, to every generous and properly constituted mind, an injury,...
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:11:03 PM
Here's a little context for the quote. It's from "The Old Curiosity Shop":

"Let moralists and philosophers say what they may, it is very questionable whether a guilty man would have felt half as much misery that night, as Kit did, being innocent.

"The world, being in the constant commission of vast quantities of injustice, is a little too apt to comfort itself with the idea that if the victim of its falsehood and malice have a clear conscience, he cannot fail to be sustained under his trials, and somehow or other to come right at last; ‘in which case,’ say they who have hunted him down, ‘— though we certainly don’t expect it — nobody will be better pleased than we.’

Whereas, the world would do well to reflect, that injustice is in itself, to every generous and properly constituted mind, an injury, of all others the most insufferable, the most torturing, and the most hard to bear; and that many clear consciences have gone to their account elsewhere, and many sound hearts have broken, because of this very reason; the knowledge of their own deserts only aggravating their sufferings, and rendering them the less endurable."

Dickens was a man of great sympathy, and great love for his fellow humans. He conveyed that in everything of his that I've read.

What would he have thought about our secretly holding prisoners without a trial? About our government's use of secret prisons and torture? About our use of secret "extraordinary rendition" to facilitate torture?

Topic: Men regard it as their right to return evil for evil—and, if they cannot, feel they have lost their liberty.
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:07:36 AM
floccinaucinihilipilificatinator --

I had written about a page of comments, when I did something wrong and they disappeared. That has happened before, and it drives me nuts. So, here's one last try.

I spent a lot of years, too, being angry with the Christian church and with how the teachings of Jesus seemed to have been corrupted and even abandoned by many Christians. I even felt they were used to manipulate me and stifle my growth. As I realized that my anger was taking a toll on me, I started to work on it. I tried to separate Jesus' teachings from what has been done to the Christian church by people who seem like charlatans, hypocrites, deceivers, power mongers, and whatever.

I have come to some peace with that. I have recently read books by two of the wisest people I know of: (1) The Jefferson Bible which is Thomas Jefferson's attempt at separating what Jesus taught from what his followers tried to make of it. (2) Stephen Mitchell does a similar thing in The Gospel According to Jesus. If they're available in Germany, you should try reading them and see what you think.

Buddha and Jesus and others have spoken a lot of truth over the millennia. I don't want to throw it out because of what others have done as their teachings became religions. I think Jesus' teachings have made a difference for good in our society; I just don't know how to weigh that agains the evil that has been done in his name.

So I'm going to keep up the meditation that Buddhist taught (not the Buddhist religion!), and keep reading and thinking about what Jesus taught and what has been done with it.

Finally, I saw that you're in Germany. My father's family came from Germany to the U.S. in the 1870's. I loved Dietrich Banhoeffer's 2010 biography by Eric Metaxas, which shows an admirable man fighting for Christian teachings in the face of true horrors.

If you've read any of these books, or read them in the future, I would appreciate hearing what you think of them.

It has been good to "talk" with you.

floyd

Topic: Men regard it as their right to return evil for evil—and, if they cannot, feel they have lost their liberty.
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 6:22:21 PM
floccinaucinihilipilificatinator --

I'm actually not a Christian or a jew. From what we know, though, it seems that Jesus did a pretty good job of teaching and living both lovingkindness and mercy. So did Buddha, for that matter.

Many Christians, including some of Jesus' earliest followers, have not done a good job at all of living lovingkindness and mercy. Maybe that's why your thoughts seem so bitter. If it is, maybe I can understand.

Take care,

floyd

Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 12:57:27 PM
I like Jesus' take on it a lot better.

floyd

Topic: One of our first amusements as children (if we have any imagination at all) is to get out of our own characters, and to try...
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 1:17:41 PM
Collins is cool. If you haven't read The Moonstone, give it a try. It was apparently the first detective story, and it's a good read.

And don't be too hard on the guy for his Victorian language. If the fairies and queens make you sexually uneasy, toss them out, and see if the rest doesn't ring true:

"One of our first amusements as children (if we have any imagination at all) is to get out of our own characters, and to try the characters of other personages as a change . . . to be anything, in short, but what we really are."

I agree with you, LadyRose. Applause I love to try other characters as I read. It's a great way to learn.

Peace and love,

floyd

Topic: The man who is not loved hovers like a vulture over the sweetheart of others.
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 9:33:51 AM
Or maybe like a hunchback.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.