Number of Posts: 621
[0.07% of all post / 0.22 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Picture association
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:37:39 PM
Topic: "The Origin of Consciousness..." A Stuctured Book Discussion
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:30:43 PM
Epiphileon wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by playing fair; however, to use the word "sister" would imply a close relationship to that thread, I do not see one as existing, no one in that thread attempted to use Jaynes notions to support a position within the issue of the age of consciousness. Now if in your, or others usage, the thread that was discussing animal consciousness were considered a "sister" thread, then I would understand that usage; however, still think it implied to close of a relationship.

Strange?

One want hand you are promoting ideas about consciousness that are typical Jaynesian, but you feel insulted if someone calls you a jaynesian?

Then you ask B.Have not to interfere with the discussion about Recent Consciousness because she did not share the Jaynessian definition of consciousness of the OP, and then you deny that it is a jaynesian sisterthread?

It looks like your words are conflicting your deeds.

That is a typical identifying mark of someone with a hidden agenda, someone who does not want to reveal his true intentions.

Maybe this shines some light on it

The atheistic philosopher David Stone contributed the most interesting essay
in this volume, written with biting wit. He admits that most of what Jaynes wrote
is "incredible" but says that at least Jayne's treatment of religion is a treasure
(Kuijsten, 2006, pp. 277-289). Jaynes tackles the real problem. which is,
according to Stone, "Why should almost all human history be a tale, (in Jayne's
words), of 'the slow withdrawing tide of divine voices and presences', and of
ever-renewed attempts, through prophets or poetry or peyote or whatever, to
establish contact with 'a lost ocean of authority"' (Jaynes, 1976, p. 320). Stone
admires Jaynes for the facts, unique in a theorist of religion, that Jaynes sees
the real problem: he is refreshingly free from Enlightenment superciliousness
[how unlike many of our current crop of militant atheists!

Book Reviews Reflections on the Dawn of Consciousness

Could it be that your real goal here is not promoting the ideas of Julian James, but only promoting atheism with the help of a jaynesian definition of consciousness?

Its just a question.
Topic: Pictures of Grey
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:41:06 PM
Topic: "The Origin of Consciousness..." A Stuctured Book Discussion
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:10:09 PM
I jumped over the Recent Consciousness Topic and noticed that B. Have not at all mentioned Jaynes or this topic in her first posts. It was Epiphileon who connected that new topic to this one.

Epiphileon wrote:
Well Ms. that is certainly one possible definition of consciousness; however, a number of discussions of the type of consciousness I am talking about have been going on on this forum for quite some time. We have also spent a great deal of time discussing the various possible definitions of consciousness. The definition of consciousness that we are using......

After that it was RubyMoon who first mentioned Jaynes. And then again Epiphileon referred to this Jaynes thread and asked B. Have politely not to disturb the discussion with another opinion about consciousness.

Epiphileon wrote:
I am not going to get into a senseless battle of select quotes with you, nor debate you in any manner on this issue. There are a sufficient number of people who frequent this forum, who are in sufficient agreement on the issue, to hold what we consider constructive dialog on the issue. As you view our position as nonsensical I trust that you are a sufficiently polite person as to not disrupt our dialogs with unwarranted insults, or your opinion that our discussion is invalid. Have a nice day.

Romany supported Epiphileon and also said that only those who took part in the Jaynes study and shared the same ideas about what consciousness should discus their opinions in that new topic.

Romany wrote:
......so I suggest you go and read all the background and history to this particular one. While of course everyone's opinion is valid, you might realise that the kinds of things you are adding here have already been put forward, disputed, discussed, re-constructed as people tried, collectively, to come to a workable understanding on what the discussion actually encompasses. It's been a group effort that is understood, now, by everyone in the group.

I think some people are not playing fair if they deny here that "Recent Consciousness" was or is not a sister thread of this one.

Topic: Pictures of Grey
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 12:11:37 PM

Topic: A collection of costumes
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:35:32 AM
Topic: Picture association
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:32:31 AM
Topic: Picture Association, Part 2
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:27:19 AM
Topic: Change Two Letters game
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 5:01:47 AM
hello Anxious
Topic: Word Chains
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 2:46:23 PM
Lemma frequency

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.