User Name: Yakcal
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 583
[0.06% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Do You Know About Woolly Mammoth?(20)
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 11:23:44 AM

I think that if the possibility exists to resurrect such a great animal that we should go ahead and do it!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde
Topic: bow-wow against woof-woof
Posted: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:34:46 AM
To me, bow wow has always been the sound a smaller dog or a less angry dog makes.

Woof woof is the sound that has a little more anger or fear behind it and is from a larger dog.

I own two pugs and pugs have an accent and they say barf, barf!

Topic: Can "guy" refer to females, too?
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:07:05 AM
Here in the US it's been used like that for quite a while. I have, recently, heard a woman address a group of women and say, 'Where do you guys want to go from here?'

But having grown up in a southern US family I still think that our 'y'all' still fits best when addressing a group/crowd. It does, however, give away the regional dialect you grew up with. And that goes even farther and is more encompassing when you attach the extra inclusionary clause and it becomes 'all y'all'!

Topic: Program vs programme
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 10:51:03 AM
Yeah, in the USA we seem to do a bit of whittling down of words and rearrangement of letters within words.

Centre becomes center, pointe has lost the silent 'e', and so on.

I like the way some of the words looks when spelled by our cousins, but I'm in the minority.

Topic: Knowledge?
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:02:22 AM
Hi Paul,

I can tell you this. I worked for many years on an ambulance while I was quite young (starting a few days after graduating from high school). As you may imagine, there were a lot of emotions involved in that line of work. I had to teach myself to stay calm and objective while caring for people that were in all states of disorder. No one can really teach one about how to handle those sorts of emotions.

I wound up learning to adjust my mind to recognize that, while I was at work, all that existed in the world were cops, firemen, doctors, nurses, and patients (victims). And it was my job to take care of the 'patient' and that anything could happen to a 'patient' and all I had to do was to keep the 'patient' alive until we made it to the emergency room. Anything could happen to a 'patient' because that wasn't a real 'person', that was a 'patient'. I couldn't have kept that sort of thing up if I had to see the patient as a real person.

But the real trick was to learn to be able to go back to the way I was before and be able to think about the people around me as people once I wasn't at work. If I hadn't been able to do that, then I would have become cold and distant and it would have been really hard to able to connect with people that I loved and cared for.

So I was able to teach myself to use logic and reason to overcome quite natural emotions that one would experience in such a heavily emotional job as a rescue-worker/EMT.

I hope this helps, Paul.

Topic: New word for advanced learners
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:36:02 AM

Oscar Wilde was a genius way, way ahead of his time. I wish he were around now.

Topic: What is your favourite cake?
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:10:23 AM

Pineapple upside-down cake. The best.

Topic: NOUN becomes a VERB
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 10:25:26 AM

My favorite noun as a verb is 'Google'.

Topic: I distrust Great Men. They produce a desert of uniformity around them and often a pool of blood too, and I always feel a...
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:39:21 AM
This is my first time seeing the word 'cropper' used with that meaning in a sentence. I had no idea what it meant and had to look it up.

Topic: Meaning of this expression
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 9:50:55 AM
If you believe that you can do a certain thing (like jumping across a small ditch with water in it) but your fear is telling you that you might not make it if you try, then to listen to your fear and ignore your reason, which assures you that you can make that little jump, you are not applying the insight that reason gave you.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.