Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 369
[0.04% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Prescriptive vs Descriptive
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 4:46:10 AM
Dear Colleagues.
May you kindly explain me the difference between prescriptive and descriptive in the following sentence.

Capitalism began as a theory about how the economy functions. It was both prescriptive and descriptive--it offered an account of how money worked and promoted the idea that investing profits in production leads to fast economic growth.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Topic: Did the answer cut it ?
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:35:06 AM
Dear Forum Members.
May you kindly explain me " Did the answer cut it" phrase in the following text:

Mahira: It wasn't difficult to make it. The man who made it, he's made two previous films, Khuda Ke Liye, which again was a brilliant film but touched on very sensitive topics, whether it was religion or politics or how we treat women in our society. All of that was touched upon in KKL. Then he came out with Bol, which touched on even more sensitive issues. And now he's made Verna. The making of it with a man like Shoaib Mansoor was not difficult because that's what he does.

Did the answer cut it? The question was simple: was Verna a simple film to make and did she think there was an audience for films like it? Mahira should have resisted the impulse to lavish praise on Shoaib Mansoor and instead speak about the ease or difficulty of her work in the film and comment on whether audiences take well to taboo subjects like rape. She could have pointed out, for instance, that TV serials with themes of child sexual abuse or honour killings have enjoyed high ratings, which indicates an appetite for serious subject matter.

Topic: Nuclear Option in Senate
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 3:09:48 AM
Thank you so much for such a great explanation.

Topic: Nuclear Option in Senate
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 2:03:40 AM
Dear Forum Members.
May someone kindly explains in simple words with example the political term NUCLEAR OPTION IN SENATE. The Republican does not have 60 votes in the Senate to pass the federal budget and now the govt is considering the NUCLEAR OPTION to bypass the required majority in the Senate to do the needful.
I went through many articles but they could clear my concept.
Thank you for always help.

Topic: As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities.
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 2:12:38 AM
Dear Colleagues.

I do not understand the quotation.
May you kindly explain it.

Thank you so much for your always help.

Topic: Umlaut
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 3:48:55 AM
Dear respected forum membees.
May you kindly explain me " metal umlaut" with examplea .Is it used where a letter may be stressed upon or else.
Thanks

Topic: incentivising inappropriate use
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:00:18 PM
Thank you so much.

Topic: incentivising inappropriate use
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:06:26 AM
Dear Forum members.
May you kindly explain " incentivising inappropriate use".
I read it many times in different newspapers which is regarding contraceptive medicine.
Kindly elaborate this specific phrase.
Thank you so much.

Topic: Friend
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 5:18:58 PM
May you kindly explain me the following:

The friend who holds your hand and says the wrong thing is made of dearer stuff than the one who stays away.

Thanks

Topic: Political Narrative
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:33:01 AM
Dear Forum Members.
May you kindly explain me the term Political narrative as used in the below sentence:

This victimization of the victim, a political strategy the BJP has near-perfected, helps them to keep control of the political narrative and also consolidate its support base at the cost of social peace and cohesion.

Thank you so much.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.