Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 376
[0.05% of all post / 0.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Winter Solstice/Makara Sankranti
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:08:26 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies and good wishes.

The link in my post explains the connection between winter solstice and sankranti. It is amazing to see how same things transform across continents. I read about Yule-log in a blog last year and since then was wondering about why does it sound so familiar! :D

Hope1, winter temperatures in India vary between -40 to 30 degree Celsius. There are regions where it is snowing heavily and then there are places where people do not need even sweaters. Currently, I am in between these two extremes, enjoying lazy sunny afternoons cracking roasted peanuts and sipping ginger tea.

Jeech, I expect that you will understand the gravity of the difference between my name and the one that you have typed, since you belong to Indian subcontinent. I had a good cheer imagining myself as a bald woman!
Topic: Winter Solstice/Makara Sankranti
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:20:06 AM
Finding two small black dots in my glass of water startled me this morning as I was waking up to my mom's hot cup of tea. Those dots were actually black sesame seeds put in the water. Sesame is an important element of the festival that we have here today.

Makara Sankranti is being celebrated across India today which is observed as the beginning of Sun’s northward journey. More information about Makara Sankranti is available here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti

It was a pleasant surprise to find out that it is celebrated across the globe, though in a different form and at a different time as winter solstice.

In India, we mark the occasion with holy baths, giving away khichri (rice, lentil and turmeric) and sesame sweets (til laddoo).

Kite flying is also a tradition of the day.

Today’s sankranti is especially important and auspicious since this celebration of Sun has fallen on a Sunday. Astrologers say that it is the best occasion for new beginnings and new projects, and endeavors would bear fruit.

I extend my best wishes for everyone. May all your desires, dreams, wishes, thoughts, goals be fulfilled.

Angel
Topic: India
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 9:40:59 AM
Romany, your memories brought smiles here! Applause

Sri, my thoughts exactly! Yes, I meant to say 'Atithi Devo Bhavah'. :)

Jeech, oh dear! Perhaps you were hit where it hurts the most!! You could certainly find a friend from any country provided you kept your political views(read controversies) and your friendship in separate sections. Friendship does not mean that your friend has to agree on everything you think or say. Of course both of you should respect each other's views. A good and healthy discussion should lead to a stronger understanding and bonding rather than breaking up bonds.

Perci is absolutely right. Aren't we perched on two different branches of the same stock?

EDIT: Oops! Rusty, it seems i was composing my small post at the same time you were writing your long post.
Topic: ये गुलिस्तान हमारा....
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:19:42 AM
Thanks Ludic, I am fine. :)
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:13:09 AM
Thanks Hope1.

Perci,
Your memoirs remind me of a Moroccan woman who lives in France. She is a friend of a relative and recently visited us in Varanasi during a wedding. I was given the job of talking to her and explaining various rituals. I was also the translator for her as well as women in my family who wanted to communicate with her. She stayed with us during the entire wedding and we discussed so many things at length. I was wondering the whole time what makes this wedding, this place, this country so interesting to her. How is she able to feel so comfortable in a strange place full of strangers?

I realized she was comfortable because we are at the best of our behavior when we are facing someone from a foreign land. Angel
And she was interested in knowing more and more about India because... well India is interesting.

Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 8:06:43 AM
Rusty:
Kudos for starting a great thread. I would love to read more opinions because it sure brings a smile when I see my own habitat from someone else's eyes (I mean the brighter topics). Though, it is quite painful to read something negative about India and not being able to completely deny it. Good or bad, this is my country, and I love her.

percivalpecksniff said:
You have to live with folk to understand what drives them, and why they do things. You cannot use the standard, whatever that may be in your own country, to judge.

Exactly, people behave differently because their circumstances are different.

These days, I am visiting relatives and going to all different kinds of places-- urban, rural, rich and poor--- and I am overwhelmed to see so many types of lifestyles in the same family. I find so many practices which look disgusting to me, but to someone, that might be their way of living. I know they might similarly find some of my habits silly. But neither am I going to stop them from living their lives in their own ways, nor are they asking me to behave like them.

I hope everyone thinks like you do, that will solve so many problems.
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 7:11:27 AM
Hey Congratulations Ludic. Applause
Topic: Merry Christmas, Happy New Year
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 7:02:13 AM
Thanks Thar, I was looking for a thread to wish you all. A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone. :)
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011 8:42:28 AM
बेहद मसरूफ हूँ, पर जब-तब पुरानी किताबों के पन्ने पलटने से बाज़ नहीं आती | आपके शब्द इन किताबों में दबे सूखे फूलों की तरह मिले... पुराने मगर खुशनुमा !

दिल खुश हुआ तो ये चुहल भरी बात याद आयी कि:

ऐ फ़िराकवाली तू ये न समझ कि फ़िराक तेरी फ़िराक में है ,
फ़िराक तो उसकी फ़िराक में हैं जो फ़िराक की फ़िराक में है !

:)
Topic: Rejoice!
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:30:16 AM
JJ, I returned to the forums after so many days and found this great news waiting! Applause Applause

Wow, you must be on cloud nine! Heartiest congratulations!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.