Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 538
[0.06% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Sigmund Freud (1856)
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:17:52 AM
Freud recommended the use of cocaine to treat depression (which he himself used to relieve his depression), migraine, and as an anesthetic. in his 1884 paper "On Coca" he extolled its virtues but later he retracted them due to the effect of cocaine use on addictive personalities.
Topic: If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:07:04 AM
Who determines which man needs be so severely injured that he will 'tell no tales'. Notice that the sentence is passive.
Topic: Imperfect tense
Posted: Saturday, May 3, 2014 9:55:13 AM
if English has an imperfect tense at all it would be the simple past tense.
Topic: Tofu
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 9:01:14 AM
since tofu is made up of soybeans and soybeans are a Monsanto product I don't feel to safe eating it.
Topic: Tofu
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 9:01:13 AM
since tofu is made up of soybeans and soybeans are a Monsanto product I don't feel to safe eating it.
Topic: Prepare the Paddles: Human Activities Causing Cities to Sink
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 8:59:49 AM
Who would have thought that extracting the ground water for drinking purposes would cause a city to sink. Probably the type of rock the city is built on helps to keep the city standing. For example, Manhattan is built on solid ledge so despite the buildings and the number of people drinking its water will have little effect in causing it to sink. It's problem, no doubt, will be the sea level raising. Interesting article.
Topic: Self-conceit may lead to self-destruction.
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 8:46:39 AM
what a prescient quote: self deceit can lead to self destruction. One should tatoo it on one's heart. The last to know is typically oneself.
Topic: Do British blokes say "Fabulous"?
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:43:04 AM
Fab four, which really doesn' apply capture the Beatles allure.
Topic: making a booking at restaurant
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:32:26 PM
hopefully since you choose to write in English to an italian establishment I will render assistance:
Dear Maître d':

Please reserve a table for two for June 29th for supper.

Sincerely, your name and contact information.

Hopes that helps. You should know precisely when you are want to reserve the table.
Topic: bullet points for a resume
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:37:30 PM
I too don't understand why one just can't use a sentence but then I bristle at resumes.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.