Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Chocolate Mint
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:44:53 PM
Sorry, that first "or" started out as "your."
Topic: Chocolate Mint
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:42:51 PM
You could use or chocolate mint in making ice cream or truffles or any of a number of other sweet treats. Of course, if it flourishes far too much, you might be able to sell some to Cadbury's.
Topic: "flooding caused by last night’s ferocious storm" "flooding <that was> caused by last night’s ferocious storm"
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:54:22 PM
Yes, You are correct that the <that was> is an understood part of the phrase. As to your second question, I have no idea whether it is a "reduced" relative clause. Reduction of clauses is not something usually discussed in American grammar except perhaps in English masters or doctoral classes. In fact, whether it is even a relative clause depends on the sentence in which it is contained. See, for example, "Flooding caused by last night's ferocious storm caused four deaths."

Topic: 'Faustian bargain'
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:02:19 PM
Thanks for the great graphic examples, thar.
Topic: Tarzan of the Apes
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:58:45 PM
As I recall from long, long ago, he was somehow lost in the jungle as a young man and raised by a group of apes so that he later identified with being part of the apes' family rather than thinking of himself as part of the human race.

Topic: Store Front in Berlin - Spectacular!
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:38:57 PM
Great display but why did they have to start with a Dalek?
Topic: Possible US Constitutional Amendment Brewing
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:42:08 PM
According to several sources I consulted, imacann, there has never been a convention of states called for proposing amendments. Even if the requisite 38 states tried to call such a convention, I'd bet that they'd get so bogged down in considering the preliminaries, such as where they'd meet, who would represent each state, etc., that the convention would never actually take place. nowhere's observations on animosity and polarization seem to accurately reflect the prevailing mood of the country.
Topic: Abortion by gender.
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:43:12 PM
You must remember that China has decreed that a married couple must only have one child. And, because female children have historically always been devalued, the couple wants to keep trying to have the only child be male. Abortion is at least a step forward; female babies used to be "laid out" to die and this was not just in China but also in the Euro-centric world. Now the truly "designer babies" are those produced through in-vitro fertilization where the couple can specify that only male embryos are to be implanted.

P.S. Please note tha,t in your quotation, de La Fontaine speaks only of "judging men."
Topic: Are these sentences natural? October 19
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:43:01 PM
My only quibble with the suggested changes is item 1. The first sentence, with its "will you let him know I called," is quite formal, while the "give [him] a shout" in the second sentence is much more informal. I think the second sentence should be "He asked me to call this afternoon."
Topic: Occupy Wall Street: What do you think?
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 8:56:16 PM
I agree that the 99% have many reasons for concern, so I'm in favor of the protests. I do, however, believe that it is past time for we of the 99% start coming up with some viable suggestions for change. First, I believe that every "occupier" should be registered to vote and should agree to vote in federal, state and local elections. The political problems will not go away unless we have changes in the people legislating many of the problems. Next, the protesters need to work on the state level to enact serious term limits on Congress and ignore the pleas that we in this state have to keep this senator or that representative in office because he heads some important committee that can really help people in our state. If the corporations aren't going to gain anything by funding a candidate's reelection campaign, they may be forced to use the money for other things, like hiring workers at a fair wage.

Here endeth the rant for the day.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.