Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 649
[0.08% of all post / 0.28 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ONLY for fair-minded members and guests
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 4:19:42 PM
Partisanship is negative because by definition, it is one sided, showing inability to discuss openly and logically with the other side of the fence. Constructive criticism is always welcome on the debate table, but, accusations go nowhere. As a so called 'liberal' on this forum, I'm open to discussion based on fact but NOT on rumours or convoluted speculations or ill-founded ideological dogma or self serving empty rhetoric. I support my fellow 'liberals' who are voicing open mindedness and a strong belief in factual debate. It is most difficult to applaud a chaotic administration that diminishes truth, the rule of law and the essence of democracy.
Topic: American media "dislike" President Trump
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2017 10:57:14 AM
to the Parser...
Is Fox News paying you to try to convince us 'liberals' to support Trump? I believe that the other contributors made very logical and intelligent points to rubbish what you are advocating. It's quite difficult to put one's trust and support in an arena where
chaos reigns. Putting partisanship aside, one needs to seek information from many sources to find facts that measure up.

We, the public, American and international are not fools.
Topic: Canada Overwhelmed by Influx of U.S. Border Jumpers
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 4:54:05 PM
Hope... thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm not seeing any of this from my vantage point. The situation seems to be crumbling by the minute. Where are we going with all of this negativity? Is there no logic left in the system?? My heart goes out to those living in fear. There must be a solution, somewhere, somehow!! Migration cannot continue at this pace. And I'm sure that a great majority of these migrants would like to live happily in their countries of birth, among their own.
I feel sad for the human race which has evolved to this very sad state of affairs. Sick
Topic: "Which variety of English should I learn?"
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 3:40:07 PM
hedy... Your years of teaching ESL in 'American English' do not make your views the gospel truth. My point was to express an opinion that the English language is multi faceted. We all agree that languages evolve but authority on the subject is a different matter. Sorry but the USA does not have the last word on English... many countries have English as a national language with many variables and they are not inferior. Americans have a bit of a superiority complex clearly expressed by your comments.
Topic: "Which variety of English should I learn?"
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 10:01:48 AM
As an ESL tutor for the past seven years, I have to disagree with The Parser. In my humble opinion, I think a broader approach to learning, speaking and writing English is the way to go.

I have a 'classic' North American accent but I insist with my students on good pronunciation versus any particular accent. In other words, I don't insist on my students aping how I speak but rather that I want to understand them. The aim being to be well understood by English speakers from anywhere.

I use British spelling though I expand to include American spelling for the sake of knowledge and recognition. I always give a choice and suggest that they stick to one formula. Whether it's colour or color, spoken or read, both are very clear and far from confusing. As for cookies vs. biscuits, gas vs. petrol, why not know both?
I avoid gonna and wanna like the plague.

Languages are always in evolutionary mode, especially these days with tech parlance. Non anglophone countries borrow English words all the time and vice versa. Here in France, I am shocked at the English used in French conversation, most of it mispronounced and often outside the original definition. You may all remember how George W. Bush said that the French had borrowed the word entrepreneur because they don't have an equivalent word in French! But I digress...

In the spirit of inclusiveness and acceptance of variables, my vote goes to being broad-minded in our global environment.
Yes, English is the current international language. No country has a monopoly on spelling and pronunciation.
Let's communicate in a respectful manner.
Topic: Self imposed ignorance as the solution to bad news.
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 4:16:56 AM
Fellow 'leftists'... you have all been and continue to be so articulate in your discussions on the deplorable state of affairs post inauguration. I feel that I'm developing a chronic illness based on disgust at what I see and hear on a daily basis. Listening to self congratulatory lies and falsehoods literally 'blow my mind'.
Topic: Québec mosque shooting: five reportedly killed in gun attack
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:59:58 PM
Yarin... Applause Applause Applause
Topic: Hold His Feet To The Fire
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:23:42 PM
Romany, I have to agree with your thoughts about the US, but at this time, much more about US leadership. I have lived in many countries, on several continents and specifically in the US for 9 years. For all of the good that happens there as well as the good people, there is an aura of superiority to other nations, to other cultures that is disturbing and now becoming frightening.

I also agree with Hope and others that no country has to stand at the top of the heap. What is terribly wrong with cooperation? I feel that we are going in a very wrong direction with authoritarian rulers and may I add, extremely egocentric agendas. Leadership seems to have lost its definition - that of enlightened governance for the common good. Peter Drucker quoted: "management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things."
Topic: Incoming press secretary Sean Spicer's "shameful lies."
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 6:12:19 AM
Oscar, Romany and others... I have to agree. We are in for a miserable moment in time, being bullied and lied to by a herd of self serving low lives. Democracy and truth at stake and more 'alternative facts' to come.
Topic: There's something very wrong...
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:26:58 AM
Very interesting to read all your comments. As an outsider, I support the anti President-elect team. Narcissism is perfectly illustrated in this pathetic character and I believe that the country will pay a high price for having put him in this position of power. Interesting also that so many of his cabinet nominations are disagreeing with his ill informed notions on how to govern a country. Is this a glimmer of hope??

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.