Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 127
[0.01% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Firefox Error about java update needed
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:27:14 PM
Try updating it.

It seems Firefox has had incompatibilities with Java for quite some time. The Java Deployment toolkit is the is a perfect example of this.

If nothing works, save your bookmarks and preferences and then reset Firefox.
Topic: letter to the head of a research centre
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 4:28:05 PM
oh, that is why I love these forums.

Thank you.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 1:08:57 PM
Very much appreciated!
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 11:40:27 AM
Dear teachers

Could you kindly check this letter for errors?

Dear Dr B,

as requested, you will find attached to this email the schedule for my research in Aston expected to be held in 2014. The research has not yet got an exact start date, but it has to end by August next year. Accordingly, we would need to work together to define what could be done and how these tasks could be distributed in time. I hope to start in January, but I see that this date is already tight because of the time required for approval of the project by the government agency that funds students in other countries (Science Without Borders Programme) which is 2-3 months. To start and complete the process, I will need your endorsement and cost sheets in two separate documents, and especially to be as soon as possible. Your endorsement is a simple letter stating that the schedule was approved, that the partnership between the two universities is possible and that I have sufficient knowledge of English to complete the tasks.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Dr B, please accept my sincerest apologies if this rush brings you any inconvenience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you again for your attention.

Faithfully yours,

Thank you
Topic: so ... would
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 1:36:02 PM
Ruth, Weight-hour space velocity is one single variable. In Engineering, it represents the flow rate of gas over the mass of catalyst.

Thank you
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 1:31:19 PM
I would like to thank you all and at the same time apologise for not providing enough information to make the sentence understandable. The simple reason is that it is a bit technical. Let me rephrase it this way:

A few variables could be studied, such as A, B and C, which would result in 8 runs.

Eight because 2^3 = 8. Two is the number of levels (as in 'upper' and 'lower' bounds), 3 is the number of variables.
'Require' could be used but I believe I'd have to extend a bit more:

... which would require 8 runs (if it is a full experimental design).

Thank you. Really appreciate it.

Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:24:37 AM
Dear teachers

Is this sentence correct English?

A few variables could be studied (catalyst, bed temperature and weight hour space velocity), so an experimental design would result in 8 runs.

Thank you

Topic: Credit card payments
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:25:41 PM
Thank you both very much.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 6:22:27 PM
Dear Ruth, your response is quite informative, I can't thank you enough for that. The sentences at the end are exactly what I was looking for:

I would like to make five payments for this.

However, if I understood correctly, unless it's a layaway, which won't allow you to take your buy home, the credit system there won't allow you buy things by credit card and pay it in small payments (till it is paid off).

In Brazil, you can buy almost anything using credit cards, check (BrE cheque) etc, pay for it in small payments and most importantly, you get to take the item home right after the buy has been authorised. The number of payments is dependant on the price. Up to a certain price, it is interest-free.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Thank you again.
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 12:45:39 PM
Dear teachers

Are the sentences below correct and idiomatic English?

Charge these on the credit card and make it into 5 payments.
Charge these on credit and make it into 5 payments.
How many payments could you do for me to pay the debt?

Thank you

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.