Number of Posts: 384
[0.04% of all post / 0.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: (Proverb) "A cat can look at a king"
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 1:01:16 PM
[quote=TheParser]

A cat may look at a king
Meaning

An inferior isn't completely restricted in what they may do in the presence of a superior.
Origin

The origin of this proverb is unknown. What is known is that it is found first in print in a famous early collection of English proverbs, The Proverbs And Epigrams Of John Heywood, 1562:

Some hear and see him whom he heareth nor seeth not
But fields have eyes and woods have ears, ye wot
And also on my maids he is ever tooting.
Can ye judge a man, (quoth I), by his looking?
What, a cat may look on a king, ye know!
My cat's leering look, (quoth she), at first show,
Showeth me that my cat goeth a caterwauling;
And specially by his manner of drawing
To Madge, my fair maid.

In 1713, Oswald Dykes published English proverbs with moral reflexions. This used various well-known proverbs as a starting point for Dykes' to pronounce his political and social values. In this extract it isn't clear which king he was protecting, as Queen Anne was the British monarch at the time:

Tis very true, Kings do not use to call Cats to an Account for their looks, or their undistinguishing Boldness: But there are many Cats of this Kind, which are too much made of, indulg'd, and encourag'd, 'till they fly at last in the Face of sacred Majesty. In this Sense, it is a true-blue Protestant-Proverb. I do not know whether it was calculated for the Rabble or not; to pur and mew like Cats about a Throne, 'till at length they scratch the Hand that strokes them, and mob their Protector. However, there has been ill use made on't; and it has often been extravagantly misapply'd to Outrage and Violence upon a King's Person, as well in Print, as in some Peoples Mouths.

A good day
Topic: New word from India included in Oxford dictionary
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:36:31 AM
(NEWSER) – In the latest quarterly update of
the Oxford English Dictionary, there was
great rejoicing when, in honor of the 100th
anniversary of Roald Dahl's birth, words such
as "splendiferous" and "human bean" joined
the great heap of our language's modern
lexicon. More quietly, the Tamil slang word
"aiyo" also entered the fray, but the
dictionary's description—"In southern India
and Sri Lanka, expressing distress, regret, or
grief; 'Oh no!', 'Oh dear!'"— is being taken to
task for being "pithy," "emasculating all [the
word's] colorful possibilities," "reduc[ing] it to
cud," and "suck[ing] the life out of it," at least
according to one writer at Quartz. He calls
"aiyo" multipurpose in the way the F-bomb is
but notes it's so much more, and not a curse word.
Aiyo is common to the major Dravidian languages of southern India: Tamil, Malayalam,
Kannada and Telugu. It's been connected to the Hindu god Ayyapa and the wife of Hindu
god of death Yama. The Indian Express reports that it Erst reached an English audience in
1886 via Chamber's Journal. But like Quartz, the Express takes issue with the dictionary's
description, which "has not fully appreciated the depth, power and dignity of this word,
dismissing it as 'of imitative origin.'" Aiyo is instead "fully loaded" and yet "the only broadspectrum
interjection which is not obscene," and with "only a hint of a consonant, it seems
to have no content, and yet is capable of expressing the entire condition of the human
Topic: My wife has a serious stroke.
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 11:21:29 PM
radhakrishnan wrote:
Apart from the medical treatment, let us all pray for her early and full recovery. Group prayer has good effect defnitely.

the way you replied to his sincere advice, makes one to think your sincerity and the story of your wife, as a fictitious one.
May God bless you & your wife well, if your story is true.
Topic: the capital of Korea, Korea's capital, Korean capital, the capital in Korea
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2016 1:03:45 PM
thar wrote:
It is all in context.

edit
Kanna, what is it in particular that you find confusing in my post? Maybe I can elucidate?
sound most natural to me.

thar.
sorry,if my comment had in any way hurt you.
grammar had been bitter like the " unripened fruit of the neem tree" ( as the utter bitterness is said in our mother tongue) from my school days.
Topic: the capital of Korea, Korea's capital, Korean capital, the capital in Korea
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:03:15 PM
[quote=thar]I am repeating some of what has been said, but here is my reasoning.

Dear thar,
with your vast knowledge of English language, you have confused me
equally vastly.
because of my poor knowledge i am not able make head or tail of explanation.
As a good teacher, you will be able to be brief to drive home the point,for the benefit of people like me !!!.
Topic: Member promotion
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:34:27 PM
This, is not a competition, is a forum, where you can clear your doubts and join others' to clear others doubts also. Enjoy and enlighten yourself than to get mere points.
Topic: Who or Whom
Posted: Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:52:06 PM
Medea wrote:
Dear all:

"who" is a subject pronoun like he , she ,it, We use "who" to ask which

person does an action or which person is a certain way.

Who made the birthday cake?

"Whom" is an object pronoun like "him," "her" and "us." We use "whom" to ask which person receives an action

Whom are you going to invite?

cheers
MedeaBoo hoo!

Is it not correct to say 'who are all you going to invite?'
Topic: 'poisoned chalice'
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:09:59 AM
What is the meaning of 'poisoned chalice'?
The responders are thanked in advance.
Topic: proffer a check
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:21:56 PM
Allana seems to be more than correct. See the meaning of 'proffer' given by Macmillan Dictionary.

proffer
- definition

verb [transitive] formal British English pronunciation: proffer /ˈprɒfə(r)/
Word Forms

to offer someone something by moving it towards them
Thesaurus entry for this meaning of proffer
to offer someone something such as an explanation or apology
Thesaurus entry for this meaning of proffer

This is the British English definition of proffer. View American English definition of proffer.

Definition of proffer from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Publishers Limited.
Topic: 'stepney'
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:23:09 AM
Is the word 'stepney' to mean the 5th tyre/tire or spare one,used/recognized by the native speakers of English still.
I think lot of defunct English words be replaced in India to better their
English.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.