Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 18,177
[1.99% of all post / 5.90 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Typical antipsychotic depot
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:29:58 AM
Yes, it is hard. It just comes thought experience, when you meet it.

I don't know if this is useful or not, but any word that ends in '-tion', is probably a noun formed from an action. eg If you medicate someone, that is medication. So often (?) that is a concept (uncountable) as well as a particular instance (countable).
I really don't know if that is true for more than the few instances that came to my mind, or what the language teachers here would think about it, but it might be something to think about the next few times you encounter -tion nouns.

eg
Action is uncountable, but actions are countable.
Hesitation is uncountable, but hesitations are countable.
Perception is uncountable, but perceptions are countable.
etc
That is just a thought - don't take it as a rule or anything close to one!
Topic: Typical antipsychotic depot
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:41:48 AM
You can look at it the other way round. What does it indicate, that there is no article? That medication is uncountable here.

This is not a medication, a drug, a thing. This is medication, medicine, the concept or idea.
The drug is an antipsychotic drug. The delivery method is depot injection. The concept of what is the advised for the patient is antipsychotic depot medication.

Quote:
medication
noun [ C or U ] UK ​

C2 a medicine, or a set of medicines or drugs, used to improve a particular condition or illness:

He is currently on/taking medication for his heart.
In the study, patients were taken off their usual medications.

Quote:

medication

Word forms: plural medications
variable noun
Topic: Abroad
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 5:57:39 PM
Think of it this way:
I am in a deep sleep
I am in a state of wakefulness
I am in a foreign country

I am asleep
I am awake
I am abroad

Topic: poem
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 5:11:05 PM
Who (or what) do you think his fellows are, that are bawling?
(ie what animals bawl - what animals are we talking about here?)
If they are bawling, and racking their throats, then what meaning of racking does that imply?
(you can rack your brains over that one, if it's not too nerve-racking)

What is happening when the cropped grasses 'shoot another head'?
(In terms of plants, what is a shoot, and what is a head?)
Or, more to the point, what is not happening if the grass is growing unhindered?

Topic: would seem
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 3:47:22 PM
It is not about what we think. It is about what we would think, if our opinion were asked.

Eg
The reason would seem silly to me.
That is about the reason. It is the sort of reason what would seem silly to me, if you explained it to me.

The reason seems silly to me.
That is my opinion. I think it is silly. You asked me, and I think it is silly.
Topic: Tenses with yesterday
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 2:51:04 PM
No, it is fine. It implies a progressive time-frame, so it is mostly used to ask about the overall action of the day, rather than specific actions within it. Ie what tasks were you engaged in, where were you?

Eg
What were you doing yesterday?
I was working on the new grant proposal.
I was out in the field (ie working away from the office)
I was doing various things, seeing various people.

It can also be used as the enveloping time-frame for a specific event.
eg
What were you doing yesterday when I called? You didn't answer.

Whereas the simple past is not interested in the time, it is more interested in the action.

What did you do yesterday?
I completed most of the new grant proposal.
I took readings from all field sites, and I will send you the data once I have compiled it.
I didn't get much done. I did a few things and saw a few people but I didn't have time to do anything on the grant proposal.

Of course it also depends on the verb involved - the verb 'to do' has implications of not only participating in something, but also achieving something, in certain contexts. So you can't always assume that what works for one verb will transfer to others.
Topic: The Cave of the Splurgles
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 9:02:30 AM
Spurgles is a made-up nonsense word.
It seems to call on an association with splurging or splurting, and gurgling, but whether that is true or it is a just a nonsense word, you will only be able to tell by context.
How he makes that a word with meaning in this particular story is entirely up to him.
Topic: Comma after "home"?
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 8:53:51 AM
But you are not married with someone. You are married to someone. So you can be married with children. Or divorced with children, or single with children, etc.

I agree with PJ. A comma would be wrong.

If there is a comma, it means the clause after the comma is extra information about the home - it does not define the home.

If you take away the clause after an added comma, you have the sentence
Like many other people, she grew up in a home.

That makes no sense, in that it does not say anything useful.

What is important is the home that is defined -
a home where she was constantly criticised.
Topic: Tenses with yesterday
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 8:04:31 AM
They mean different things - the choice of tense adds information about the time of the action in relation to some other time frame.

What had you done yesterday before I saw you?
This is making the action perfect and complete - ie what tasks had you completed before the time that I saw you.
The time frame is constrained by 'yesterday' ie tasks completed before yesterday don't count.

What had you been doing yesterday before I saw you?
When I saw you, you stopped doing things. What tasks (or crimes) had you been performing in the period before I stopped you?

What were you doing yesterday?
It is a prolonged duration - what tasks were you performing during that time?

What were you doing yesteday when I saw you?
At that particular single point in time, what activities were you engaged in?

What did you do yesterday?
Simple past - what actions did you engage in?
The start and end is constrained by the time frame 'yesterday'

What did you do today?
simple past.
The start is constrained by 'today' the end is constrained by 'now' or some other concept of 'today' (eg in school, at work, while you were out).

What have you done today?
Past up to present or effect still valid in present.
Start constrained by start of today, end constrained by now or end of 'today' as a concept, as above.
Most things that you have done today are still 'true' so present usually fits fine.

What are you doing now?
At this moment, what activities are you engaged in?

What are you doing today?
Future plans, intentions - you probably ask in the morning.

What will you do today?
Fixed plans - you probably ask in the morning.

What are you going to do today?
Future intentions, your decision - you ask in the morning

What will you have done, today (by the end of today)?
The past from a future perspective.
Asked in the morning, to look back from a perspective of the end of the day.
Topic: The English Peasants' Revolt of 1381
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 6:38:52 AM
Well, he may have lost the battle but he won the war. People remember and celebrate Wat Tyler.
Nobody gives a ***** about Richard II.
Whistle

Quote:

HOUSING MATTERS

← Tales from the Thames
My East End?: Living with ‘Gentrification’ →

Remembering the Peasants’ Revolt
Posted on July 16, 2015 by Glyn Robbins
Yesterday was the 634th anniversary of the bloody suppression of the Peasants’ Revolt. Wat Tyler (an Essex boy made glorious) made the critical mistake, repeated by many since, of believing the ruling class. They came to Smithfield to demand a more fair and just society from the King, who appeared to acquiesce, only to attack the peasants when their backs were turned. Parallels for today are too obvious to mention.

Thanks to the sterling efforts of a small group of people, a splendid memorial to the Revolt was unveiled yesterday, adjacent to St Bartholomew-the-Great church.

I had the unwarranted honour of being asked to say a few words at the unveiling as a warm-up act for Ken Loach (not sure If I was invited because I’m a peasant, or because I’m revolting). I mentioned how I learned about the Revolt from my dad who saw in it fundamental, eternal truths. We gathered in West Smithfield on the day the government announced the latest wave of attacks on the working class and our freedom to organise and resist. It’s not hard to imagine Cameron using the same language used against the peasants in 1381 – ‘Peasants you are and peasants you shall remain.’

There’s always a danger when we commemorate our history that we romanticise it and freeze it in aspic. We mustn’t spend too much energy on the fight for a better past! If we want to truly remember the Peasants’ Revolt, we should follow their example.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.