Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 20,077
[2.11% of all post / 6.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Combining
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:02:48 PM
This is the use of a participle replacing a relative clause.

Teaching can offer you
a career
combining /which combines
job security
with
constant variety and the chance to inspire young people every day.

As to when to use it - you could use a relative clause and inflected verb here. But you don't need the timeless present simple.
The participle is a slightly more elegant choice. It doesn't make the career the subject of a relative clause with an inflected verb. Which is better because a career doesn't actually do anything.
Also it is a bit of variety - you already have the main verb.
And it is one word not two. Whistle
Topic: fix a time
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:21:32 PM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
Which one would you use?

1 Let's fix a/the time for our meeting.
2 Let's set a/the time for our meeting.

Fix and set are pretty much the same (think fixative = glue. Glue sets! Then the object can't move Whistle )

A or the --- not much difference. you fix a time with agreement. You set the time so it isn't changed.. But that is a nuance.

But to me more natural:
We fix a time for our next meeting.

We fix the time of our next meeting.

(Because 'the time of our next meeting ' is then a specific thing)

But that might just be me.
3 Let's make a/the time for our meeting.

You don't make a time for something.
Because you are not creating a date and time. Those exist, whatever you do or don't do.

You make time for something (push other things aside to create an opportunity to do it - make space in your busy schedule)
Topic: Endemic
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:07:37 PM
I may not have posted it all yet. I was in and out and didn't realise I had actually posted, and the continuation was actually an edit.

Pandemic is the easy one by word meaning - everywhere (all people)

Epidemic is the easy one from common usage - a sudden increase (on people)

Endemic is the rarest word - restricted to a region (in people) edit my take - - meaning in disease is generally that it is common there, but not for wildlife - I would take that to mean just restricted to that place and not found elsewhere.

In disease:
Endemic - you'll be exposed to it if you go to that place. Take precautions, especially if you are from somewhere else and have no acquired immunities.
Epidemic - loads of people are suddenly suffering from it. Take precautions/ Avoid places where there are outbreaks.
Pandemic - oh shit! Pray
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:45:12 AM
Endemic includes the two ideas
1 it is native, not introduced
2 it is not found (as a native) anywhere else

So native on its own is not enough.
Unique on its own is possible but a bit too vague. It could mean unique in many ways(uniquely adapted to high altitude for example). It suggests they have something special that other species don't have. But all this means is they don't occur in other places.

Some of the ways marsupials have taken up the various niches are unique - kangaroos instead of gazelles,, for example. But that is not implied by endemic.
Endemic animals can be bog standard of their type - they just don't occur anywhere else. There is a wren that is only found on one island off Shetland. It is not unique (but it is pretty bloody hardy!). It is just isolated.
To be entirely clear I think you need to add that it is the distribution that is unique - "unique to Australia".
Topic: The growing level
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 8:32:22 AM
There is a level of concern about the dangers of vaping.

That level is growing.

That specific thing - the growing level of concern - is making the CDC issue warnings.
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 8:29:00 AM
Do you mean what does it mean, or how to write it?
Topic: A or The desired grades
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 7:10:30 AM
If there were a set of choices - you must wear red or blue, then you could wear one and it would be 'a desired colour'.

But in this context there is no set of choices. If the desired grade is a 7, and you have a 9, they are not going to reject you for your score being too high! So really 'grade' means that grade and anything above it. So it is a single specified grade. There is only one, not a selection - the desired grade.

The grades (plural) for different criteria.

A desired grade (a black cat) doesn't really work, as it is not one of the general set of desired grades (all black cats). There is no such general thing. You mean one specific grade - the desired grade (the black cat on the chair).
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:47:14 AM
Here it would be the grades desired by the Canadian immigration process.

General 'desired grades' doesn't mean anything. Grades which are desired in general.

It only makes sense when you specify the grades "that they desire you to have in order to meet their language criteria".

The context will have specified that ( ie what grades/band etc), so after that you refer back to those specified grades as the desired grades.
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 5:59:41 AM
This must be specified. The grades which are desired by somebody for something.
Topic: Call-out distances, the wall's louder
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 5:57:48 AM
Don't improve your English, that's fine.
Don't improve your interpersonal skills? You will keep antagonising people.
Or at the very least, use your intelligence , learn from experience, and fake being nice till you get what you want. Whistle

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.