Interests: Dogs,swimming,hiking,shooting
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 240
[0.03% of all post / 0.10 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Why men are such a......s?
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 5:21:20 AM
Actually it's the women who mate with the potential best man. In the past maybe the most athletic one and best hunter, nowadays you won't impress anybody with muscle or crossing with a redlight, but a sport car or other exhibitions of wealth will do.
Luckily it's not the rule, but I am afraid this is also part of the evolution...
Topic: Will you raise your child up as a bilingual?
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:47:49 AM
Since my wife speaks a different language, our boy is picking up both languages PLUS english, which is the third language we often use at home. He seems to understand all the three languages and according to some friend experience (they have a similar family situation but with older children) soon they will start selecting which language to use with each parent.
It's not a burden at all.

I work for a taiwanese group and I can see first hand how adults and children cope with a foreign enviroment. Of course at office we use english, but very few of them if any after 3-5 years are able to pick up any italian. On the other side, their children who are usually very young 2-5 years old, in a very short time can speak fluently. It is really amazing and I always encourage their parents to sign them to some italian class once back to Taipei in order not to lose it.
Topic: mistakes of learners of English
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:55:27 AM
Now I recalled one funny phrase I herd in my hobby:

One italian dog breeder told a british guy : " These dogs are allevated by me" ...now in italian to Breed is "Allevare" but "allevated" is just improvising :)
Topic: mistakes of learners of English
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:42:15 AM
IMcRout wrote:
Thanks arfax.
This also reminds me of way back when I attended a, no, wrong stylistic level, I went to a rock concert in Britain and right next to me a bunch of French people were standing. My own French - pardon - is not very remarkable but I could clearly understand one expression they kept repeating, 'J'ai trop tulle'. At least that was what I understood at first.
Later on, at home. lying on my couch in vacant and pensive mood, Wordsworth-like, it flashed upon my inward ear, and I finally comprehended.

Do you, too?

Jethro Tull !!! Dancing

Now I cannot recall any example of common mistakes in english from my people, but I think we tend to turn into english some italian words just adding "-ed" at the end. This is actually funny to hear from me but probably not intelligible in English.
Topic: Military leadership
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 3:51:26 AM
Since I've been a soldier I would reply as follow:

First, I feel that your question is more related to what is required to a soldier to accept a military leadership = hyerarchy/discipline

I think the key point is trust. You trust your leader, you follow = good leadership

Elaborating I would say I trusted those leaders who were always capable to execute the orders they give and lead their soldiers.

If you have a chubby captain who ask you to run for 20 kms whilst he drives a land rover you have a bad leadership and as I told one once, this leader should be more concerned to bullets coming from behind rather than front, in a real battle scenario. He will never be trusted by his men in battle.
If your leader ask you to run for 30 km but he runs in front of you, you will let your feet bleed and follow him = good leadership.

In a nutshell, it's all there, in my opinion.
Topic: Worst PRESIDENT in your COUNTRY?
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 5:57:06 AM
I agree with Thar. Besides, bad leaders often reflects some traits of those they lead, no matter if democratically elected or not. So I don't like much to spit at a mirror.
Topic: Road Warrior
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 5:50:53 AM
Driving a motorbike everyday to work, I've seen the movie of my life a couple of times before. I got 40 stitches reminding me we are made of flesh and water too. All because of careless car drivers. Once it was an old man stopping the car behind a bend with no apparent reason, another time was a woman signaling a right turn and suddenly turning left. Could my accidents being avoided? some yes and some no. I believe there is a bit of fate too in what happens to us. But there is also a lot of stress we all bear, urging us to move from point A to point B. I realized that after I had my first son. Now anytime I feel the desire to speed a bit,I think about him, I relax and slow down. No hurry and no worries. Life is not your job, it's your family and I plan to stay with them as long as possibile.
Fate, that is something you cannot control though. I lost a friend 2 weeks ago. He was waiting to pay the motorway fee in Mexico and a truck broke the brakes, hit him and killed him on the spot. Tell me it's not fate or bad luck. Cannot fight with that.
Topic: I didn't do nothing or I did nothing ?
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:58:44 AM
thar wrote:
In TV series people tend to murder people too, which I am sure you were also taught not to do!!

I noticed that...first victim is the English language Anxious
Topic: BFF - Does that even mean anything anymore?
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:30:57 AM
Never heard it before, but the thread gives me the chance to ponder over this thing.

10 years ago I went to work in Asia and I was quite shocked by the fact that most of the relationships started and ended over the net. Friends, boy/girlfriends, etc. Youngsters life was on the net.
In my country it wasn't like that...yet. You meet people, build relationships and hang out together before anything else would happen. Now, after 10 years here it's exactly the same. the backyards around my house are empty. No kids voices or playing. They're all home, glued to their netbook.
Once relationship becomes virtual, it's easy to make new friends and start relationships and also cut them loose.But I'm wondering how our brain lives that, since emotions and feelings often are very real.
Today I have many virtual friends because of common interests and activities.People all over the world I will probably never meet. Only in few cases that happened and was nice. But I'm not a kid anymore since long time and we met because of activities in common for a competition, not because of romance.
Still over 500 virtual friends leaves you empty like your stomach after a fastfood meal. So I started to look back at my early years and found that my best friends are still those I grew up together, had fun and adventures with, cut and bruised my knees together playing in the yard.
Will our kids be able to do the same or somehow they are missing something? I think so.
Topic: I didn't do nothing or I did nothing ?
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:18:16 AM
I've been taught :

I did nothing
I didn't do anything

not to use a double negative form

However I often heard on TV series or on spoken english some exceptions, like "I didn't do nothing".

Is that correct? Anybody could explain me the rule?
thanks

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.