Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Import / Export My Word List
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:52:22 PM
Thanks for that quick response.

How about making the code of the list available as a widget? The person who has created a custom Free Dictionary page could just copy and paste the code from on place to the other.
Topic: Import / Export My Word List
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:16:17 PM
I really rely on the Free Dictionary every day. I do a lot of writing and find this site absolutely invaluable. I keep the page open when I'm composing in Word and use the dictionary and thesaurus frequently.

I use multiple browsers and was wondering if there is any way I can import / export My Word List from one to the other.

Until recently I was using one browser almost exclusively and built up a very large word list. I am currently using a different browser predominately and would really like to have access to my large word list without copying and pasting each word from the Excel file I've exported.

Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for your attention to this question.
A Free Dictionary fan,
Richard William Posner
Topic: Fundamentalist/Terrorist
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 11:47:44 PM
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
I am way better off, coldwarbaby. I do not have to choose between any of the 'books'. And neither do I have to listen to negative comments about nor defend my 'faith' or 'belief, , just because I have an obligation. I don't have to take this unnecessary burden of not exploring truth that is beyond the few pages of a 'book'. I'm not saying that is the case with followers, but some do seem to suffer from the two-mindedness I just spoke about. Hence, I play it safe. I don't follow any religion. :)

A wise choice. Nor do I.
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:15:59 PM
(And it happens with every religion of course.) Is it a never-ending debate??

Probably.

Please read the highlighted portion of my previous post.[/quote]

Mea culpa!

"...I have personally read none..."

Given this violent legacy, religion historian Philip Jenkins decided to compare the brutality quotient of the Quran and the Bible.

Defense Vs. Total Annihilation
"Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible," Jenkins says.
Jenkins is a professor at Penn State University and author of two books dealing with the issue: the recently published Jesus Wars, and Dark Passages , which has not been published but is already drawing controversy.
"By the standards of the time, which is the 7th century A.D., the laws of war that are laid down by the Quran are actually reasonably humane," he says. "Then we turn to the Bible, and we actually find something that is for many people a real surprise. There is a specific kind of warfare laid down in the Bible which we can only call genocide."
It is called herem, and it means total annihilation. Consider the Book of 1 Samuel, when God instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites: "And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them," God says through the prophet Samuel. "But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

Deuteronomy 20:16 - 18
But of the cities of these peoples which the Lord your God gives you as an inheritance, you shall let nothing that breathes remain alive, but you shall utterly destroy them—the Hittite, Amorite, Canaanite, Perizzite, Hivite, and Jebusite—just as the Lord your God has commanded you, lest they teach you to do according to all their abominations which they have done for their gods, and you sin against the Lord your God
Joshua 10:40
So Joshua [Moses' successor] conquered all the land: the mountain country and the South and the lowland and the wilderness slopes, and all their kings; he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord, God of Israel had commanded.
The Crusades were in fact violent and led to atrocities by the modern world's standards under the banner of the cross and in the name of Christianity. After breaching the walls of Jerusalem in 1099, for example, the Crusaders reportedly slaughtered almost every inhabitant of the Holy City. According to the medieval chronicle, the Gesta Danorum, "the slaughter was so great that our men waded in blood up to their ankles."

The point being that any belief which drives out reason and replaces it with blind faith that it is the only truth will ultimately lead to violence and terrorism.
Such faith is the basis of virtually all organized religion.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."
Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, 1813.
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 8:38:21 PM

I too have heard many others who have read Koran say that the book does involve texts that pertain directly to violence. Since there are many who also say that there isn't anything related to violence in koran, I have often asked others (who are well-conversed with such things) to show me parts of the translated text that has violence in it. And indeed I have come across such parts, and I cannot deny the significant presence of violent stuff in what I have seen.
So, which school of thought is right after all? Since either party says that either the other one is wrong in interpreting or they are deliberately trying to defame the book. (And it happens with every religion of course.) Is it a never-ending debate?? [/quote]

And would you contend that the christian bible does not?
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 8:36:56 PM
addngkr wrote:
Investigator, I had read a column in quite an acclaimed newspaper here in India once by a Muslim columnist who had agreed to the reference of unethical violence in the Koran. And I don't think their actions of such brutal violence are rooted in just political ambitions!

What, pray tell, is ethical violence?
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 8:35:37 PM
Would anyone here care to take the position that the christian fundamentalists who burned, drowned and tortured hundreds of innocents in colonial new england were NOT terrorists?
The typical terrorist or terrorist group is properly considered a criminal entity and should be dealt with as such. Ergo, assuming that al-Qaeda was actually responsible for the destruction which occurred on 911, the event should have been treated as a criminal act and dealt with accordingly by the appropriate, international, police organizations.
State sponsored terrorism is quite another matter and is usually driven by non-religious causes unless, of course, the rogue state is governed by a theocracy. A secular terrorist state may still use religion as justification or motivation relative to certain segments of a population.
A perfect example of state sponsored terrorism would be the actions that have been and still are being taken by amerika, using the aforementioned 911 events as a pretext, which leaves one wondering. There is a clear historical record of many such terrorist "interventions" which have been undertaken by the u.s., particularly in central and south america.
The treatment of palestinians by the state of israel is a case of state sponsored terrorism producing criminal terrorism in response.
To say that atheistic anarchists who employ terrorist tactics are not fundamentalists is open to debate. A religious causative is not a prerequisite for fundamentalism. Secular fundamentalism is clearly demonstrated in a number of conditioned social attributes, nationalism or patriotism being the most obvious. Believers in laissez-faire, free market capitalism may also be classified as fundamentalists. In as much as their belief is entirely faith based, having no foundation in science or fact, it bears a strong similarity to a religion without actually being one.

So, since we're here at a dictionary website, why not just look up the definitions?

fundamentalism
n.
1. A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.
a. often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
b. Adherence to the theology of this movement.
(emphasis added)

Nope. No mention of terrorism here.

terrorist
n.
One that engages in acts or an act of terrorism.
adj.
Of or relating to terrorism.

Nothing about fundamentalism here.

So, it would seem that the original question is one that can be readily answered simply by accepting the basic definitions. However, it seems reasonable to postulate that any form of fundamentalism, however benevolent its origin, when taken to its extreme, should certainly be expected to result in terrorism.
Perhaps it would be appropriate to consider fundamentalism the cause and terrorism the effect.

”Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics”
C.J. Keyser

by-by now.
Topic: The U.S. Government
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:06:01 PM
Isaac Samuel wrote:
Your taking umbrage in my comparison of you with Glenn Beck augers well.

To me, you are still a baby albeit your 63 years of experience of learning,but yet I like to see your short list of books to rate
your level of critical thinking skills; and where it emanated from,unless it is an immaculate conception.

You might want to reconsider the construction of this pseudo-sentence.

Let us leave it at this and go on with the flow of the posts and settle our scores later,If need be. Thank you.

I tremble in the presence of such an enlightened being. If, at 63, I am yet only a "baby" in your eyes, I must conjecture that you are either an immortal living secretly among us, an alien visiting surreptitiously or perhaps just someone who uses the device of condescension to avoid the tedium of learning as opposed to the comfort of complacency.

“they must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority”
G. Massey, Egyptologist

Since I have no plans to "settle our scores", an ill considered phrase to be sure, I will terminate our communication, or lack thereof, with a very brief cross-section of a small segment of my library.
I would offer to send you PDF versions of some of the shorter works but somehow doubt you would bother to read them.

Stephen Zarlenga
The Lost Science of Money

Ayn Rand
Anthem
Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead

Malthus
An Essay on the Principle of Population
Nature and Progress of Rent

Authors' identities open to conjecture
The Bible
The Egyptian Book of the Dead
The Qur'an

James Russell Lowell
Abraham Lincoln

Benjamin Franklin
Franklin's Autobiography

The Constitution/Bill of Rights
James Madison et al

George Santayana
The Life of Reason

Howard Zinn
A People's History of the United States

John Kenneth Galbraith
A Short History of Financial Euphoria

John Maynard Keynes
The Consequences of the Peace
The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money

The Works of Adam Smith - Seven Volumes
The Theory of Moral Sentiments through The Correspondence.

Alexander Del Mar
A History of Money in Ancient Countries
The Science of Money

The Works of Thomas Jefferson - Twelve volumes

Karl Popper
Science, Conjectures and Refutations
The Open Society and Its Enemies
Objective Knowledge

Naomi Klein
No Logo
The Shock Doctrine

Friedrich Nietzche
Beyond Good & Evil
Thus Spake Zarthustra

Manly P. Hall
The Secret Teachings of All Ages

Michel Chossudovsky
Americas War on Terrorism

Michael Ruppert
Crossing the Rubicon

Eduardo Galeano
Open Veins of Latin America, Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent
Topic: The U.S. Government
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 7:11:46 PM
Isaac Samuel wrote:
ColdWarBaby:

While I admire your stern reprimand of gamerboy for misusing an English word and your lofty ideals as expounded to grammargeek in your second post, I am not ready to share your notions of our Nation, based on some of your out of context excerpts from very notable people in the History. Although I am a contrarian myself in my outlook , I try not to sound fatuous in my posts. Convince me more to give credence to your posts, before I write you off as Bill O'Reily or Glenn Beck. Welcome, Anyway.

I can only offer that my "fatuous" statements are the result of knowledge gleaned from sixty three years of experience and study, mostly independent of what passes for an "education" here.
Would you like a short list of reading materials that might broaden your awareness?
I am not interested in "convincing" anyone of anything other than the need to think critically and look beyond what is offered as truth.
I offer what I have learned and encourage others to expend as much effort in seeking knowledge.
Do the research and convince yourself unless you are comfortable with things as they are.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
J. Krishnamurti

By the way, you may be pleased to know that I take great umbrage at being compared, even remotely, with the likes of Beck et al.
Topic: Speaking of drugs
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 6:54:31 PM
Let me preface this comment with an acknowledgment of what could be considered a petty affectation. It may be noted that I habitually misspell certain words. This is intentional and is intended as an indication of my contempt and disgust for the institutions so treated.
Furthermore, some words not normally capitalized will be. They are words of true significance and should be given a much higher place in your awareness. Life. Peace. Freedom. Earth. You get the idea.

The disunited states of amerika has the largest proportional prison population of any "first world" country on Earth. Fully one in every one hundred adults is behind bars. This is more than were incarcerated in the soviet union at the height of its power.
This is due, in large part, to the privatization of the prison system. It also reflects the great success of the propaganda machine our school system and mass media has become. CEO's of multinational corporations, wall street moguls, money masters of every stripe who are responsible for unimaginable suffering, poverty, oppression and death are considered pillars of Society. International bankers, whose manipulation of commodity currencies causes disasters of a magnitude unimaginable to the complacent consumer zombies of amerika, are rewarded for such actions with even more wealth and power.
Meanwhile, people searching for some escape from a Life of desperation, created by the kapitalist profit machine, resort to desperate measures. In so doing, they become another commodity of the for-profit "justice system".
It should be noted that, as with health care, many nations which can be described as "social democracies" have much greater success dealing with their drug "problem" than does the u.s. I submit that the "war on drugs", as waged in amerika, is a source of great profit for many "respectable" business enterprises and will not end until such is no longer the case. Many banks willingly and knowingly launder drug money. Certain prestigious institutions of higher learning make money via investments in illicit drug trafficking.
There will be no improvement but rather a steady decline in the quality of life in this country as long as "profit" remains the motive for everything. Mammon has become the god of choice in amerika and the worship of money and power will be its demise.

“The Government should create, issue, and circulate all the currency and credits needed to satisfy the spending power of the Government and the buying power of consumers. By the adoption of these principles, the taxpayers will be saved immense sums of interest. Money will cease to be master and become the servant of humanity.”
Abraham Lincoln

“Capitalism is the legitimate racket of the ruling class.”
Al Capone