The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: dev_sircar
About
User Name: dev_sircar
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading,Travelling,Online Trading &c....
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 234
[0.03% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: JUNGLE STORIES
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:38:25 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Don't know if this is exactly about big game hunting, but,

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, a short story in The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling has fascinated me for decades.
A young and brave mongoose hunts down two cobras to protect a family it lives with.

Rudyard Kipling wrote those stories when he was in INDIA.
U would also be thrilled if u read FALSE DAWN by him, which was also written by him before he left INDIA as a young man and went back to England, never to return.

man's work is from Sun to Sun; woman's work is never done! - INDIRA GANDHI : Erstwhile Prime Minister of INDIA.
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:28:31 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello dev sircar!

We don't hear from you very often!

The only experience I have had with any books referring to big game hunting are a few of Wilbur Smith's books.
They were mainly involving a family of sailors and traders in Africa - who also hunted elephant for ivory.

U did not hear from me because I was having some wonderful experiences in life, in the interregnum, which I may narrate later.

Reverting to the TOPIC:
I would like to introduce u to MAN EATERS OF KUMAUN[Hillside INDIA] AND OTHER HUNTING TALES of JIM CORBETT also of SHIKAR [tiger hunting] by KENNETH ANDERSON in the jungles bordering BANGALURU[South INDIA],published as KENNETH ANDERSON OMNIBUS by RUPA [INDIA] Publications.I can assure u that u would be thrilled!
Eh?

man's work is from Sun to Sun; woman's work is never done! - INDIRA GANDHI : Erstwhile Prime Minister of INDIA.
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 9:02:42 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
dev_sircar wrote:
ARE YOU FOND OF READING SHIKAR[HUNTING, ESPECIALLY BIG GAME HUNTING] BOOKS?
IF YES, WHOSE BOOK WAS YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY? Anxious

No I have never heard of such a genre to be honest, I don't think the UK has a large market for books like that.

U may like CARPET SAHIB by MARTIN BOOTH [OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS] and after reading the Introduction, you would be drawn LIKE MAGNET to JIM CORBETT and his real life Shikar stories of MAN EATERS of KUMAUN [INDIAN HILL TOWN].U would also be dwawn to his philanthropic natureEh?

Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 9:32:16 AM
ARE YOU FOND OF READING SHIKAR[HUNTING, ESPECIALLY BIG GAME HUNTING] BOOKS?
IF YES, WHOSE BOOK WAS YOUR FAVOURITE AND WHY? Anxious

Topic: What Motivates you to be Good?
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 8:45:32 AM
"There is nothing like Good or Bad but thinking makes it so" - Oscar WildeBoo hoo!

Topic: Is God married?
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 8:49:56 AM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
dev sircar Agree. But, is God married?

BOTH: MARRIED AND UNMARRIED !!!Eh?

Topic: Is God married?
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:30:12 AM
pljames wrote:
I was told that God was once human then became God and has wife in heaven? Thoughts please? Curious-Paul

GOD is MALE or FEMALE or, for that matter, any other being [animate or inanimate]; all at the same time.
HE IS THE SUPREME SOUL and, hence, represents all souls : all creations [animate or inanimate] are part of THE SUPREME SOUL.
Anxious

Topic: use vs usage
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 1:51:20 AM
I do use Municipal water but keep the usage (not use) to Free Supply limit.

Topic: Bubonic Plague Death Prompts Quarantine in China
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:40:31 PM
thar wrote:
Bubonic plague, in its bubonic form, is spread from person to person by fleas and ticks on infected rodents. That is why it was such a threat in crowded unhygienic cities, but is not such a threat in most places now.
It is when it becomes pneumonic, and can be spread directly from person to person, that it is most dangerous.
Both forms have high mortality, but the risk contagion is different.

I humbly suggest you read BOCCACCIO's DECAMERON [First Day], to grasp the horror of the disease. Sick

Topic: sentence in False Dawn by Kipling
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:11:42 PM
mcurrent wrote:
Hi, everyone

I have very difficult sentence for understanding. Could you explain me the sense of thise

She dabbled her eyes with her pocket-handkerchief as we went along, and babbled to me out of sheer lightness of heart and hysteria. That was perfectly unnatural; and yet, it seemed all right at the time and in the place. All the world was only the two Copleigh girls, Saumarez and I, ringed in with the lightning and the dark; and the guidance of this misguided world seemed to lie in my hands.

I guess that "all the world" means "all used words"

Am I right in this?

But I can't understand sense of "ringed in with the lightning and the dark" and "the guidance of this misguided world seemed to lie in my hands"

Help me in these

Thanks in advance

I think you would get the right perspective if you know what false dawn is like. It is zodiacal light that precedes dawn of sunlight with quite a gap of time.

It is less easily seen in towns and cities but if one is in the forest – like a Shikari(Hunter) – one can find the animals feeding in the jungle, scurrying in false dawn to reach their nest/cave, before the Sun rise at dawn.

The intervening time is ethereal.Boo hoo!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.