Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 142
[0.02% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Spill or drop
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:16:09 AM
As far as I know, you spill liquids and drop objects.
Correct. If you dropped the bottle, chances are beer spilled all over the floor. Spilled[/i] can refer to solid objects as well meaning [i]scattered.
My loose change spilled out of my pocket and onto the floor.
Topic: Is this the most boring website ever?
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 8:13:01 AM
I totally agree with shivanand. This is one of my favorite forums for the eclectic and interesting threads from those of you who use it. Anyone curious about other cultures and how they use a language will find it informative and helpful. This brainy group often post questions and observations that lead to additional research in an attempt to understand the how and why of a particular thread.
Basically, I have been compelled by curiosity.
- Mary leakey, British scientist
Topic: Electronic language
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 7:41:44 AM
I thought this was an interesting question and found this thread on College Confidential.

There is really no "magic" language you can learn to help you. For example, you might learn Chinese now because you "heard" it could possibly help you, but when you graduate you go and work for BMW and they send you to Germany. Do you think Chinese is going to help you there?

Your career is almost certain to take twists and turns that you have no way of possibly anticipating now. It would be stupid to learn a language just because it could "help" you. Rather, learn a language because it interests you. In that way it will benefit you most.

Besides, with the way the world is going, if you learn English you should be okay. It is becoming increasingly common for people in other countries who work for major multinational corporations to be required to talk English.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=280660
Topic: "Excited at" and "Excited about"
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:30:52 AM
I've never heard of excited in as standard usage calls for excited about. If you mean “I am happy for you,” one could say “I’m excited for you.”
The writer should decide which one works best for the “meaning they want to convey.”
Topic: Etymology: the word 'word'
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:14:17 AM
Thank you Rogermue. I was not familiar with this English painter, Stephen Raw and his stunning images. His website includes a short DVD exploring 'language made visible.'

http://www.stephenraw.com/
Topic: Died
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:04:11 AM
Vladimir Lenin who died at the age of 54, would have been 142 years on April 10, had he been living.

Perhaps two sentences instead of one.
Vladimir Lenin died April 10 at the age of 54. Were he alive, he would be 142.
Topic: almost, just about. arrived, have arrived
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:53:05 AM
I almost arrived.
I have almost arrived.
I just about arrived.
I have just about arrived.

Suggest . . .
I am almost there . . . I am just a few miles away . . . I am just about there . . . It won't be long . . . I should arrive in about 10 minutes . . .
Topic: One person less or one person fewer?
Posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:57:13 AM
If someone needs 5 persons to do a job and I need only 4, then I need one person less; or one person fewer?

This is tricky. Normally I'd use fewer however less may be acceptable if you're referring to specific persons.

The answer is fewer.

Use fewer with objects that can be counted one-by-one.

There were fewer days below freezing last winter.

Use less with qualities or quantities that cannot be individually counted.
I drank less water than she did.

When referring to time or money, less is normally used even with numbers.
I have less time to do this work.
I have less money than I need.
I have less than twenty dollars.

Use fewer only in specific cases where individual items are referred to.

He worked fewer hours than I did.
Topic: Specifications of things?
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:11:16 AM

Can "how" come with any adjectives to ask about the Specifications of that thing?
"How +adjecitve"
For instance,

How weak are your eyesight? ---> It is so weak that I hardly see without glasses(Dancing )
How big is my subscription folder?---> It is so big that it can contain far too many threads.

Finally: Can these questions "To what extent can I save the threads in my account?" and "How far I can save the threads in my account?" convey the same thing of "How big is my subscription folder"?

How weak is your eyesight? It is so weak, I can hardly see without glasses.

How big is my subscription folder? It is too big and contains far too many threads.

Long may be used as an adverb meaning: to what extent
How long can I save the threads in my account?
Topic: Which sentence is better/more stylish?
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:37:34 AM
Which sentence is better?
Your question and its terminology sent me on a Wiki search and it's heavy reading.

Are you suggesting To understand Opus 131, think of it as a natural outgrowth of the romantische Naturphilosophie?

Wiki explains Naturphilosophie as follows:

If everything in nature is living, and if we ourselves are simply its most self-conscious representatives, the function of the artist is to delve within himself, and above all to delve within the dark and unconscious forces which move within him, and to bring these to consciousness by the most agonizing and violent internal struggle.

If the person reading or listening to your sentence may have little or no understanding of the terms you use, your point may be lost.

As nicely stated by the rest of you, keep it simple!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.