Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: English language
Home Page
Number of Posts: 1,001
[0.11% of all post / 0.34 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Did You Know? Series #2
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 12:08:56 AM
Thanks, thar, once again. I had not known the story about orange carrots and the Dutch. The story is entertaining.
The only carrots I had ever known were orange carrots.

Carrots in a range of colours, Wikipedia

It would be interesting to develop green, and blue carrots.
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:54:24 PM
Thanks for your historical notes, thar. I had not known anything about the royal couple.

The Wikipedia sentence was strange to me. It were kings with their armies that conquered and occupied at that time, I wondered why the sentence mentioned the Dutch prince's wife. Especially, why her name was specified, what did that matter. But, your comments clarified everything.

The sentence was funny to me because I erroneously made extrapolations from Croatian to English. The Wikipedia sentence, if literally translated to Croatian, would be locker room humor, to some people. I wouldn't like to sound vulgar, but some people could interpret that the Dutch royal involved (perhaps from opportunistic reasons) his wife in sexual affairs at British thrones.

I wonder if it would be acceptable to say in English something like:
He occupied me with his requests,
meaning, he gave me his requests and I was busy with acting on his requests.
If yes, then it seems to me that a locker room interpretation of the Wikipedia sentence cold be possible in English, too.

By the way, since "Orange" was mentioned, I had wondered for a long time why the Netherlands' football team wears orange jerseys. The Netherlands' flag is red, white and blue and I would expect one of these colors on their jerseys. It's only recently that I read somewhere that orange is the Dutch royal color.
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:41:22 PM
I don't remember I've ever tried gin.

I searched the Internet to see how you make gin, what's the difference between gin and brandy or whiskey. I don't know much about spirits but from what I red, you make gin in the same way you make brandy or whiskey. What distinguishes gin is that it's flavored with juniper. I've seen a recipe where you make gin by flavoring vodka.

I had a laugh reading the Wikipedia article about gin.
"Gin was developed based on the older Dutch liquor, jenever, and became popular in Great Britain (particularly in London) when William of Orange, leader of the Dutch Republic, occupied the English, Scottish, and Irish thrones with his wife Mary between 1689 and 1702."

A Dutch king occupied British thrones with his wife Mary. I interpreted this in a funny way. But that's probably because I am a bad ESL speaker.

This is how people, where I grew up (former Yugoslavia), make plum brandy at home.

Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:26:33 PM
What you are saying, Sarrriesfan, may be true.

I would say that coffee is the most popular beverage in the Americas and Europe. This is just my impression, I don't know any official numbers. The impression is from observing what people from different countries, that I have met, prefer to drink.

In Toronto we have a couple of chains of coffee shops but I don't know if there is any tea shop. When I say a tea shop, I mean something like Starbucks or Second Cup where they sell primarily tea.

Several years ago I watched a TV program about coffee and I heard two things which were interesting to me.
1. Coffee is the second (after crude oil) most valuable commodity exported by developing countries.
2. The price of a small coffee in Canada, at that time, was a little over $1 (nowadays, I think, it could be around $1.5). Only 1 cent of that price goes to coffee growers. I don't know if this is true, but that's what they said in the TV program. If true, this is shocking to me, this is very unfair to people who sweat in coffee fields.
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 1:20:09 AM
Several years ago I wondered why "mocha" is associated with coffee. It was interesting to learn that Mocha is the name of a port, in the Middle East, through which coffee was exported, in the past.
Topic: Had you been waiting
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 6:33:20 PM
Thanks NKM. I didn't understand thar's comments on the question.

In the scene that Helenej described, which of the following questions are grammatically not correct?

1. How long have you waited for the bus?
2. How long did you wait for the bus?
3. How long were you waiting for the bus?
4. How long have you been waiting for the bus? (correct, as NKM said)

What question is grammatically the most appropriate?
Topic: Ø, a or the spring?
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 9:25:12 PM
Thanks for the response, hedy mmm.
Topic: Charles Ponzi (1882)
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 5:27:12 PM
He looked like a nice man of that era, even on his prison photo.
Topic: Ø, a or the spring?
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 4:09:22 PM
The weather is nice.
1. You can feel spring in the air
2. You can feel a spring in the air
3. You can feel the spring in the air

What's the correct article here, Ø, a or the?
Topic: in or at
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 2:45:29 PM
This is a nice looking snow, Drag0nspeaker. Lucky you. You continue enjoying the beauties of winter. I just hope you didn't have difficulties coming to work.

Here in Toronto, you can feel spring in the air.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.