Interests: English language
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,182
[0.13% of all post / 0.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: sailing
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 3:27:19 AM
This reminded me of Sailing by Christopher Cross.
Topic: (the) Earth
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:47:41 PM
In addition to "Earth" and "the Earth" there's also "the earth".

Many species are in danger of vanishing from (the face of) the earth. (Webster)

For Earth's natural satelite, it's "the moon" or "the Moon". I don't remember ever seeing "Moon" (without an article).

In Jupiter's case, the moon is "Europa", not "the Europa". If our planet is "Earth" and Jupiter's moon is "Europa" why then Earth's moon could not be "Moon" (without an article)?

As far as the radius of Earth is concerned, my search in COCA gave this:
Earth's radius: 5 examples
Earth radius: 1 example

PS

I just realized, Jupiter's moon is Europa, not Europe, so my reference to Jupiter's moon in the context of the use of the definite article is not valid.
Topic: I called (for) an anbulance.
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:22:07 PM
I searched COCA and got the number of hits as follows:
Called an ambulance: 92
Called for an ambulance: 35
Called the ambulance: 33
Topic: A hammer and feather in vacuum
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 7:59:36 AM
Here is a story about the moon feathers. I don't know what Atlas Obscura (the source of the story) is, I just hope that their story is true.

Object of Intrigue: The Falcon Feather on the Moon

"Mission commander Dave Scott brought the feather to the moon in order to conduct an experiment.

Scott had been planning this experiment for the better part of a year. In January 1971, he and fellow Apollo 15 astronauts Jim Irwin and Al Worden visited the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, where they met the falcons that serve as the Academy’s mascots. Because their lunar module was named Falcon, they had decided to use a falcon feather for the Galileo experiment, and collected two feathers from an Academy bird during their visit.

As far as NASA knows, the hammer and the feather are still on the lunar surface— remnants of an experiment that had its origins in the 16th century, roughly 238,900 miles away."

Astronauts Worden, Scott, and Irwin with a falcon at the Air Force Academy in January 1971. (Photo: NASA)

The falcon feather left on the moon. (Photo: NASA)
Topic: Was
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:03:28 AM
"He was a good teacher." or "He was a healthy man." is okay but "He was a healthy weight." sounds strange to this ESL speaker.

I found on the Internet examples with "at a healthy weight" so I guess "He was at a healthy weight." could be an alternative expression.

I found these two examples with "have".

1. Did you know that you can have a healthy weight, but still be at increased risk?
(Heart & Stroke)

2. And so we're really going to focus on five areas, five very strategic areas that we think will make a difference, first, ensuring that children have a healthy weight when they start school.
(COCA)
Topic: sheet
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 2:36:02 PM
English is using the same word to describe spaces of different dimensions. That's questionable in mathematical sense.
(A sheet of paper can be simplified to a two-dimensional space and a mainsheet can be simplified to a one-dimensional space.)

Anyway, thanks, thar, for your comments. A line (rope) meaning of "sheet" is new to me.
Topic: have not thought vs. had not thought
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 12:00:41 PM
Hello all,

If someone asks: "What are you doing tonight?",
which of the following two answers is grammatically correct:
1) I have not thought about it.
2) I had not thought about it.

Topic: A hammer and feather in vacuum
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 2:55:23 PM
If you want to see a proof that a hammer and feather fall with the same speed in vacuum, you can see it at 1:47 into this video
Hear them sing 'Strolling on the moon' while on the moon.

I wonder how the astronauts got the feather. Did they bring it from the earth, just for the experiment? Anyway, a piece of paper would work instead of a feather.
Topic: Had gone, would be
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2019 12:34:25 AM
Thank you very much, guys, for your responses.
Topic: Law Day
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 11:34:18 PM
Did you hear about the terrorists who hijacked a 747 full of lawyers?
They threatened to release one every hour until their demands were met.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.