Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,150
[0.12% of all post / 0.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: swine
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 8:29:41 PM
thar wrote:
Swine - svín, Schwein etc is the common word for pig across Germanic and Norse Languages, and even into Russian and from the same root (though looking pretty different) in Ancient Greek and Persian.

It's "swine" in most Slavic languages.

Russian: свинья
Ukrainian: свині
Polish: świnia
Czech: svině
Slovakian: sviňa
Bulgarian: свине
Macedonian: свински
Serbian: свиња
Croatian: svinja
Topic: in or on
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 11:58:18 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
This is the historical British idea of sitting ON a train:

Sitting on a plane, the same idea. Choice of "on" is logical.
Topic: Salvatore Phillip "Sonny" Bono (1935)
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:28:50 PM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Needles and Pins

I like the song. My favorite rendition is The Searchers'. I didn't know that Sonny cowrote the song.

Before reading the TFD article I had the wrong impression that Sonny was a celebrity because of Cher.
Topic: prune
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 9:15:05 PM
The post deleted by the owner.
Topic: Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 8:57:11 PM
Daemon wrote:
Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.

Washington Irving (1783-1859)

Social utopism! Unrequited love hurts and it's never forgotten.
Topic: Anthracite Coal First Burned as Residential Heating Fuel (1808)
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 1:09:06 PM
Anthracite derives from the Greek anthrakítēs (ἀνθρακίτης), literally "coal-like".

The common term for Anthracite, where I was born and raised (former Yugoslavia), translates literally to "stone coal". In the place where I grew up, we mined mostly lignite. That "lignite" in thar's post reminded me of my youth, and I also realized that I had never learned the origin of the word.

lignite (n.)

"imperfectly formed coal," 1808, from French, from Latin lignum "wood" (see ligni-). Brown coal that still shows traces of the wood it once was. Probably directly from Lithanthrax Lignius, name given to woody coal by Swedish chemist Johan Gottschalk Wallerius (1709-1785) in 1775.

ligni-

sometimes ligno-, word-forming element used from late 19c. and meaning "wood," from Latin lignum "wood (for fuel or construction), firewood," from PIE *leg-no-, literally "that which is collected," from root *leg- (1) "to collect, gather." Related: Lignify; lignification.

As remembrance of times past, here are two pictures.

The steam engine was once part of technological revolution. The one in the picture is not particularly environmentally friendly.

Interior of a2 class steam locomotive cabin with driver at controls and fireman shovelling coal into firebox

The origin of word "chauffeur" is related to the steam engine.

chauffeur (n.)

1896, "a motorist," from French chauffeur, literally "stoker," operator of a steam engine, French nickname for early motorists, from chauffer "to heat," from Old French chaufer "to heat, warm up; to become hot" (see chafe). The first motor-cars were steam-driven. Sense of "professional or paid driver of a private motor car" is from 1902.

The '95 Duryea wagon, which won the Chicago contest last Fall, was exhibited at the Detroit Horse Show last week. Charles B. King, treasurer of the American Motor League, acted as "chauffeur," as the French say. ["The Horseless Age," April 1896]
Topic: window-shopping
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 5:06:19 PM
"You're always window shopping but never stopping to buy"
(Georgy Girl)
Topic: Elemental: the periodic table at 150
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:38:33 AM
I like this T-shirt.
Topic: fritter
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:02:36 AM
"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way"
Topic: Elemental: the periodic table at 150
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 8:11:44 PM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
, as chemical elements don't go anywhere from the planet,

Hydrogen and helium do (Atmospheric escape). But hydrogen is not a problem, we have have a lot of hydrogen.

Helium can be a problem. We don't have much helium and once helium is released to the air it's gone forever. It eventually escapes to outer space.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.