[0.13% of all post / 0.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: don't get me started
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 6:34:09 PM
Molly Shannon, SNL
Topic: bemoan
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:56:50 PM
WeaselADAPT wrote:
I bemoan my inability to spend more time on thefreedictionary.com!
the Weasel

I spend too much time on TFD. I should be doing other things.
Topic: a/the seemingly infinite number of
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:56:04 PM
Numbers of examples in COCA are as follows.

"a seemingly infinite number of" 4
"the seemingly infinite number of" 2

PS

I would tend to use "a seemingly infinite number", because I think that "infinite number" is not defined in mathematics and there's no precise definition of it in everyday speech.

In mathematics, there are different kinds of infinite sets (N,Z,R). So, we should not use "the infinite number" unless we specify what we mean.

In everyday speech, "infinite number" usually means a huge number, greater than any finite number. So, to me, "infinite number" is a number.

Topic: told vs had told
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:11:30 AM
Thanks, thar, for your response.
Topic: told vs had told
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 2:40:49 PM
I read a couple of web pages (British Council, ESL/Base,English Grammar) about the use of "I wish" and my conclusion is this:
1) I wish you had told her. (I wanted you to tell her but you didn't do it.)
2) I wish you would tell her. (I would like you to tell her.)

It seems to me that I wish you told her is not used. But I don't understand what's grammatically wrong with this expression.
Topic: Dr. No, the First James Bond Film, Is Released (1962)
Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2019 6:30:16 PM
I might be wrong but what I remember is that the people who lived across the island were afraid to go to the island because they thought there was a dragon spouting fire there. James Bond, of course, is not afraid, he goes to the island and he meets there a beautiful girl collecting shells.

Things like that happen only to James Bond.

Who can forget that girl?

Topic: preposition
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 4:29:41 PM
BobShilling wrote:
Romany wrote:

"mastery" is uncountable - so the "a" needs to go.

It can be countable. Here are several examples of countable 'mastery'.

Hello, BobShilling,

Would you use the indefinite article a in the sentence in the original post?
Topic: Mimicing a doppelgänger
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 2:29:01 PM
Coincidentally, I learned recently the word "fetch", of which "doppelgänger" is a synonym.

"Nixon had left Dallas that morning, after speaking to a group of soft-drink bottlers. He had landed at Idlewild Airport and was in a taxi, heading toward his new Manhattan home, when a pedestrian cried out the gruesome tidings. The doorman at his building confirmed it. His rival was dead, the fetch dispelled."
(my emphasis added)

This excerpt from the book "Richard Nixon, The Life" describes how Nixon learned of the assassination of Kennedy.

It took me some time to figure out what "the fetch dispelled" meant. The only meaning of "fetch", I had known, was the word's verb meaning.
Topic: A hammer and feather in vacuum
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 4:03:15 PM
Some other interesting things about the moon.

The compass does not work on the moon. The moon does not have a magnetic field like the earth.

The moon moves away from the earth at a rate of about 4cm per year. (That's the present-day rate.)

It takes about 1 second for light to travel from the moon to the earth, 8 minutes from the sun and 4 years from the closest star (Proxima Centauri).
Topic: give it a zucc
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 11:40:27 AM
Since there's food in the picture, I thought zucc might have something to do with zucchini.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.