User Name: Anktsunamunh
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 60
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The Octothorpe
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:43:16 PM
In México we call it "gato" (cat), because it's the same symbol used as the starting point to play Tic-tac-toe, which in México is also called "gato".
Topic: 'Early Morning-ing '
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:09:19 PM
We use the "-ing" ending to talk about actions in progress, but it is also used to transform a noun or a subject (in this case "early morning") into an action (a verb). So, "early morning-ing" is "the action of (waking up) in the early morning" or "waking up early in the morning".
Topic: Irrational Imitative Behaviour
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 12:35:08 PM
"Repetitive speech" or "Repetitive Speech Patterns", maybe?
Topic: 'look behind you'
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 12:29:49 PM
You could say "Look ahead!"
Topic: The Hunger games
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 7:35:17 PM
There is a Science Fiction - Steampunk movie called "The Nickel Children". Children are used as gladiatiors there. (I've only seen the trailer, and right now I'm trying to obtain the movie).
Topic: 'honorificabilitudinitatibus'
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:20:55 PM
The state of being able to achieve honours
Topic: Sentences that are statements?
Posted: Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:25:24 AM
abcxyz:
Thanks! I think you've found the exact clue to say if a sentence is a statement (a declaration) or not: the possibility of being judged as true, false (or even possible).

jacobusmaximus:
1) No, I didn't know the answer, it was a real query. My last post was purely an evaluative response after the comments.

2) If your sentence had only been "Ank, you knew all the time", it would be a statement, for sure, for it would have been a declaration that could have been qualified either as true, false or possible.

- The last part "Didn't you?" is a closed question per se (a question that that requires a yes or no answer and is useful for checking facts), hence it is not a statement (if we follow abcxyz's contribution, a question can never be qualified as true or false).

- Now, the whole sentence ("Ank, you knew all the time, didn't you?") is a type of question called "question tag" (by British grammarians) or "tag question" (by their American cunterparts): a grammatical structure in which a declarative statement or an imperative is turned into a question by adding an interrogative fragment (the "tag"). This type of questions can be an indicator of politeness, emphasis, or irony, and they are sometimes also called "leading questions" (specially in legal settings) because they are mostly used to gain acceptance of your view or opinion. So, if the conclusions were correct, "Ank, you knew all the time, didn't you?" is grammatically a question, not a statement.
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:06:41 PM
So, a statement is always a declaration of something, be it an affirmation or a negation, while a sentence can be a declaration, an exclamation or a question.

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. Don't forget to smile.
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:03:21 PM
Hi everyone!

I was reading a punctuation guide provided by "TOOTS" (a member of these forums), which you can find at: http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/punctuationtext.htm. In the "Full stops [.]" section it says:

Full stops (periods in the USA) go at the end of sentences that are statements.

What's the difference between "sentence" and "statement"? Are there sentences that are not statements?
Topic: What's your favorite on line free game?
Posted: Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:50:04 PM
Allods.