User Name: Akelbee
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 33
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Looking for a word to describe a person who doesn't understand parody or scifi.
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:18:52 PM
I wonder is there really a contradiction between imagination and being pedantic?

One might in my mind be imaginative, but still a pedant in the way one shoot down "balloons" - sometimes for the good of it since the devil might often be in the details.

A pedant will have troubles in getting outside of the norms and systems he addhers to - and for him it has a special value to addhere to it all - but still ... I'm not quite convinced that "pedant" is the best term relating to the missile issue. In my mind a pedant may within his limits and set system, find facts and methods hitherto not realised by others, and I'm quite conviced that one will find many examples of great scientist who broke important new ground who were pedantic in their approach and methods. Isn't the definition "Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules" whery much a description of many scientists?
Topic: "Thank you for your custom"
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:51:12 PM
I recently ordered a CD from a UK net shop, and then got a confirmation letter that amongst other had the following text: "This is a courtesy e-mail to thank you for your order placed through amazon for ..... CD Album. I also want to confirm that the cd has been shipped to you today via Royal Mail international air mail delivery. Please look out for the package in your mail in the near future. Thank you for your custom, it's very much appreciated."

Is the use of "custom" in this context correct?
Topic: puzzle over or puzzle with
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 1:07:33 AM
I have read the sentence "During the years I have also been puzzling with the theme of <psychological concept>", and I wonder whether the use of "with" is correct in this context.

I would rather have thought that is should be "puzzling over" when one is pondering over a problem in an effort to solve or understand it, and that "puzzling with" is more correct if one is working with a physical puzzle of some kind or with a mental challenge that has more clearly been presented as puzzle just for the fun of it.

What do native english speakers of this forum think about this?

Besides I very often feel uncertain about what is the most correct way of structuring a sentence like this. Could one also as well say "I have during the years also been ...."?

Thanks!

Topic: "of so"
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:32:09 AM
"Word of Today" is "Strangulate", defined as: "(verb) Kill by squeezing the throat of so as to cut off the air."

What is the function of "of" in this definition? Couldn't it be left out - or is there perhaps missing a "somebody" after it?
Topic: Is this person nuts-or what?
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:02:24 PM
MTC wrote:
I will admit to being deeply divided on the issue of the dog: Principle conflicts with raw emotion.

.... The answer is simple. Human beings are the dominant species. "It's only a dog," right? We think nothing of putting an animal down. It is our unquestioned right. Challenging this bedrock assumption of society invites outrage, as it has done in Bardot's case.

Yes, because Bardot is then leaving humanity. It has been noted by athropologists that this may be the one single factor that unites all humans on the earth, the sence of being the superior being on the earth. We have over one and half century seen what emotions have been raised when the distance in this respect has been diminished in relation to apes - and now B.B. wants to make a dog our peer.

Nature has long been known as "eat or be eaten". Sivilisation is rather "eat and be eaten" - dogs has to learn that, me thinks.

Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:51:58 PM
kazi wrote:
Put the dog in a den of lions for its fate to be decided.

I guess you mean "... for its face to be decided" (like the girl).
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 5:10:08 PM
- or (perhaps also turning this into a language issue?) should that rather be "... for her animality"?
Topic: "Being sexual"
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 5:42:32 PM
OK. Thanks. Do I understand you correct that "being sexual" could be fairly synonymous with "acting sensually"?
The specific context is a simple question/statement in a survey I'm translating: "I have to feel emotionally close to my partner before being sexual".
Topic: In The Spirit Of The Free Dictionary Forum
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 4:56:21 PM
Helpfulness
Knowledge
Diversity
Creativity
Mindopening
Topic: "Being sexual"
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 4:49:54 PM
What does the term "being sexual" mean?

(Yes, I know from watching some presidents that definitions in this field may not be very easy....)

First of all I will guess that this is not an antonym to being asexual.

I would further presume that the term include performing physical acts of a erotic/sexual nature, but does it also include just
- speaking sexual language?
- having sexual emotions/thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.