Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Ancient Greek
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:28:34 AM
Dear S3Callyx,

Thank you so much for your reply. I read your posts on the other page and found them fascinating.

Let me tell you why I asked about studying Ancient Greek in Greece. I majored in Ancient Greek in college and now teach Latin and Greek at a college preparatory school in the US. When I started teaching Greek in addition to Latin about three years ago, I needed to refresh my Greek, since I hadn't thought much about it in decades (I'm 52). My school is very generous with professional development grants. I wanted to spend a summer studying Greek in Greece, but I was completely unable to find a way to do this! I eventually located a tutor in Chania, a young woman who actually also worked at a frontisteria, and I met with her daily for about five weeks. This helped, but I would really like to pursue further study and get my Greek back up to its former level (reading literature-- I teach Homer, Xenophon, and Plato mainly, and I would like to become much more adept and knowledgeable with these and other authors). I would like to devote a sabbatical term to doing this, preferably at an educational institution in Greece with a stature that will convince my school to fund this.

I am a big Greece-lover; I also spent a summer there during college, at the American School for Classical Studies in Athens, and my son (now 23) actually spent a year of his high school in Crete at a special program (he loves Greece and all things Greek also). So any suggestions you could offer as to how I could futher my Greek education (or re-education) while living in Greece would be very much appreciated!

Thanks again.
Topic: Studying Latin in Italy
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 10:10:37 AM
Thanks. It amazes me how hard it is to study Latin in Italy or Ancient Greek in Greece!
Topic: Ancient Greek
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:26:20 PM
Does anyone know how/where I could study Ancient Greek in Greece? I am a teacher and would like to spend a summer or sabbatical semester doing this. Thanks!
Topic: Studying Latin in Italy
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:24:35 PM
Does anyone know how/where I could study advanced Latin in Italy? I did Reggie Foster's summer course in Rome years ago, but he is no longer teaching in Rome. I would like to spend another summer or even a sabbatical semester in Italy doing this. Thanks!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.