User Name: HWNN1961
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,496
[0.39% of all post / 1.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What on earth is going on in my country?
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:14:47 AM
What indeed?

No unions? The heck with them.

Any corporation, you are people. Never mind 100 years of settled law. Farg it.

The hell with all of it.

Let us damn it. Let us.

Maybe America will let them eat cake.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
Topic: The Gin Craze
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:31:35 PM
Geez, what's all this outrage against Gin?

I mean, it's a game, a social get-together. What on earth can be wrong with a freindly game of cards.

What is the world coming to!!

ooohhhhhh. Gin....the drink. Alcohol. Public drunkeness...

never mind.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
Topic: Hell is Repetition
Posted: Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:29:25 PM
Last week I watched another woebegone, snake-bit, run-down, low-rent, no excuse team called the Detroit Lions lose on the very last play of the game to Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts. I felt awful for the Lions. They outplayed the Colts the whole game, but they could not give them the Cul-de-gras. Their pennace was to give up a last second touchdown and find yet another way to lose.

That is how bad teams do it. The circumstances change, the anti-heroes are different, there are new goats, new flubs, and new lows. But, the bottom line is another loss that should have been a win.

Honestly, I felt empathy for Detroit based on my on teams impressive resume of futility. No one finds new ways to lose quite like my intrepid heroes. My Buffalo Bills used to circle the wagons...now, they have circular firing squads.

Today, they gave up a monumental 14 play drive to the Rams that began with barely 5 minutes remaining. Twice they had opportunities to intercept the ball and end the game. Both times the ball fell to the ground. Meanwhile, in the cold rain, Ram receivers suddenly became sure handed, and caught balls they had no business catching. In the end, with less than a minute left, the game winning touchdown ended the fool's gold that was Buffalo's waning playoff hopes.

Not with a bang, but with a whimper. Not with a blinding flash, but with a slow diming of the lights.

Good night Chestie, wherever you are!

Topic: Optimism For the Arab Spring
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:50:34 PM
First of all,

Even if the entire experiment were to fail, to fall into failed states, a swapping of one dictator for another, or even Islamist states, the risk:

Democracy for the downtrodden, even if they ultimately disagree with the West....

Would be worth it. Just the chance to let people that have never, ever had a say in their own lives, stand up and be counted.

I am all for it. It is the right thing to do. Not to bribe compliant dictators with bribes we call "foreign aid"...but to let the fresh air of open government prevail, or have a chance to.

1. Egypt. People 1, Morsi 0. He has backed off on his dictatorial power grab. Egyptians didn't protest and risk their lives to simply replace a secular dictator (Mubarak) with an Islmamist one (Morsi). My guess is that the Egyptian military exerted pressure behind the scenes...bue, they did so because of the mayhem raised by people that stood up, flexed their muscle, and realized that they are strong.

THAT is the Arab Spring in action.

2. Libya. In the phoney, politically driven pseudo-scandal surrounding the Benghazi tragedy, what has been lost in the shouting match is that the Libyan people literally rose up against the islamists among them. They rejected them. Does this mean the bad actors are gone? No. But, to focus simply on one terrorist act while ignoring that fact isn't fair to their revolution.

I say, good on them. These are people and they deserve a say in their fate. They deserve democracy. They may make bad decisions once in power. They have a right to try.

Topic: Thank goodness the US election is over and we can all get back to normal…
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:31:00 PM
That's easy Lost.

And, I must again commend you on your choice of handle/nickname.

President Obama holds aces. He's got th winning hand.

If nothing gets done, the Bush tax cuts are repealed. Funny, we call it a "fiscal cliff" as though the Mayans were really American taxation conservatives in disguise. Don't fear the reaper! When the Clinton rates were in effect, the American economy boomed. I say, bring it on!

The President will, in January, then promote a new law to re-instate tax cuts for the first $250,000 in income. Everyone will get a tax break. Even rich people, just not on all of their income, only some.

So, the President, treated like dirt by the Republicans in Congress since 2010 is putting it right back into their teeth.

He ran on higher tax rates for the rich.

He won.

He'll now make good on his campaign pledge.

He will wipe up the floor with the opposition.

If this equals racism in your book, then I'm racist. And, I'm having the time of my life!!!

Topic: rebuff
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:13:48 AM
Rebuff:

Alternative definition:

Ahhnold was very Buff, he became a soft and a flabby man. He went to the gym and become a manly man agan.

So, he was rebuff.

Hear me now, believe me later, and never listen to me again.

Topic: When should photographers drop their cameras?
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2012 12:58:10 AM
Teluu,

That's rather easy. About the time you see someone hanging on to the edge in front of a subway.

The overwhelming urge should be "!! drop the camera, run, save a life!!".

Instead we have a picture moments before the death.

I'd be more forgiving if there was no picture, just a grieving eye-witness account....

Topic: Where is Winter....Season Number Two
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2012 12:42:19 AM
So far, no sonw.

I'm in Buffalo for Pete's sake!

This is two years in a row now.

I don't deny that warm winters happened in years past. I do affirm that they were never THIS warm.

I don't deny that bad winters haven't or won't occur now or in the recent past, but, I do affirm that they are not nearly as bad as a couple of decades ago.

Welcome to global warming, friends. I'm living it.

Topic: Thank goodness the US election is over and we can all get back to normal…
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2012 12:32:31 AM
RuthP wrote, in reply to Christine:

What is normal:

I answer: statistics lie, and liars quote statistics. I used to thing that wrapping ones oily body in the flag was the last refuge of a cad. I know better now. Quoting a half-truth dressed up in the guise of mathematics is much worse.

Consider:

1, President Obama inherited the Banking Collapse. He continued G.W.'s policy of guaranteeing bad debts with Treasury backing. This policy was a bi-partisan recognition that the ecomomy of the world would fold if government action didn't restore stability. The TARP policy largely worked. It became necessary before Obama even took office.

2. There was one unnecessary war (Iraq) and one neglected war (Afghanistan) that were under way when the newly-minted Obama administration took office. They were costing a combined 4 billion dollars every two weeks.

If that radical black man with his uppity wife had just cut bait and run...what would conservatives say?

No, Obama had no choice but to continue Bush policies well into his first term.

At a cost of Billions. Maybe trillions.

3. The Great Recession. The Obama Stimulus Package cost 800 Billion dollars. No reputable economist would deny that this, combined with TARP, were the reason we aren't all starving in the New Great Depression right now.

Sorry. Obama's only war was in Libya, and it cost less than at billion. Not a trillion, a billion.

The black man is cleaning up G.W.'s mess.

And. Now that he won in a landslide....

He's gonna clean the floor with you.

Topic: Hell is Repetition
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:19:49 PM
Victory at this stage:

The result is relief more that it is exaltation.

The Bills, once considered a viable playoff team by some at least, have beaten a team that they should beat on their home turf.

Good for them. It felt good. Finally, they played a complete game and dispatched a lesser foe with relative ease. Would that they had done more of this earlier.

As it stands, progress now would be a modest winning streak. Win against a beatable St. Louis Rams team at home next week. Knock off a tough Seattle team in Toronto the following week.

I have almost forgotten what winning 3 games in a row feels like. Remind me. Also, at 7-7, the coach, his staff, and the General Manager may well save their jobs.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.