Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,143
[0.13% of all post / 0.39 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Fifty shades of grey
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:54:20 AM
rogermue wrote:
Sorry, that I used the British spelling 'grey' and not the American spelling 'gray'.

I think you should use 'grey' and be proud of doing so.
Topic: Fifty shades of grey
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:52:32 AM
The arrival of e-readers has increased sales of erotica. Busy people, especially women, are more inclined to read it, given the privacy the e-reader offers.
Who hasn't seen someone reading a book, and tried to view the title?
Who hasn't read an iffy title, and not tried to stop others spying?

Percival, regarding your comments about sex in novels, are you trying to tell us you're a 19th C. time traveller?
(if you reply, please don't be pedantic - I realise sex has always been in literature, just sometimes to a lesser degree)
Topic: Pteromerhanophobia
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:34:42 AM
almostfreebird wrote:
dingdong wrote:
A drug will give you other problems, and then the druggists will say you need another drug, and so on. The drug industry is not interested in curing problems, it is interested in making money, and lots of it.
To suggest you take a drug is bad advice, and I hope you (or whoever) ignore it.

Really?

I have a seasonal allergic rhinitis and a decongestant drug is very helpful and it doesn't give me other problems.

Haha - how do you know? When you have a symptom you already have the problem.

My point, of course, was that getting on a plane is not a sickness.
Topic: Pteromerhanophobia
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:15:59 AM
A drug will give you other problems, and then the druggists will say you need another drug, and so on. The drug industry is not interested in curing problems, it is interested in making money, and lots of it.
To suggest you take a drug is bad advice, and I hope you (or whoever) ignore it.

The best solution is simply face it. Go onboard with a positive attitude, and believe you will enjoy the experience.

So, Romany, the end is in sight. I hope you have only good memories.

Topic: Spelling dilemna
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:28:14 AM
DavidScott wrote:
I'm flabbergasted. I have only ever known it as dilemna. I'm sure that if I had come across dilemma, I would remember, as I would have had to look it up. It will always be "dilemna" to me. Perhaps the word isn't that common in literature or elsewhere, because I would think I'd have seen this alternate spelling.

Yes, it's fascinating that those who are flabbergasted don't know why they think dilemna is correct.
Topic: Common sense
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:23:07 AM
By the way, did you put this topic in politics for a reason?
Topic: Common sense
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:21:16 AM
If I was giving this topic to students, I would start by asking each student to think of one example of something they do where they don't use common sense. You could end up a good debate.
Topic: North Korea to launch Long Range Missiles
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:12:58 AM
Tovarish wrote:
It is an amazing thing with countries that choose nuclear weapons over feeding their people.

There is an old Aussie saying 'They would rather a fight than a feed'.

Australia doesn't have nuclear weapons and was going rather soft on nuclear electricity generators, until the tragedy in Japan.

We do have nuclear medicine, and sell uranium to countries in the Non proliferation Treaty.

Tov, yes, indeed. Strange things happen, at least to a reasonable mind, when power-obsessives, megalomaniacs, and utter nutcases get ultimate control. Think Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Idi Amin etc.
Topic: Is there a culture that considers this normal?
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:43:58 AM
Dusty. I see nothing peculiar here. Discussing toasters does it for me.
Topic: North Korea to launch Long Range Missiles
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:54:39 AM
It's blast-off. No one knows exactly when they're going to launch, although Aljazeera says it'll be in the next 5 days. They'll probably do it on the 15th, when it's the 100th anniversary of the birth of the first Kim (the great one, that is, not the one who imbibed fine brandy while his people starved).

I live in the Phils, and am in some danger. Also, the Phils is having a spat with China. My God - David and Goliath.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.