Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 322
[0.04% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Feu de Bengale
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 6:26:06 PM
Pourquoi dit-on feu "de Bengale"?

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." (M. K. Gandhi)
Topic: until the owner died
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:21:07 AM

The town is in decline. The furniture store seems abandoned. The doors are locked and the owner lives in Florida.

Only when he dies will it be opened by his heirs or whomever his estate executor deems entitled to manage his assets.

Topic: Usage du pronom réfléchi
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:54:00 PM
Merci bien, Sandra.
J'me disais, aussi...

Topic: Usage du pronom réfléchi
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:04:42 AM
Quelle formulation est préférable, et y a-t-il une règle à ce sujet:

- Je vais me brosser les dents.

ou:

- Je vais brosser mes dents.

Merci à l'avance.

Topic: what does it mean
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:39:28 PM
Could it refer to the "Silver Slugger Award"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Slugger_Award

Topic: Old Dog
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:04:12 PM
Babezy wrote:
We have an old golden retriever; he'll turn 14 in June. My husband is thinking that it may be time to have him put down, but neither of us is sure. I can't ask advice from my relatives because a) there's a family history of keeping pets alive WAY past the point where it's kind, and b) my senior citizen mom identifies with the dog and keeps asking if that's how we plan to treat her in a few years. So could you give me your thoughts?

The dog has some arthritis and doesn't like stairs very much, and he can't see too well. He also has developed insomnia and he's dependent on me. This means he'll get up 1-3 times a night and need encouragement up the stairs, with certain lights turned on for the trip up and other lights on for the trip back down. When he gets outside, he usually doesn't want to go down the porch steps, so he pees and poops on the porch. I'm the only one working, so after a busy night with him, I'm dead tired (and no, no one else can do the night shift--my husband is hopeless and I wouldn't ask the kids). Occasionally I have to take a day off work to catch up on sleep, which isn't good for job stability, but sometimes I'm sure I can't drive without falling totally asleep. I sleep on the couch because the dog can't make it up the stairs to the bedroom and he gets loud and desperate if he can't sleep somewhere near me. [He's too big to carry.]

On the other hand, the dog isn't in any day-to-day pain as far as we can tell, and he's still lively enough when he's awake. He'll walk a short distance around the property with us, for example. And he goes through stretches of a week or more when he sleeps all night.

Sorry to go on so long. Is it time, or not yet?
Thanks.

How prompt we are at judgin

Topic: 'hypocorism'
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:53:24 PM
Have you thought about using The Free Dictionary, by Farlex?

Topic: "dissensus"- & "nonsensus"
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:08:25 PM
These words are in latin:

dissensus :

1 - past participle of dissentio: to disagree
2 - dissensŭs: dissent

nonsensus:

I did not find nonsensus in one word in my latin dictionary, but it is formed with two latin words, non, no, and sensus, sense. Hence, it means nonsense.

These words do exist. They have been adopted by many western languages, and are widely used in legal and medical contexts. If you are a medical or life sciences student, you will encounter a lot of latin words in your studies.

Topic: its horrible!! sorry the article is in french
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:41:17 PM
Here is my translation of Sabrina's article:

Zine El Abidine Ben Ali (Tunisia), who was recently ousted by the Tunisian people, was 74 years old; Hosni Mubarak (Egypt), who fell prey to a robust wave of mass protest, is 82 years old; Abdelaziz Bouteflika (Algeria), President of a country showing all the symptoms of a revolt, is 73; Mouammar El Gueddafi (Lybia), who has been in power for over 40 years, is 69.

The average age of these old presidents of countries with young populations is a merry 76 years old!!! The list of gerontocrats in power in Arab and African countries with young majorities is obviously longer, but it sheds sufficient light on this problem: the disconnect between overly aged rulers and the new generations aspiring to new governance models, greater social justice, and more involvement in their country's governance.

Repression having being ingrained into their lengthy dictatorial careers as the sole possible answer to those doomed to question them, these gerontocrats obviously constitute an obstacle to democracy and an obstruction to the institution of legal public debate.

To shed light on the effects of aged rulers over the democratization efforts of their citizens, below is a list of younger rulers who nevertheless govern populations much more elderly than those of the above Arab and African nations:

- Barak Obama (USA) only 48 years old;
- David Cameron (United Kingtom) 43 years;
- Dimitri Medvedev (Russia) 45 years;
- Stephen Harper (Canada) 51 years;
- Julia Gillard (Australia) 49 years;
- Nicolas Sarkozy (France) 55 years;
- Luis Zapatero (Spain) 49 years;
- Jose Socrates (Portugal) 53 years;
- Angela Merkel (Germany) 56 years;
- Herman Van Rompuy (Belgium) 52 years.

Hence an average age of 51 years old. There is an abyssal age margin of some 25 years between the above mentioned Arab and African rulers and these great leaders of great democracies.

Topic: modality!
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:45:39 AM
necessity - besoin
obligation – contrainte, coercition, charge, corvée, devoir
permission – permission, approbation, autorisation, consentement, droit, licence
prohibition – interdiction, proscription, censure, défense
advice – conseil, recommendation, avertissement, incitation, mise en garde
request – demande, requête, supplique, prière, sollicitation

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.