Home Page http://www.leventgoktem.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 303
[0.04% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The responsibilities of interest
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:39:46 AM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
It's speaking of additional or new responsibilities that an employee may show an interest in.

Thank you, Wilmar!
Topic: The responsibilities of interest
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 11:06:08 AM
Hi,

What does "responsibilities of interest" mean, please?
How can you paraphrase the highlighted sentence?

Topic: The informal knw-how
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 3:14:12 AM
Hi,

What does "informal know-how" mean, please?

Topic: I have a friend at...
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 1:55:01 AM
Thank you, Thar.
Topic: I have a friend at...
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:28:48 AM
Hello,
What does the author say in the highlighted sentence?
He has a friend at vendor B, okay.
He respects her, okay.
That may speak well of the company. "That"? Who is "that"? Shouldn't it be "she"?
Is "that" having a friend at that vendor?
How can "having a friend there" may speak well of the company?
And whose company? Vendor's or the author's? And why does "it" color his judgement?

So, I don't understand what he tries to say.
Could you please help to paraphrase?

Topic: The inner resources
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 5:05:34 AM
AndEng wrote:
Hi Tomahawk71,

I read the highlighted part as follow:

"......Although he had a clear, strong inclination to social life, being a friendly and responsive person to others, he didn't lack mental, spiritual, intimate (inner) qualities, capabilities, ingenuity (resources)....."

The picture of the match alone in a box at the end of the excerpt is very illustrative. The "inclination of a match" is to radiate its light around it, to brighten the world outside itself. It does possess this inner intimate capability, resource, quality, which, nevertheless, is made to light the outer world, to enliven, cheer up, animate other people.

Hope this helps.
AE

Thank you! That really helps!
Applause
Topic: The inner resources
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 1:26:22 AM
Could you paraphrase the part in bold letters?

Quote:
The young man, a baron not very high up in the country’s nobility, held a government position,
and had secured this short vacation not because he required it particularly, but because his colleagues had all
got a week off in spring and he saw no reason for making a present of his “week off” to the government.
Although not without inner resources, he was a thoroughly social being, his sociability
being the very quality for which his friends liked him and for which he was welcomed in all circles.
He was quite conscious of his inability to stay by himself and had no inclination to meet himself,
as it were, but rather avoided his own company, feeling not the least urge to become intimately
acquainted with his own soul. He knew he required contact with other human beings to kindle his
talents and stir up the warmth and exuberance of his spirits. Alone he was like a match in a box, frosty and useless.

--Zweig.
Topic: What the... What is that? Why?
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:02:31 AM
thar wrote:
***Not a useful answer***

This writer struggles to say anything coherent!

If that is the only bit you don't understand, I think you already have the gist. I think the next sentence just restates the part in bold. Equally nonsensically. Whistle

Just read it, nod wisely and walk away.

Sorry I can't be of any help. Seriously, I am not seeing it!

For other sentences, I can made up meanings but that part in bold... no, no, no. :)
Topic: What the... What is that? Why?
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:38:41 AM
Life is so short and complicated. What does this author struggle to say here in bold sentence?

By performing past places in one's present place, one incorporates past narratives into present narratives rather than layering one place over another. A link between places is made that changes the stories of both places in a present-past place. Urban design professor Ole Jensen (2009, 147) suggests that 'place is a mobility-defined spatio-temporal event that relates to the way we configure narratives of self and other'. These studies and obser vations make compelling arguments towards a more nuanced understanding of mobility and the way it engages and conceives place.
Topic: As possibly more frequently?
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 8:44:07 AM
Angel
Romany wrote:

You're right to query it Toma; it really is a horribly constructed sentence!

I expect what Siegel means is that support for educational and occupational programmes is widespread, but often wasted on people whose programmes would have succeeded without it.

Thank you Romany.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.