Interests:
Home Page http://www.leventgoktem.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 380
[0.05% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What is a phrasal verb?
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:37:30 AM
Phrasal verbs are invented to make our lives miserable.

To pull in:

[QUOTE]
I had a boys' house and was practically running the school—D'Arcy and I. We were running it together, and the Master running us. Then I made an ass of myself. It was during the holidays. I was up North at the time, giving a course of talks at an R.A.F. educational place. And I stepped out of line. Badly. They pulled me in. And along came D'Arcy wearing his country overcoat and bringing the Master's terms: Come back to Carne, my dear fellow, and we'll say no more about it; go on running your house, my dear fellow, and giving of your wisdom.
[END OF QUOTE]

Did they take him back to "the line"?
Or was he arrested?
Topic: Got his remove
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:14:29 AM
Romany wrote:

Well of course there's a promotion system in schools - when you pass your exams you get promoted to a higher class. If you don't pass you don't get promoted and have to stay in the same class for another year. Surely that's the same in Turkey?

But there is also a hierarchical structure to prepare students for life 'on the outside'. Students take part in elections of their class-mates to Monitors, Prefects, Class Leaders, Head of Games, Head Pupil etc in some schools, while in others a teachers committee decides. It's a huge honour to be the Head pupil of a school (this has nothing to do with academic excellence - its about leadership qualities.} and almost guarantees one a good start on a career path.

However, the education system has changed tremendously since this book was written - and 'removes' are a thing of the past.

Yes, the system is basically the same but we don't have your promotion system.

Only one student is elected as the leader of the class, and another student as his/her deputy. That's all.

It mostly is a "donkey work" for the poor kids.
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:19:26 AM
IMcRout wrote:
cf.:

9. (Education) Brit (in certain schools) a class or form, esp one for children of about 14 years, designed to introduce them to the greater responsibilities of a more senior position in the school. (TFD)

He was obviously made prefect later on, so he had a more senior position.

That meant nothing to me.
That definition implies a promotion system in British schools.
I don't understand.
A student either passes his/her class or not in my country and eventually graduates.
We don't get promotions.
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 4:20:18 AM
Hi,
The student "got his remove", meaning?
He passed his exams and graduated?
Or?

'Yes,' replied Simon (teacher) reflectively. 'It's been a bad week. And rather humiliating in a way. Several of the boys who were up to me for science last Half are now in Rode's (the other teacher)forms. I'd regarded one or two of them as practically unteachable, but Rode seems to have brought them on marvellously. I corrected one boy's paper—Perkins—sixty-one per cent for elementary science. Last Half he got fifteen per cent in a much easier paper. He only got his remove because Fielding (his superior) raised hell. He was in Fielding's house.'
'Oh I know—a red-haired boy, a prefect.'

Topic: Credit to the mess?
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:18:34 AM
Romany wrote:

Yep. Short and sweet.

Oh, thanks god!

And thank YOU! Applause
Topic: Credit to the mess?
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:17:59 AM
Romany wrote:
I don't think the usage is as strict as you guys are representing it.

Being a "credit to the Mess" (sorry, but to me it takes a capital letter and always will) doesn't literally mean one HAS TO even be a member of the Forces. It's like saying "He's a credit to gentlemen everywhere" or "He shows every positive trait a true gentleman displays" - especially in peace time.

My father was a career officer - but from all he and his war cronies used to natter about when I was a child, there was NO distinction between officers - among the officers. It was the enlisted men (not officers) who used to draw distinctions. While that may sound defensive, it must be remembered that career officers weren't just in for the duration - it was their career/job, so they had been in training and preparation for a long time before any major war broke out. Anyone who made it through that intensive training to officer was respected no matter their origins.

Anyway, as Leon suggested, his actual status as a member of the Forces is not as important as the fact that he was a 'true gentleman': the kind any Mess would be proud to acknowledge. Whether he was a member of any particular Mess or not. In the RAF, at least, family prestige plays no part.

"He is a real gentleman!"
That's all, I guess? :)
Topic: Surgery?
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 12:06:50 PM
thar wrote:
If he is boarding, he is cycling back to school, from a music lesson elsewhere (she is 'not staff'). Maybe the perks of being head of house. Although I don't know why that would be his favourite part of the week. Think

No, definitely no dissection, no blood, no surgical operations. Nothing like that.
In normal life it means live, but slightly ill, humans sitting in chairs and reading old magazines! Whistle . An evening surgery can only mean the time you go and see a doctor (or someone giving medical care) in the evening. That is 'evening surgery'.
What the context is at school is not clear. But I can't see how it means anything different, unless it is some bizarre public school cant - and that makes no sense in a book written for the general public, where they would take it to mean this.

As to who is at the surgery - well, if he is a schoolboy it has nothing to do with him. So the only reason to wait until after seems to be to wait for her to be available.

Thank you, Thar.
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:23:47 AM
thar wrote:
No, but I'm guessing the housekeeper patched up their wounds?
Oops, sorry - I see it was Miss Truebody. The boys' nickname for her was 'True'.

Well, her nursing duties are never mentioned in the text but this can be one explanation.
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:22:27 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
It says in the extract that Tim was riding home from school, could one of his parents be the village doctor?
He could have planned to visit Miss Truebody after their evening surgery.

No, his parents are in Singapore.

'The boy's parents are in Singapore. The father's an Army officer. Fielding sent them a telegram. We've got on to the War Office, too.'

May the surgery here be a reference to something like a frog dissection?
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:36:36 AM
Thanks for the answer, Thar.
Miss True is actually the housekeeper of Fielding.

-'Smiley? Ah! You've met True, have you—Miss Truebody, my housekeeper?"

I searched the entire text and there is no mention of her as a nurse.
Maybe the nurse is the kid with the bike?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.