Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 208
[0.02% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "on on" is clumsy
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:15:01 PM
Seriously?

The problem with the first sentence is easily fixed by changing the colloquial "going on" to the more proper "happening."

Topic: Don't Get Mad - It Can Kill You
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:29:34 PM
Geeman is correct. The real problem with anger is when it is repressed. The real problem with anger is that although all humans have anger, only a small percentage will admit to it. Own up to your anger, and your health will be much better. You don't have to yell and scream, you just have to acknowledge that you're angry.
Topic: 100 Million Americans Have Chronic Pain
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:27:49 PM
Hope1:

Have your daughter-in-law pick up a copy of this book: "Healing Back Pain." The author is Dr. John Sarno. Tell her to suspend her disbelief and read the book, over and over again if necessary. In all likelihood her pain is curable just by reading the book! Your fibromyalgia, too.

You are right to say that the brain is plastic; anything it learns can be unlearned. Your daughter-in-law has learned to expect pain, but she can learn to expect to NOT have pain, and she can make her brain change.
Topic: 100 Million Americans Have Chronic Pain
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:24:52 PM
My suspicion is that the vast majority of chronic pain is really psychosomatic in nature. People suppress negative emotions or fail to admit to themselves that they have them; they encounter a variety of stressors in everyday life, but pretend they are above them. In the end, these emotions/stressors in the unconscious mind create pain syndromes to distract you from them.

Once the pain is understood as a manifestation of psychological stressors, and attention is paid to the emotional side instead of the physical, the pains magically disappear.
Topic: One wishes someone were
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:02:18 PM
People are having a hard time understanding what it is you are trying to ask.

The problem is that there are potentially many reasons why somebody would not be your friend, and we don't know the situation. Maybe the person lives too far away, or maybe they are of a different religion or culture, or maybe they are of the opposite sex and are already married, or perhaps they just don't like you, etc., etc. The phrase you would use might depend somewhat on the situation.

Some of the other posters have already mentioned how there are also implications and insinuations in some of these phrases.

If you explained to us exactly why it is that B can't (or won't) be friends with A, we might be better able to assist you.

Topic: can i end a sentence with "with"?
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:17:51 PM
uuaschbaer wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
uuashbaer - .

[quote=kingfisher]"My friends are all busy, so I have no one with which to play."

*cough*with whom*cough*

Oh look, I coughed up a ball of pretence.

Boy, did I whiff on that one. Of course, it should have been "with whom" rather than "with which." I need to get more sleep at night. Thanks for the correction.

Topic: Do you believe before life?
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:31:31 PM
pedro wrote:

and note that LDS (latter day saints) is an anagram of LSD (lysergic acid diethyamide).Flashbacks? Coincidence I expect.

This is kind of rude and insensitive. It surprised me a little, coming from you.

Anyway, the Mormons certainly do believe in a "before life." They call it the preexistence. The belief is that God sent us here to learn and grow, the way a parent sends his/her children to school for the same purpose. For what it's worth, William Wordsworth apparently thought about the same idea; it is discussed in his poem "Ode: Intimations of Immortality." If you read the letters of John Keats to his brother, you will see that the idea of earth life as a "school" of sorts was also conceived and pretty well fleshed out by Mr. Keats, as well.

I don't think the idea is prima facie ludicrous.
Topic: can i end a sentence with "with"?
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:25:22 PM
RubyMoon wrote:
Is it acceptable to say:

My friends are all busy, so I have no one to play with.

Casually, people don't usually have a problem with the sentence you posted. Formally, the correct form would be "My friends are all busy, so I have no one with which to play." Most people who are concerned about playing with friends don't take the trouble to be formally correct; therefore, in almost all circumstances, the sentence as you have written it is fine.
Topic: death penalty .... agree or disagree?
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:20:36 PM
I disagree with the death penalty, even in cases where the person is caught red-handed and there is no doubt about his/her guilt.

I think it's wrong for the state to kill people. It does not serve as a deterrant, and it is barbaric.
Topic: rhinoplasty&mental disorder
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:14:09 PM
NancyUK wrote:
A nose job is the trivial end of this disorder.

While I was working for the Army in the UK, there was a patient seen whose leg twisted inward with the heel risen, and she was unable to walk on it. However, under anaesthetic it became clear that there was nothing wrong with her leg. The Medical Board recommended she be seen by the Mental Health department, as they felt the problem would just move elsewhere if she had the amputation that she wanted.

Unfortunately she managed to find a surgeon who did the amputation for her, and as predicted the problem then progressed to another part of her body, and she started trying to get amputation for that part too.

This illustrates that the disorder can be very serious indeed; it really doesn't just apply to people who want to make minor cosmetic changes to their appearance. It can even result in suicide.

I suppose it's a spectrum, with rhinoplasty at one end (slight BDD) and a case like the one above at the other end (severe BDD).

Agree that this is not the same thing as the body dysmorphic disorder. Could be Munchhausen's, but I doubt it. I suspect this is all psychomatic illness that stems from some deep psychologic wound/problem this person had and did not want to deal with. Deep psychologic issues often manifest as bizarre and sometimes serious physical problems.

Had she appropriately faced and dealt with the psychological issues, the physical problem would likely have resolved spontaneously.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.