User Name: clr707
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 17
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: transpose
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 7:25:57 AM
What's a Fruedian typo? :) But seriously. Could someone explain that to me? I want to know the difference between a psychological theory and simple mis-typing.
Topic: Valkyrie
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 7:09:47 AM
I liked the movie. I also wonder if a supposedly smart man like Hitler would overlook the true purpose of the document he was signing. But I choose to ignore the "what if's" in this case so I can enjoy the story. It's not like it's some sci-fi movie that's completely ridiculous or implausible.
Topic: "I could [not] care less"
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 7:04:36 AM
If people didn't care about this issue, 'could' or 'couldn't', you wouldn't think they'd answer at all.
Anyway, I support the side that says that 'I couldn't care less' means that it isn't possible to care any less than you already do, therefore expressing deep apathy towards the situation.
I hadn't really thought about the sarcastic version using 'could,', but then I realized I've also heard people shorten the 'could' version to "I could care....." That one, to me, sounds more sarcastic. "Whatever man, I could care...."
Topic: journal and diary
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:13:22 PM
[quote=curiousb]Even though the journal and the diary are both written rteflections on what happens to us or around us, I read somewhere that there is the nuance that a diary is more of a balance 50/50 of facts and emotions (you describe things and you bring your emotional reaction to them).

I'd like to reference just this part of the quote. I view the two as a combination of eachother and therefore I believe the words are interchangeable. This is only my own informal opinion- I'm not trying to argue with the actual definition. Anyway, I find myself reporting things that have happened throughout my life in spurts. Sometimes I'll write about a continuous experience for weeks as though I'm telling someone a story. It's more for myself to read later so I make sure I can remember every little detail. While explaining what's going on, I also express my feelings. It's not just an account documenting events. There is real emotion involved. I feel it's very therapeutic because I can behonest and no one will feel bad or argue.
Topic: Why are people so prejudiced against India?
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:07:19 AM
kisholoy.............I'm trying to think if there is a single word for what you're mentioning about the maximizing the number of customers attended. We just try to keep the call volume down. If there's one word for it, I don't know about it. Sorry. :)
I like that we're talking about this because, while there are only a few people participating in this forum, it still shows their desire to advocate fairness towards indian people (as well as anybody) who work call centers. It's a common stereotype that probably will never go away, but it's nice to see the expression of positive energy.
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:45:49 PM
rosicrucian wrote:
clr707 wrote:
Thank goodness you all have at least switched back to discussing something productive. I've been following the posts and it got pretty silly there for awhile. Good to see that, while it seems to have shifted to the more religious side of things, it's back to a topic that's similar to the initial one. I like reading this. I'm learning a lot.

I just want to say one thing though. I work in a call center and whenever agents from India or the Philippines call in, they always give american names. "Hi this is William from Travelocity." "Hello this is Jennifer from Cheapoair." It sounds so out of place. I don't like how they have to use pretend names just so "we" can understand. They shouldn't have to. When I ask them about it they can be pretty funny though. I like it when I get nice people. It's so refreshing.

Okay. That's all. Continue. Applause

I think they're just doing their jobs and following company protocol. I've known someone who works in
a call center and shared his story on how they are being treated by some people calling customer service.
I put empathy on what he had told me and I didn't know what should I feel to foreigners. Some people are very irate and using profane words especially when they knew that they're not talking to an American. Discrimination enters.

I completely understand what you're saying, rosicrucian. I agree that they're just doing their job. I also agree that some customers can be VERY rude and disrepsectful to people who are also just trying to do their jobs. I know why they have them change their names, and I don't criticize it. I just don't like that it's even necessary to go to that measure. Why can't we all just accept eachother? (And our names.) Think
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 12:40:08 PM
LeadPal wrote:
clr707 wrote:
I just want to say one thing though. I work in a call center and whenever agents from India or the Philippines call in, they always give american names. "Hi this is William from Travelocity." "Hello this is Jennifer from Cheapoair." It sounds so out of place. I don't like how they have to use pretend names just so "we" can understand. They shouldn't have to. When I ask them about it they can be pretty funny though. I like it when I get nice people. It's so refreshing.

That reminds me a little of this article, though clearly those are very different circumstances.

I absolutely LOVED this article, LeadPal. Thank you very much for recommending it.
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 7:01:49 PM
Thank goodness you all have at least switched back to discussing something productive. I've been following the posts and it got pretty silly there for awhile. Good to see that, while it seems to have shifted to the more religious side of things, it's back to a topic that's similar to the initial one. I like reading this. I'm learning a lot.

Okay. That's all. Continue. Applause
Topic: Common Sense?
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 10:22:46 AM
Let's see. I just thought common sense referred to something a person "ought to know." It's assumed that everybody knows (not to be dangerous Whistle ) what will happen if........or what should be done in when.........I feel like different people possess different levels of it. One person may have more insight on something that someone else couldn't see. It's almost like instinct.

But then it seems we tend to say that a person either has common sense or he doesn't. If Person A would have known what was going to happen if he did such and such while Person B did not, Person A might say that Person B has "no common sense." But Person B may have more insight on something else that Person A couldn't see.

I don't know!!!!! What do others think about this?
Topic: What to YOU find funny?
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 8:17:31 AM
I guess it depends on which kind of funny we're talking about. Are we talking about amusing funny or are we talking about bust up unexpectedly funny? There are plenty of things that make me smile because they're clever or silly, but cracking up uncontrollably is the best.

My sister and I have this silliness that makes me laugh so incredibly hard. I mean, it's impossible to stop. My laugh turns to silence because I'm just engrossed in it. At her wedding I tried to give a speech, but the second I looked in her eye I just lost it. That feels so good. The whole laugh/cry thing is an amazing emotion- one of my favorites.

Another thing that makes me want to laugh is when someone in a position of authority gets REALLY mad at me. It's gotten me in trouble. I don't know if it's due to nervousness or what, but my parents used to get SOOOOO angry when they would yell at me and I cracked a smile. Teachers too. I just can't help it sometimes. It's not intentional. Something about it just makes me laugh.