Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Adjective vs. adverb
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:05:05 AM
Thanks to all for your input. I think we will go with "Add an onion, sliced thin." Or "1 onion, sliced thin," or whatever the quantity was.
Topic: Adjective vs. adverb
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 12:10:19 PM
I am helping... or meddling... as my wife composes a cookbook. We are wondering about the following choice:

Add an onion, sliced thinly.
Add an onion, sliced thin.

"Thin" seems to sound right; you would say "He was knocked flat"; not "knocked flatly."

On the other hand, you would sing cheerfully, not sing cheerful.

The difference might be that the verb "slice" is used in a "cause to become" situation. After you do the slicing, the onion is in thin pieces, not thinly pieces.

You could slice carefully, but that isn't about the condition of the onion afterwards.
Topic: Instead of me or instead of I?
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 11:59:59 AM
Technically, none of the above. Instead of MY trying to fix the problem. "Trying" is the object of the preposition. These days, though, many people would use "me." Never "instead of I."

You could rephrase it as "Instead of expecting me to fix it, you should upgrade the software." Then "me" becomes a direct object.
Topic: mispronunciation
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 11:34:26 AM
Columbiabear wrote:
Am I the only one who has noticed the appearance of the silent 'I' in words ending in .....ile? Mobile, hostile, fragile, docile etc, have become moble, hostle, fragle and docle, is this a peculiarly American pronunciation like the dreaded deniss,(dentist) and anardica for Antarctica? Just lazy or a movement of change in the language?

In the U. S. it is usual to pronounce those -ile words without the long "i" sound. Also, we say "missile" the same as "missal." In the 1970s or so, there was a fad among CB (citizen's band) users to say "mobile" with the long vowel when referring to a two-way radio in a vehicle. I always assumed this was intended to be humorous. Granted, you probably don't find it humOURous.

"Deniss" and "anardica," however, can be just as annoying to Americans as to Brits.
Topic: What is the origin of the $ symbol?
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 11:19:41 AM
Long ago I read that the S-shaped dollar sign came from a shilling that was once used in North America. That may have been somebody's guess, of course.
Topic: unpleasant sounds
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 10:59:01 AM
JPK wrote:
Galad wrote:
If you're referring to appearance alone, then the Xylo- always gets me, so here's my vote:

Xylobalsamum - (Med.) The dried twigs of a Syrian tree.

Proof that beauty is in the eye/mind of the beholder: Xylobalsamum is an awesome word and I might have to include it in my vocabulary! If there is some strange-looking version of its plural, that would be awesome! (Xylobalsamae? I don't have Latin pluralization rules under my nose right now... is it even Latin? looks like it to me!)

For me, the ugliness of a word would depend on my mood. But anyhow...
"Xylobalsamum" apparently came from Greek through Latin, changing the ending -on to -um along the way. Either way, the plural should end in -a.
Greek with the original -on ending: phenomenon/phenomena
Greek with -on to -um change: pericardium/pericardia
Latin with -um: omentum/omenta [although omentums is also used]
It is Latin singular -a that changes to -ae: conjunctiva/conjunctivae

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.