The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Yorker
About
User Name: Yorker
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Classical Music, Geology, Archeology, English History, Art and Crafts and Gardening
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 687
[0.07% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Where Were You When the World Ended?
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:58:13 PM
I didn't even know until today the world had been DOOMED to end yesterday. It would have come as a complete shock to me, which is probably the best way to end your life.

To all those who believed it. Hey! Cheer up, it's not the end of the world!!!!

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric. - Bertrand Russell
Topic: your favorite attire
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:15:50 AM
I like rich colours for casual or semi casual wear. Love leggings with boots in winter, lots of layers on top or a hand knitted thigh length jersey. I buy what I like and not what fashion dictates. I hate clothing that is restrictive e.g. stockings, tights etc. For dressing up: I am most comfortable wearing a long black skirt and sexy top with a 'throw over' and again worn with boots. I adore boots, mainly black, at the last count 14 pairs; you might say it's becoming an obsession, but one I can live with.

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric. - Bertrand Russell
Topic: 9999 looked so good
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:37:21 AM
Congrats JJ or should I call you Deuteronomy or perhaps Mr. Mistoffelees.

May you continue to be a friend to all on TFD, or almost all.

Topic: Surrounded By Symbology
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 5:16:57 AM
Dreamy

Should making fake crop circles be illegal, Yorker?

Yes definitely, if found making the crop circles these people should be prosecuted, and also pay the farmer compensation for the loss of the crop. If on the other hand, it is seen as a tourist venture and it is done with the farmer’s permission, let him also share in the profits – that’s capitalism.

We have a summer maze locally for tourists, designed by one of the local farmers. The design changes each year, this year it’s an aeroplane. It is planted with high growing maize, the kids love it. From the air I am sure it looks fantastic. Now, this is useful landscape art with a purpose in mind, a fun day for families - the farmer makes a profit from both the growing maize, the maze and refreshments.

Crop circles are a form of landscape art and it appears to be appreciated around the world, even wallabies are now in on the act: Stoned wallabies making crop circles: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8118257.stm

Topic: Earth from Above
Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:30:11 PM
Thanks Christine, they are stunning pictures. Makes think of all the wonderful places I haven't seen yet and would love to visit if I live long enough.

Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 5:23:26 PM
Dreamy

Most mainstream scientists believe the only explanation for crop circles lies in the footboards of hoaxers. I agree with JJ, there are a lot of theories which contain lots of pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo. Some crop circles can be put down to freak weather conditions such as mini vortexes and I have seen this in a field of corn, but it wasn’t a crop circle. The wind funneled its way through the trees at the corner of the field and flattened the corn in a long wide path straight through the centre of the field, the poor farmer lost half his crop.

Complex crop circles are the work of terrestrial beings armed with string, ladders, planks and a great sense of humour. 90% of crop circles are found only in Britain, what so special about Britain’s corn fields? Why don't we get desert circles, forest circles, pasture circles, pebble circles or in winter, snow circles? If superior beings are our alleged visitors, I would expect them to do something a little more impressive than flatten down a bit of corn.

Hundreds of Americans flock to the UK every year on "crop circle tours" which are reported to be a sell-out. This is great for the tourist trade but not so good for the farmers as it costs them thousands each year in damaged crops.

Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 5:54:43 AM
Cereology (plural cereologies) - The investigation of or practice of creating crop circles.

I kid you not. A cereologist is the name given to a person who makes crop circles or crop designs, or, as it is also known, agriglyphs or landscape art. Extraterrestrials sending us complex messages from distant galaxies? I don't think so. Some even maintain that aliens are trying to communicate with us using ancient Sumerian symbols or symbolic representations of alien DNA. No, just a couple of guys, Doug Bower and David Chorley who admitted to hoaxing approximately 250 circles over many years. They created highly complex design and thoroughly enjoyed the world wide interest in their artwork. Despite a film showing them making these circles on national tv, gullible tourists came to stare in wonder, insisting they were the work of extraterrestrials!!!

Others cerealogists (?) have now taken over from Dough and David and continue their nightly creations in the cereal fields of southern England. My personal opinion, they are fantastic artworks but sadly only appreciated from the air and only for a short time.

Some interesting sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circle#Bower_and_Chorley

History of crop circles: http://www.crystalinks.com/croptheories.html

Topic: Every home needs a Harvey
Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2010 2:45:36 PM
Epiphileon wrote:

Funny he doesn't look like a six foot rabbit.

Ah! You mean Harvey the Pooka, the invisible six foot rabbit. Now, we wouldn’t want Harvey the fox terrier to be that big and invisible too. A six foot fox terrier polishing my shoes with heavy dog breath, now that would be a BIG no no.

Topic: Every home needs a Harvey
Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2010 9:39:42 AM
One of the best adverts of 2010 on British TV:

Every home needs a Harvey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzgkMsf_GQ&feature=related

My place needs a Harvey urgently, does anybody elses?

Topic: Reasons NOT to call 911 (police)
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 7:49:45 PM
Time wasters are everywhere, eight out of 10 calls to the emergency 999 service of the South Yorkshire Police are non emergency.

Here's a few weird ones:

1. My hamster's got out its cage and is in the floorboards
2. My rabbit doesn't have floppy ears
3. I've just been splashed by a car
4. I'd like to order a taxi
5. I need help with a crossword
6. My mobile phone's run out of credit

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.