Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 929
[0.11% of all post / 0.31 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Best Science Fiction book ever.
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:11:25 PM
Thanks, Drag0n! Those books look like a lot of fun; I'll have to read them next. None of my friends seem to have heard of Discworld, and I'm having trouble describing the series. I usually end up recounting some lead-up to a terrible pun and laughing, which doesn't help my case.

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. --Dorothy Parker
Topic: There are men who could neither be distressed nor won into a sacrifice of their duty; but this stern virtue is the growth of...
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:37:55 PM
I think it's especially true as you get older and as you have kids. It's easy to say you'd never give in or compromise when you're young, but if the person pushing you could cut off your income and make your kids go hungry, you may find you're not as wed to principle as you thought. I don't think it makes you a bad person, just not a heroic one. [Of course, the giving in and compromises still have limits--most people have a stopping point regardless of suffering.]

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. --Dorothy Parker
Topic: Dear Esther
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:17:47 PM
Dear Esther is about a man who loses his wife and unborn baby in a tragic accident. He addresses her memory, and the narrative draws together his slowly unraveling sanity, his research about a mysterious island, his grief, and some mysterious things he observes while making his way across the island after having been injured. It's a beautiful kind of living story, where the "player" wanders the island reading these mysterious messages from the missing man and tries to piece together what's happened. It's not supposed to be taken as poetry only, and it's not a game in the traditional sense. The messages are written this way and you don't know if it's because the person writing them is feverish, or having supernatural experiences, or is going mad. Maybe he's even gaining spiritual insight and trying to express what he feels. It would be hard to translate because some parts can be taken literally (a real aerial on a tower) and some symbolically (the aerial can also mean picking up feelings or memories).

Topic: Grimms' Fairy Tales
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:05:11 PM
I feel as if something has been lost between the original fairy tales and what I've got in my edition of Grimms'. Not only do the stories often take ugly twists, but a lot of the plot points seem really random. Sure, the originals were grittier than we're used to, but sometimes someone dies or is punished and there doesn't seem to be any logical sense to it, quite apart from "cruel" or "kind." I get the feeling there is either some cultural reference that didn't need explaining back in the day and does now, or that a part of the story was just left out somehow.

Topic: G.K. Chesterton
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:57:37 PM
Love his line, "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly," meaning that you shouldn't have to be an artist to draw or a talented musician to play an instrument.

Topic: Jane Austen is still current to this day
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:33:28 AM
Well, that was unexpected! I had no idea--thanks for the article, Yakcal. I've got to show that to my Austen-loving friends. Wish she'd had time to write more...

Topic: Best Science Fiction book ever.
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 11:59:17 PM
Do Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels count as scifi? I'm just finding them (yeah, 20 years late), and love them. But maybe they're more fantasy or something else?

Topic: Old Dog
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:20:54 AM
Thanks for the kind-hearted answers and the understanding. I really appreciate them. I'm sorry I was angry about the self-righteous responses, but, lol, the dog was up for an extended period at 3 a.m. and I'm so tired that coffee just made me shaky and cranky.

I do understand that putting down the dog would be a convenience for us and that if he's not doing more than limping occasionally and avoiding what bothers him, he's not terminal yet. And contrary to the accusations that I'm some sort of monster who treats her pets like kleenex, I do love the dog. Good heavens, I've been sleeping on the couch for a year, I've been too tired to spend time with the kids because of being up with the dog, and I fall asleep at my desk and have to open all the car windows and blast the radio to stay awake for my commute (not so fun in winter). My husband lifts the dog in and out of his truck for all the vet trips and cleans the porch every day. We're not cruel and heartless, just really, really, really tired. Be idealistic all you want, tell me how you'd handle things in my shoes, and be proud of yourselves for not being evil like I am. But I hope you don't have to live like this because it wears you down.

Topic: Old Dog
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:53:28 AM
Okay, I expected advice more than condemnation of me as a person, but I did ask. I do have to say that we don't put Grandma on a leash when we take her outside, we don't feed Grandpa out of a bowl, and we don't leave Uncle Charlie locked in the house when we go to the store. I don't think having a pet is exactly like living with a relative. But I appreciate now that I don't know what love is. Thank God Children's Services hasn't heard of me yet.

Topic: Clay Animation
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:38:00 AM
W&G forever!!! Cheeeese!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.