Interests: Fun
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 702
[0.07% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What kind of overalls are these?
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 7:42:14 AM
They are sci-fi "farmer" type "industrial" overalls with straps and which doesn't show (perceivedly) much skin.

It's just like the Nike Sneakers in "Back to the future" whose straps arrange themselves for the perfect fit,

or the Light Sabers in Star Wars which are powered by midi-chlorians (a.k.a. the Force)

Edit : midi-chlorians, not mithiclorians, my deepest apologies for the misprint. And lightsabers were powered by Kyber crystals, not the Force. Sorry d'oh!

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
Topic: Yistr
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 7:28:40 AM
Dear Nightdream,

It saddens me greatly to see that you have not benefitted from the forum members' advices.

In your future stories, please choose your words with extreme caution, the correct words will make your story great or boring.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
Topic: Reaching Critical Mass on Mass Shootings - "The Lancet"
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 1:55:34 AM
In Turkey, we have somewhat strict gun control laws. Sale and posession of assault rifles and repeating fire arms are illegal, rifles are under strict control but you can easily, quickly and quite cheaply buy a hunting gun (shotgun variants).

But if you are bold enough, or don't mind the illegality, Syria and Northern Iraq is just around the corner. You can get anything you want.

The shootings (which are not related to organised crime) in Turkey are mostly due to road rage or "honor/custom."

Road rage, I'm sure you can understand: any aggressive, or perceivedly aggressive, action in traffic (if not crowned by an accident) may 50% of the time end in bloodshed. If an accident does happen, both parties will get off their vehicles, ask the other party if they are OK, file an insurance application form, and peacefully leave the accident zone (which I find is morbidly funny).

"Honor/custom" is harder to explain; men with low education levels and income, when faced with their spouses' request for divorce, almost always spend their last money on buying a shotgun, ask their spouse for a meeting in a public place, then shoot their spouse in front of many witnesses (which may include their own children of any age) then fail to commit suicide.

Topic: EU data collection
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 5:17:31 AM

Topic: "denies" vs. "denied"
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 4:27:41 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
(1) Susan denies breaking the window.

(2) Susan denies having broken the window.

(3) Susan denied breaking the window.

(4) Susan denied having broken the window.

Question 1:

Are (1) and (2) both natural?

Question 2:

Do you think (3) is much more common than (4)?

I'm assuming (3) and (4) have the same meaning, but I'm guessing (4) sounds a little formal to native English speakers' ear. I'm not sure if (4) is better in formal writing.

You may come across (1) in a legal document, maybe, a court record, or a news report on a court case.
She has denied it, and insists that it wasn't her who broke the window.

I don't think you'll come across (2).

(3) seems natural and you may come across this kind of reported speech on a Daily basis, esp. if you have small children in the house Anxious .

(4) would sound better if it were "Susan denied that she had broken the window."

Topic: lash a horse on, pat a horse on
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:40:08 AM
"2) He rode his horse, patting him on his blades and thighs." This would be too a gentle way to ride a horse, it won't give the intense meaning you want to relay.

"1) The boy built himself a spear and a sword, rode his horse harshly, causing him to rear; rode him hard, lashing on his groin; rode him hard, lashing on his thighs; rode him hard, lashing him on the croup and got to the king’s palace with his clothes fluttering." This sounds better but there's still something amiss, that I cannot quite put my finger on.

Topic: lash a horse on, pat a horse on
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:27:07 AM
Patting is a hand gesture :

Lashing is someyhing else :

Topic: to ask smth. from smb.
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:08:58 AM
I've heard this format before : '"Why not ask her for the coat?", she thought.' and "Ask him for the chest."

but not '"Why not ask the coat from her?", she thought' and "Ask the chest from him."

Topic: are both questions correct?
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:42:00 AM
Looks fine to me.

However, instead of "argue", you may want to use "bargain" or "negotiate" :

Quote:
...you have to argue with the stall-holder about how much to pay.

Topic: What, how ...
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 9:58:43 AM
Milk is uncountable, so I have my reservations regarding "What a delicious milk!" but "What a delicious glass of milk!" might be better.

"What a delicious glass of milk it is!", I don't think so.

"How delicious!" I didn't come accross such usage.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.